[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension.....Judder at 70??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dave81

[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension.....Judder at 70??

Post by Dave81 »

Hi all.

For a while now i've noted that when motorway driving i'm getting judder/feedback through the steering wheel at around 70mph!

Have also been told by Rogue that i could do with having my wheel alignment done. The tyres are wearing on the inside on the front.

I've got Tein type HA Coilovers on all four corners.

So...i decided to Email Weston Performance in Birmingham stating the above, after some good reports from people on here.

They quoted me 3.5 hours and £200 to do full suspension geometry. #-o

Am i the only one who thinks thats a tad bit expensive??

Looking for advice on what really needs doing to solve the above problems, what to do and where else to go? :pray:
TBDevelopments

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension.....Judder at 70??

Post by TBDevelopments »

chemix do full lazer allignment buddy, £70 very good as well.

place in dudley and stourbridge, so prietty local for you.

My allignment was all over the place, so they reset it all to factory. ok i now have a slight judder like you at 70 but i've found thats common place with aftermarket wheels/suspension and standard wheel alignments.

but for the work i can't fault them.

Tim
xxxx
poser

Post by poser »

A four-wheel laser alignment cost me £20 at Spon End Tyres in Coventry and has helped no end - my tyres were also wearing badly on the inside. The guy couldn't believe how bad the tracking was :oops:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Thanks Guys,

Tim, forgot we spoke about Chemix. #-o

I'll give them a call and see what they can do. :thumleft:
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

no probs buddy. did a good job on mine :)

Tim
xxxx
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Are your wheels balanced correctly??

You should have no feeback at all when driving with a properly setup car. Possibly look for play in your steering rack too.

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

70mph judder is a very common problem with aftermarket sized wheels and suspension nath.

its usually a tweek to the toe adjustment that resolves it over it being a failure of a component.

Tim
xxxx
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Don't forget kurbing damage can make wheels oval (ish) and thus balance on the machine but judder on the road. PM "Gersen" on the IMOC for more info on this one, he had loads of fun with his Mk1 until he realised previous to his purchase the wheels had been made 'not round'.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

luthor1 wrote:Don't forget kurbing damage can make wheels oval (ish) and thus balance on the machine but judder on the road. PM "Gersen" on the IMOC for more info on this one, he had loads of fun with his Mk1 until he realised previous to his purchase the wheels had been made 'not round'.

I've had the wheels off a few times and believe them to be of round origin. There aftermarket forged SSR's. The cars only got just over 35000 on it and the wheels look almost new. Thanks for the info tho... i'll keep it in mind if alignment does'nt get it sorted.

Nath, Rogue have had the car twice this year so far and i told them i wanted a list of every single problem no matter how small rectified. Cost me a small fortune but no mention of any steering issues....and Matt was the one who noted that the tyres were wearing on the inside (front only)!

I'm 99% positive that its the set up on the front, you can just about tell that the wheels are angled.

Thanks all for the advice. :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

It's nothing silly like a lost spiggot ring is it? Only reason I ask is that you say you've had the wheels on and off a few times recently and the same thing happened to me 6 mths ago. Felt fine till moving at motorway speeds, I went through loadsa checks (balancing/alignment/suspension/steering rack etc) before it was finally discovered.
Wouldn't account for the odd tyre wear though....
R.
jont

Post by jont »

I had a similar problem with vibration in the steering wheel at motorway speeds. Was nothing to do with the tyres - turned out the NSF brake caliper was binding. Once I changed that, all the vibration went away. If one of your wheels is much hotter than the others after a run, it could be that rather than geometry.
marc GT Turbo

judder

Post by marc GT Turbo »

just a thought !! ive had a similar experiance with judder . in my case it turned out to be my rack ends .
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Thanks for the info again guy's. As i said had lots of tlc type stuff at rogue in Jan and Feb. Both the fronts have new disks and front drivers side has new caliper. 100% sure its down to suspension set up on the front. I'll let you know what happens when i get the alignment done in the next week or 2.

:thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Dave81 wrote:

They quoted me 3.5 hours and £200 to do full suspension geometry. #-o

Am i the only one who thinks thats a tad bit expensive??

Total rip off, ask on Wheels In Motion for a good place.

p.s. before going you may want to buy some cam camber bolts as regardless of having coilovers fitted the sw20 doesn't have any camber adjustment.
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

i have the same problem when im going 70ish ;) starts to shake but only on ceratin roads, i think tim is right.

it is to be expected with aftermarket sus and wheels, im fitting my 16s soon so maybe i will see a difference.

i got tein type flex and im running 40 profile tyres on 17s, maybe the extra cushioning of the 16s will take it out but still not sure.

and if it is the brakes problem would you not get a drag to one side when you brake?
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Dave81 wrote: I'll let you know what happens when i get the alignment done in the next week or 2.

:thumleft:

Had both alignment done and new rubber all round yesterday!

Alignment was done at Chemix in Halesowen as reccomended by Tim!!
Def reccomend them. They actively encourage you to stand there why they do the adjusting for questions and answers. All round a good quality service!! Cost just under £60 and you get before and after prints of Camber/Caster/Toe etc.

Had the Goodyear Eagle F1's from Jeffries Tyres in Bromsgrove. 205/50/16 at the front and 225/50/16 at the rear: £330 all in balanced etc, and they look the nuts. \:D/

On the whole the car feels alot more positive on the road. Judder has subsided as well!!!! :thumleft:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Glad you got it sorted.

I dont believe that there should be any judder with aftermaret wheels at all. What would be the reason for this exactly? Sure a smaller tyre profile will translate more from the road to the steering and magnify a problem but thats all - it seems that the new tyres have sorted it, maybe you had a slight bulge in one of your other tyres?

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ryan

Post by ryan »

I found a 'dynamic' wheel balance sorted my wheel judder at 70 mph. The wheel balancing machine allowed 11 different positions where weights could be attached.
Ask if your local tyre fitter has one...
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Century Motorsport wrote:Glad you got it sorted.

Nathan

Me too!
The guys who changed my tyre's noted that the original fronts, on when i bought the car (Yoko Advans). Were not dot marked. He commented that it should not of got through the MOT???

Plus i'd have possibly been in trouble if i'd been pulled with them??

Not that it matters now, but is that true??

Return to “Mechanical”