[Mk2] [Turbo] How reliable and economical can a tubby be?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Extubby

[Mk2] [Turbo] How reliable and economical can a tubby be?

Post by Extubby »

3 years ago I had a carribian blue rev 3 gts. I sold it had a TVR Chim and after that an Elise 111s that I sold a few weeks ago. It's time to get on the property ladder so hence selling the Elise. I have a 205 GTI that I love but it there is always something wrong with it.
I remember my tubby being good on petrol about 260-280 miles from a tank and never let me down.
If it was fitted with a tdo6 or street brawler kit and a good ecu how economical and reliable could it be? Or if it was just std with a unichip how would it be.

I really want another one but don/t want to find its another money pit.

Look forward to your comments.

Adam
paul port

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How reliable and economical can a tubby be?

Post by paul port »

Stock Rev3 ecu, stock Turbo, but plenty of other mods and I can get:
Average 26MPG
Motorway 29MPG
Best ever has been well into the 30's

My car has nearly 150,000 miles on the original turbo.

Paul
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

paul port wrote:Stock Rev3 ecu, stock Turbo, but plenty of other mods and I can get:
Average 26MPG
Motorway 29MPG
Best ever has been well into the 30's

My car has nearly 150,000 miles on the original turbo.

Paul

And i was always under the impression that turbos went at around 80k? Mines on 100k and ive lately been wondering if its past its time and will go. Sounds like it might still have a lot of life on it
alexwainwright

Post by alexwainwright »

I think the secret is in the cars history - obviously there is an element of luck involved, but do the best you can to suss out the previous owner with respect to oil changes, ignition parts, filter changes etc.

I think going for bigger turbos and aftermarket ECU's COULD (although not necessarily WILL) effect the reliability - messing with the standard wiring is the thing that worries me most, as electrical gremlins are always a pain, and difficult to solve (as you may know if you have owned a TVR!!!).

Keep on top of servicing, don't let any problems linger, and the MR2 could be one of the most reliable cars you can own. I have a rev 3 turbo, with Unichip and ST205 chargecooler setup, pushing out 323bhp (although now a little closer to 300 after I put the standard exhaust silencer back on). I use it regularly, and often on very long journeys. I've also used it on track - not once has it let me down. Things wear (i.e. brakes, tyres etc)but, knock on wood, I haven't had a single failure. The car is at 85,000 miles on the original turbo, with no signs of giving up just yet! (I've checked radial and axial play in the shaft and all is good. No smoke or anything either).

I've been very impressed with the car in terms of it's ability to do anything from cross continental journeys, to nipping to the shops, to hooning round tracks, with reasonable running costs.
I average about 25mpg, but can easily get over 30 on a motorway journey.

If you find a good example, I think you'll be very happy going back to the '2. Walk away from a poorly looked after car though.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Good to hear some positive comments about the turbo, sounds like they last well if looked after. I've heard a fair few horror stories from turbo owners although most were modified. I really want one now, had my N/A for too long!
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

Well my turbo died at about 65000 miles killing my engine.
Now at 73000 miles both calipers on the front have started to seize.
The power steering pump seems to have a mind of its own too.

Recon calipers at £75 quid each not much really but the engine rebuild cost a fortune.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

I guess it's like everything, if you look after it and service it then it will keep going.
I was looking at engine parts and to rebuild it would not cost that much if you do it yourself.
I worked out that it would cost £175 more a year to run a tubby over a 172 Clio, based on the difference between insurance, oil filter, air filter, tyres, front discs and pads. All std items.
Really want another one.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Out of interest, how much would a garage charge to do an engine rebuild? I thought it could be done for around £1500?
steve b

Post by steve b »

I think when they are new they are very reliable and rev3+ cars ok on economy.

The older cars I wouldn't go near regardless if the owner thinks they have only done 35,000 miles, I can't remember ever getting more than 220miles to a tank in my rev2.
steve b

Post by steve b »

dawolf wrote:Out of interest, how much would a garage charge to do an engine rebuild? I thought it could be done for around £1500?

Double and a bit would be nearer i think, unless its done ghetto style.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

I know 2 that died.

Bottom end going pop, cant rememeber what it was, bottom end bearing maybe?

Anyways, these were Rev 1 cars. Both with around 60-70k miles.

Both had been run on the crap fuel and just battered around!

Neither had shown any signs of it about to go.

Condition is everything!

Nick
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

I know a garage that will rebuild your mr2 engine to forged parts for £2000. Labour and parts inc.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”