[Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring up amp genius needed!!!

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

midenginedmaniac

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring up amp genius needed!!!

Post by midenginedmaniac »

Not sure where we are going with this. If you dont have noise great. If you do you need to understand the basics.

The MK2 uses the same brackets as the mk1 which does earth to the car. Induced noise is not dependant on the cable length but magnetic feilds being transmitted from power cables etc and picked up on audio wires.

Good luck.
johnnymr2

Post by johnnymr2 »

i do just about grasp the fundementals after designing amplification systems incorporating EMF / RFI suppression for 11 years.

Of course cable lengths will have an effect on the amount in induced noise, the longer the cable the greater surface area the EMF will have to work on; as in the longer the coil the greater the voltage o/p but =; this is getting a little over engineered for this post me thinks :eye: :-#

i do grant that the HU will be connected to the -ve terminal of the battery via its chassis being grounded, but if this was sufficient then why would the loom have a lead connecting it to -ve?? and again i grant that connecting 2 grounding leads (chassis & loom) of a different CSA / length can create ground loops leading to a differential in potential, but this is why a suitable CSA cable which is cut to the correct length should be used to ground the HU as well as the amp so that the potential will be virtually the same. To completely isolate from this we could use mounts to take the HU away from the chassis leading to the exclusion of ground loops, but this is completely over the top :wink: :shock: :whistle:
midenginedmaniac

And I am a controls and instumentation technician of 14 years. We must be having a technical discussion :lol: . Maybe we should write an joint article :D
johnnymr2

Post by johnnymr2 »

midenginedmaniac wrote:And I am a controls and instumentation technician of 14 years. We must be having a technical discussion :lol: . Maybe we should write an joint article :D

its all about the banter mate :thumleft: :thumleft:
midenginedmaniac

With my problem it was the head unit itself. :shock: . And it was brand new. I tried suppression, Sheilding, Star earthing. Direct to battery which was worse. Sent It back and all was ok with the new one. Must have been a bad earth inside the HU.

BTW the wire in the stereo loom is run for current capability as the connection via the bracket to earth may not be sufficient. Remember as much current flows to earth as on the +ve supply.

Hope we may help someone with our rantings.
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

Hey all... sounds like there are some knowledgeable people in this discussion who may know why my radio, which is simply installed to the standard MR2 plug (with an adapter of course), would stop working when I turn on the headlights!!! Actually, turning on the headlights stopped it for good - the ACC power lead isn't working now. I've since been pulling panels off to see if I can find where the wires go, but they're all wrapped up in tape!

Any ideas. It has the premium sound thingy installed btw.

Cheers.
midenginedmaniac

Some radio's auto dim with the headlights. Possibly this wire was grounded and blew the fuse when you turned the lights on.
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

Thanks for that... I'll have a check of the wires - don't think any fuses have blown (I've checked all the ones under the steering wheel, bonnet and boot!).
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

Small tip add a 4 awg cable from the - on the battery to the body.

Also move your rca's away from all power cables. They also sell noise suppresses (maplin, halfords, so on..)

Pity your not in reading i'm the dogs dangles with ice :D
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

What's a 4 AWG cable - presumably this is to link the negative on the battery to the chassis to give a good earth to anything I earth to the chassis?

Unfortunately I'm in Surrey not Reading!
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

4 awg is the thickness of cable chap :D

Yea mate i find the standard - to chassis is well crap. This will help the amp if your running it off the chassis (most people do that but not me). Plus it's just a good mod anyway for better earth through the whole car
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

just a quick note from the first reply, if you're installing an amp please put the fuse for the positive supply as close to the battery as possible not the amp, its there purely to stop the cable melting itself, any amp worth having will have its own protection fuse
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Most problems like this can be solved like this by attaching the ground to an earthing point as close to the sub as possible...
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

holy thread resurection! replied to that one by accident! haha
andyg1978

Post by andyg1978 »

Sorry if this is a bit of a late post.

I had the same problem with power steer noise, it was a bad earth on the amp. Re-earthed it which included sanding point off the point of contact and this has not 100% solved it but it is hardly noticeable.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you are going to start replacing TB3 (the big three) - Battery to chassis, battery to alternator and engine to chassis (ground), you may as well replace with 0AWG. I would imagine Battery to alternator is a bit of a b1tch to change though!
axaimssli

Have you ever been found a good bag or jewelry fas

Post by axaimssli »

Hello, everyone
Have you ever been found a good bag or jewelry fashion point of it recently ? My friends and I go out shopping on the street and found that girls are wearing a 925 sterling Silver 16 Lock Charms and Necklace .Gold prices have been rising now, we can not afford it, and I personally prefer the silver, and I often go to Tiffany's website (/tiffany-necklaces/925-sterling-silver-16-lock-charms-and-necklace) to see if there is something new, Do you concern about it?

Return to “ICE and Security”