[Mk2] [Generic] Please every IMOC member out there help!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

InFaMou$

[Mk2] [Generic] Please every IMOC member out there help!!!

Post by InFaMou$ »

I have a mk2 rev1 n/a, and have had it serviced about 2000 miles ago, just today i checked the oil and it was really low already my dad reckons its burning oil and might need new ring, the engine does smell quit a bit even after a short run and without beasting it. what else could be the problem and how much do you think it will cost to fix it? if its even worth fixing or whats the best possible way to diagnose the problem.

Much appreciated for anyones help on this....

Craig :(
Dame

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Please every IMOC member out there help!!!

Post by Dame »

Ok, start with the following:

1. Take a look under the car, are there any obvious oil leaks, are there any oil patches on the ground underneath?

2. Does the car emit a blue smoke when running? If so then it's burning oil.

3. If you want to check the piston rings, or bore wear, you'll need to get a garage to perform a compression test. This will let you know if any oil is getting past the cylinders.

4. What's the porformance like? Has it dropped off recently. Is the car difficult to start. If the answer to either of these is yes, that could be a result of a loss of compression.
anna

Post by anna »

Dame wrote:Ok, start with the following:

1. Take a look under the car, are there any obvious oil leaks, are there any oil patches on the ground underneath?

3. If you want to check the piston rings, or bore wear, you'll need to get a garage to perform a compression test. This will let you know if any oil is getting past the cylinders.

4. What's the porformance like? Has it dropped off recently. Is the car difficult to start. If the answer to either of these is yes, that could be a result of a loss of compression.

Yep - all of the above.
You can do a compression test yourself - you can buy the tester from halfords etc. You will be looking for one cylinder to have a lower or higher reading than the others. It is also worth checking the ends of the spark plugs as you take them out (to do the compression test) to see if there is more buildup on one of them than the others.
If there is only a small variation in readings, and the sparkies look similar, then it's prolly not the piston rings.
fishyboy

Post by fishyboy »

i had a similar problem a while back and was thinking along the same lines as the others. I ended up doing a complete oil flush. Then when i was adding new oil i left it 30 mins and checked it again. I had to add a fair amount more compared to the first time. It must've been to do with the oil filtering it's way through all the components. This might be a simple solution as the garage you took it to might not have put enough oil in, in the first place. That's only if there are no visible oil leaks or blue smoke coming from the exhaust. HTH

let us know how you get on. :thumleft:
InFaMou$

Post by InFaMou$ »

Dame wrote:Ok, start with the following:

Right checked all this and there is nothing happening that you mensioned in the 1st step or the 2nd, my dad reckons that even if i did a compression test it doesnt mean it will nessaceraly pick up that my piston ring would need changing or not, the performance seems good, and the car starts within 2 seconds of turning the key everytime which aint bad for 15 years old i dont think.

What about oil? Cause the guy who serviced it reckon'd even before the service that he didnt think it was a good idea to put full synth (10w40) oil in when it propbably has always had xxxx oil in?

Thanks for your help thus far everyone, really appreciated.

Craig
anna

Post by anna »

10W40 ain't that bad... and too be fair, I put 0W40 in our mk1 NA with 150,000 and it didn't use a drop. If there are no signs of leaks, then you *should* be alright.

A compression test would show up if there 'definitely' was a problem, so might be worth it if you're worried.
Otherwise, maybe keep an eye on the oil levels for a bit. it's possible the garage didn't do a great job at filling it back up :-k
InFaMou$

Post by InFaMou$ »

Right first things first, were the hell do you get 0w40 from and secondly just an update.....

When i checked the oil level today, the engine was cold and the level was fine????? Any ideas cause when i check it and it was low the engine was hot??? am i just bein an idiot?

Craig
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

you should check it when it's cold - all the oil will have returned to the sump.

when hot, the oil is thin, and is spread all over the inside of the engine, therefore sump levels will be lower.

hth

ian
stevek

burning oil

Post by stevek »

Hi just another line to think of is if its burning oil could also be valve guides and valve oil seals
regards Steve
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I would say that the checks your asking this Guy to do are Over kill at this point.

I agree with the visual inspection for leaks, and exellent point made, clarify what oil the Garage used.

I would asdvise you do drain oil and top back up with a good viscosity oil
not a no brand..Measure using the side of the container or a 5L jug how much oil your car takes make a note,,, Then do 1000 mile on this oil,, drain oil out into a jug and measure the diffrence..

What you have said I dont think your stem seals are shot you have not mentiond plooms of blue smoke on start up which are charcteristics of valve stem oil seals,,

Rings Yeah possibly :-k if they where that shot then you would have some starting issues , lack of compression lack of performance blue smoke under load.. and the compression check does 'definitely' not show piston ring faults it could just be a cold start problem where the rings are sticking due to carbon build up then free off when hot.

There is nuemerous things that could be at fault or not in this case

This guy could drive like a loony and be burning oil :mrgreen:
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

if your testing oil level, only test when cold!! or as above there will be oil all over in the engine and you do not get a true level, as you have seen.
if it is full when cold then your level is perfectly fine, its totally normal for oil level to drop when the engine is warm because its still coating the internals and pipes until it cools and settles.
attercop

Post by attercop »

InFaMou$ wrote:Right first things first, were the hell do you get 0w40 from and secondly just an update.....

When i checked the oil level today, the engine was cold and the level was fine????? Any ideas cause when i check it and it was low the engine was hot??? am i just bein an idiot?

Craig

There's a Mobile 1 0W40 at some of the bigger Motor Worlds but i'd say that oil would be too thin unless you're driving around in the arctic. :?

Wouldn't go thinner than 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity myself. Magnatec 10W40 highly recommended for English weather range.
InFaMou$

Post by InFaMou$ »

Thanks guys!!! All is well with my 2, just a miss understanding but have learnt alot on the outcome of this post.

Oh and Leakie Tbar i dont drive like a looney cheers, lol.

Return to “Mechanical”