My MR2 rev 3 turbo VS Vauxhall VX220 turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

My MR2 rev 3 turbo VS Vauxhall VX220 turbo

Post by ryan »

Well, this was a quick bit of metal!

Was behind him last night, though not tailgating. We come off a roundabout, im in second waiting for him to nail it, but he doesnt, so I change up into 3rd at low revs and he guns it! He pulls out 2 car lengths before my turbo spools into life, then were off, and I can't gain at all! The car was running about 16psi (just over 1 bar).
We got to about 110mph and sensibly decided to slow down. I guess if i'd still been in 2nd gear i'd have not had him pull out those 2 lengths as he caught me by surprise.
I think the bhp/tone is slightly better on those as they're just under a tonne in weight I think? :?
Gefunk

Re: My MR2 rev 3 turbo VS Vauxhall VX220 turbo

Post by Gefunk »

Fast cars and big respect for them, they weigh less than a ton 930 kg and have 2.2 Turbo lump....Scary thing is it has only 200 bhp and nail and shame more powerful cars, one around my way with 270 bhp and that fly's!

Gav
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm surprised that the VX200 Turbo isn't more popular than it is. After all, it's got the nice bits from a Lotus Elise, as well as a decently powered engine to match.

I guess the badge lets it down/puts people off, which is a shame as it's a cracking motor.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Gefunk »

agree there, its a great car...not the best looking, but a great performer. I mean its a super car killer for hatchback money that what i calll cool :D

Gav
couldnt_think_of_a_name

Post by couldnt_think_of_a_name »

fantasic cars, they own pretty much everything !!
ryan

Post by ryan »

This VX was silver and I must say it did look vey nice from behind even though it was dark!
I think the badge does put people off; perhaps they should call it the Holden VX220?
...and when are they going to start shipping over the Aussie Holden Monaro Ute (pickup)? They look ever better than the saloon! :)

Am I becoming a Vauxhall lover :oops:
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Gefunk wrote:Fast cars and big respect for them, they weigh less than a ton 930 kg and have 2.2 Turbo lump....Scary thing is it has only 200 bhp and nail and shame more powerful cars, one around my way with 270 bhp and that fly's!

Gav

I thought the Turbo came with a 2litre engine and the 2.2 was an N/A?

:D
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

You're right. I think the N/A only puts out something like 150 BHP or so, but the body is about as light as a shopping trolley.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nige wrote:You're right. I think the N/A only puts out something like 150 BHP or so, but the body is about as light as a shopping trolley.

Stock one 145bhp from a 2.2, but it quite torquey.

They are not actually that light (>900kgs) particularly so when you compare them to an early elise (720kgs).
Gefunk

Post by Gefunk »

yeah sorry the your right n/a is a 2.2 and the tubby 2ltr. I thought they were pretty cheaply priced not when i looked at one today and it was 26k ! Get a r33 and plump a few grand into and it will still be quicker and have room for the kids and changed to run the thing lol

Gav
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gefunk wrote:yeah sorry the your right n/a is a 2.2 and the tubby 2ltr. I thought they were pretty cheaply priced not when i looked at one today and it was 26k ! Get a r33 and plump a few grand into and it will still be quicker and have room for the kids and changed to run the thing lol

Gav

You can pick up a VX220 NA for around 12k these days.
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

Gefunk wrote:yeah sorry the your right n/a is a 2.2 and the tubby 2ltr. I thought they were pretty cheaply priced not when i looked at one today and it was 26k ! Get a r33 and plump a few grand into and it will still be quicker and have room for the kids and changed to run the thing lol

Gav

Buy a VX220 and up it to 300bhp and then nothing will come past
craig

Post by craig »

Ain't they something like 4.5 0-60?

2.2 ltr Turbo powered PEA :lol:

Very nice cars tho...........for a Vauxhall :wink:
Azz

Post by Azz »

I had a VX220 tubby behind me one night on a dual carriage way and another VX220 behind him, all I could here was
BRRRRRRRRRR PTSSShhhhhhhh BRRR PTSSShhhhhhhh :D
and then he swung out and was trying to pass so dropped it to 3rd and nailed it, he was sat at the side screwing it! and never gained on me at all must have got to about 90-100 and he backed off in the end, the yellow one was no ware so I think that was not playing or a non turbo, maybe coz it was a rolling start but I would imaging from a standing start it might be a different story!
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

They are very quick cars, just the suspension is very wallowy, and they are incredibly tail happy! And this was in the dry! I reckon on a track the MR2 would have the edge, as the VX220 requires a high level of driver skill to keep it in a straight line at speed (ie not drifting)
CJ B

Post by CJ B »

The Morris wrote:

Gav

Buy a VX220 and up it to 300bhp and then nothing will come past

Except for an Arial Atom http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/frames.htm
220BHP vtec and 456KG road legal!

Lap times:-
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Did you not see the Atom on Topgear the other week? Supercharged Vtec 300bhp!! Mr Clarkson reckoned with the quickest gear change ever it was possible to do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds!!

Now thats quick!

Jimbo

Return to “Driving Experiences”