Unichip up north

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

greeny

Unichip up north

Post by greeny »

Can anyone help! Just rebuilding 3sgte and hoping to get over 300bhp out of her, and when she's all done i want to get her all set up with a unichip on a rolling road to get the most out her, does anyone know of a decent (no chumps!) tuner up in the north east (near hull, Grimsby, Lincoln Scunthorpe) that can do the job of fitting and setting it all up? any help would be great as i cant find anyone!
Thanks Michael.
GIJOE90

Re: Unichip up north

Post by GIJOE90 »

greeny wrote:Can anyone help! Just rebuilding 3sgte and hoping to get over 300bhp out of her, and when she's all done i want to get her all set up with a unichip on a rolling road to get the most out her, does anyone know of a decent (no chumps!) tuner up in the north east (near hull, Grimsby, Lincoln Scunthorpe) that can do the job of fitting and setting it all up? any help would be great as i cant find anyone!
Thanks Michael.

I got this reply from Stuart Burns, the Unichip rep.

"Your nearest dealer (we have over 50 in the UK with another 50 waiting in the wings to be rolled out over the next year) would be Dennis Vessey Tuning, Barnetby, North Lincolnshire, DN38 6HN, Tele 01652 688904."

I live in Scunny btw.

Joe
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

greeny wrote:Can anyone help! Just rebuilding 3sgte and hoping to get over 300bhp out of her, and when she's all done i want to get her all set up with a unichip on a rolling road to get the most out her, does anyone know of a decent (no chumps!) tuner up in the north east (near hull, Grimsby, Lincoln Scunthorpe) that can do the job of fitting and setting it all up? any help would be great as i cant find anyone!
Thanks Michael.

If you don't mind a little drive i can recommend Geoff Bloor in Nottingham. 0115-982-1803.

He knows his way round tubbys and is a bit of a turbo guru. He's been a dastek/unichop dealer for years.
dj_davo

Post by dj_davo »

while we're talking unichip i wonder if you all could answer this question,.

i've always been led to believe that the unichip will give you all the nice things, i.e upped boost, tweak fuel cut, delimit, tweaked fuelling etc. but lately people are telling me that the unichip doesn't control (alter) boost pressure and that you still need a 3rd party boost controller, be it a g-valve or electronic?

is this right?
i dont fancy paying 600 quid or so for a unichip and rr session and then be told i need to fork out another 200 quid for a boost module.

please tell me im being told wrong and the unichip does tweak the boost. [-o<

p.s sorry for the thread hijack :wink:
steve b

Post by steve b »

£450 unichip and mapping +£200 boost module, but boost module on my rev2 wasn't worth it as my vsv is too slow, so i use a grainger valve. I'm told the rev3 VSV is far superior and works well with the boost module.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Yeah, Steve's comments echo what I've been told. This is the combo fitted to my own car (same price £646 all-in), works a treat! :D Im sure Dino (MR2Mania) would be able to give chapter & verse as he was still at Owen Dev. when I had my car done!
greeny

Post by greeny »

thanks for the replies lads. :)
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

despite the hype they dont delimit - it will control boost but you need an aftermarket valve for rev 1 or 2. IMO they are simply not worth the money - and ive got one!
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Just had a Unichip fitted at Ric Woods in Stockport. It was the final mod for the moment for my rev 2. Had Greddy intercooler, Downpipe, FCD and Grainger fitted by Rogue two weeks ago set to 1 bar (already had Apexi induction and a decent exhaust). Power run at Thor afterwards gave 218bhp at the hubs at 5250 rpm.

After Unichip power was up throughout the rev range but most above 5000rpm as the over fuelling was sorted out. Now got 240rwhp and very pleased!

Could have had Unichip control boost but chose not to as present set up is fine.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Geoff Munt wrote:Yeah, Steve's comments echo what I've been told. This is the combo fitted to my own car (same price £646 all-in), works a treat! :D Im sure Dino (MR2Mania) would be able to give chapter & verse as he was still at Owen Dev. when I had my car done!

As people have said, the Unichip seems to control the VSV of the Rev3 better than it does on older Revs. Maybe this is because the VSV on the Rev3 was intended to be pulsed, rather than just switched on and off as is the case with the Rev1/2?

Personally, I would recommend that people use something like the grainger valve for boost control, or if you could stretch to it, a dedicated electronic boost controller. The problem with the Unichip's control of boost (at present!) is that it doesn't do closed loop boost control. Also, if you make certain mods that could change the way the car boosts, it could be that you now get overboost, and because you can't access the Unichip yourselves to change the boost control, you'll need to go back to a dealer to get this sorted. If you don't, you could have problems! :?

The new model of the Unichip, when launched, will offer a LOT more features, including closed loop boost control, and so you will not need other controllers, but no one knows when it will be launched.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Modifications”