1.2 Clio puts MR2 ownership in perspective!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

xxlukexx

1.2 Clio puts MR2 ownership in perspective!

Post by xxlukexx »

My rev2 tubby was in for a service so I got a lift to college in a friend's 1.2 '99 Clio, then drove it home - about 20 miles. It's the first time I've driven any other car for more than a couple of miles since I bought the mr2 and Oh My God!

Obviously my expectations were low to start off with. In town it was OK, I found myself revving it up to 3000rpm before gear changes to get it to move at all. Then I went round a 90 degree corner and the thing *leaned* onto it's doorhandles, totally uncomfortable and felt like it might crash. I didn't realise how much I'd got used to the mr2's stiff and flat cornering.

Then, the A2...unbelievably slow. I estimate that 60-70mph in 5th would have taken about 20 seconds if I'd been bothered to wait. I just couldn't believe how slowly the speed climbed.

On the way home I stopped at the garage and picked up the 2. It felt like driving it for the first time. The seats felt really low, the cluth heavy but the torque response was amazing in comparison. Clunky short-throw gear changes, loads of low down power and then the turbo spooled up and I realised I was back in a proper car!

I've never regretted buying such a "committed" car as the 2, but I had got used to it and the hard suspension can be a pain when driving slowly. But within five seconds of being back in my car I felt totally vindicated - I'd trade some bumps and rattles for the handling, power and seating position *any* day of the week.

One final point - I've also driven my brother's '98 Impreza Type-R, with about 330bhp. Obviously it's faster but the steering is nowhere *near* as good, lighter and with less feel. The mr2 is still a much more direct car than the scoob.

Luke
Greddy-Matt

Re: 1.2 Clio puts MR2 ownership in perspective!

Post by Greddy-Matt »

When ever you feel a bit jaded about the MR2 drive a 1.0l Nissan Micra for a bit then get back in the 2 :lol: , always puts me right :D

First time i drove one since I got used to coilovers, i had the same feeling, it leaned so alarmingly i nearly got out to check the wing mirrors for scuffs :mrgreen:
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

HA!

The bird has one, i drive it quite a bit.

I think its a laugh!

a good game to play, is see how far you can get it to roll over! :)

Man they are slow, CANNOT overtake anything on the road, They do make driving interesting!

Nick
xxlukexx

Post by xxlukexx »

Greddy-Matt wrote:When ever you feel a bit jaded about the MR2 drive a 1.0l Nissan Micra for a bit... :mrgreen:

Actually my girlfriend has one of these! It's the old shape (amusing called a "micra dot") and I drove it to the shops the other day. You steer, it leans. You steer some more, it leans some more. Finally, almost giving up home of it turning the corner you steer even further, and finally the car changes direction! Also, not a lot of grip from the tyres...
xxlukexx

Post by xxlukexx »

shibby! wrote:HA!

...all the way, judging by how this one felt!
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I know the feeling.

I drive a focus and a pug 106 daily and often get home and jump into the 2 for a blat. You appreciate the drive so much more the difference.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

xxlukexx : Lol ditto a red one refered to as "postman pat-mobile"
:lol:

I almost liked my dads 1.8 (i think) focus 8-[ :-$
Andy-Runner

Post by Andy-Runner »

Ive recently (February '06) bought an Impreza STi as a sensible everyday car, keeping the MR2 for Sundays etc............... the STi is up for sale already #-o

Yep their quick off the mark, and the grip borders on incredible when pushed close to the limit, however its just so boring to drive - told them on Scoobynet something similar in passing.... :oops: :shock: #-o although not meaning any offence it wasn't well recieved :whistle:

I'm back with the TWO full time again! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
eatdrinkfeck

Post by eatdrinkfeck »

my girlfriend has a focus zetec 1.8 and to be honest its a good laugh at lowish speed on the twisty bits

..still wouldn't trade the 2 though.....
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

eatdrinkfeck wrote:my girlfriend has a focus zetec 1.8 and to be honest its a good laugh at lowish speed on the twisty bits

..still wouldn't trade the 2 though.....

I came out of a rev3 turbo to a company 1.4 Mk2 Focus. Lovely smooth and quiet (handles too) but my god its slow. The only point to this car is that it meets Euro IV regs, because it must use more fuel than the bigger engined focus's 'cos you have rev the nuts of it to go anywhere!

And it cant do the engine any favours have to boot it all the time either - I have a warning light on the dash some on everytime I overtake on a bypass (because i'm 'using' the revs :mrgreen: )
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Greddy-Matt wrote:
When ever you feel a bit jaded about the MR2 drive a 1.0l Nissan Micra for a bit...

Actually my girlfriend has one of these! It's the old shape (amusing called a "micra dot") and I drove it to the shops the other day. You steer, it leans. You steer some more, it leans some more. Finally, almost giving up home of it turning the corner you steer even further, and finally the car changes direction! Also, not a lot of grip from the tyres...

Oh God don't remind me! [-X I tried to use my Dad's (formerly my Gran's) old shape Micra 1.0 CVT for my commute in the three months up to Christmas as I didn't want to put 300 miles a week on the Mk1. It was awful, totally irredeemably awful. :sick: I didn't even save on the petrol as you had to thrash the thing so much to make it keep up with the traffic. As you say, anything more than 20mph and it cornered on it's doorhandles.

The Micra is the antithesis of driving enjoyment. Back in the Mk1 now ,life's too short to waste sitting in crap like a Nissan Micra!
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

A few years ago, when I stopped having company cars, I went out and with my own money bought a 1.6 Primera (115ps). It was a little down on power after a Cavalier SRi (130ps), but I could put up with it, and I did get a consistent 40mpg which was nice. As age came along and the kids got bigger we decided to buy a weekend car - one of the very last SW20s, only a year old. This rather showed exactly what was lacking in the Cavalier and the Primera - and they are known as quite good drivers cars. Meantime my wife's 1.0 Micra shopping trolley hit "beyond economic repair", so she replaced it with a shiny new Suzuki swift 1.0. The Primera went the way of the Micra - at 120,000 miles the (original) clutch was running out of play, the (original) radiator was beginning to leak, and the (original) exhaust was looking dodgy too although not blowing yet. It was also getting a little rattly on cold starts, so we bought a Primera Estate 2.0, intending to use it as a daily driver until my kids were out of University. Its life was cut short by a used car salesman who passed me on the inside, then braked hard and cut across as I was gently slowing for a red light. The Primera (both) weren't bad cars, the handling OK and 140ps isn't too bad. Good for ton-up cruising on the A-Bahn. Now of course every time I need to shift anything of size I have to drives the Swift. Which has terribly light steering, incredibly light clutch, understeers like anything, and has no ABS.

The fact that I am now commuting in Mr Two probably makes it feel worse.

It's really only when you get in a good car that you realise the difference. We drove halfway down France with the top off, wrong side of the road, totally strange roads, and I felt I could have done it again. The Swift? A trip from Berks to Kent leaves me knackered!

Andy

(ps it's not a mid life crisis, OK? I always wanted a car like that and now I have one. And my insurance is only UKP220 :P )
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Andy-Runner wrote:Ive recently (February '06) bought an Impreza STi as a sensible everyday car, keeping the MR2 for Sundays etc............... the STi is up for sale already #-o

Yep their quick off the mark, and the grip borders on incredible when pushed close to the limit, however its just so boring to drive - told them on Scoobynet something similar in passing.... :oops: :shock: #-o although not meaning any offence it wasn't well recieved :whistle:

I'm back with the TWO full time again! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Could you link us to that thread, Andy? It would be an amusing read I'm sure :D
Andy-Runner

Post by Andy-Runner »

Hi fella, i was looking for it last night :D ....................... but no luck :( ........... needless to say "rally wins" were mentioned and the tubby was called a "go cart" etc etc - personally i thought this was a compliment! (TBH though, the forum was good - similar to this one, pretty friendly people & helpful :thumleft: :thumleft:)

I think you have to spend a lot more money than your average MR2 costs to buy something else which provides anywhere near the same level of driving experience........lotus elise perhaps, VX220 tubby?????
:-k :-k :-k
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Not exactly power related but I've been driving a Kia Sportage recently and my MR2 has been off the road for months - expecting to get it back soon. So, when I do get it back after a high driving position, I expect to have that feeling of "what am I doing down here !"

Anyone else drive Jeeps and a 2 ?

My mate drives a bus and then a 2 - some difference !!
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Andy-Runner wrote:Hi fella, i was looking for it last night :D ....................... but no luck :( ........... needless to say "rally wins" were mentioned and the tubby was called a "go cart" etc etc - personally i thought this was a compliment! (TBH though, the forum was good - similar to this one, pretty friendly people & helpful :thumleft: :thumleft:)

I think you have to spend a lot more money than your average MR2 costs to buy something else which provides anywhere near the same level of driving experience........lotus elise perhaps, VX220 tubby?????
:-k :-k :-k

I had a look on Scoobynet too. Very nice looking forum - one of the best I've seen. Not that I looked particularly hard, but I couldn't even find a forum search function.

Nice thing about IMOC is a general respect for other cars. I mean Scooby's are no doubt great cars, but some people do label them as a bit boring to drive. On the flip side there has been plenty of criticism labelled at MR2s (mkII) for not having good enough steering feel specially on the limit, and characterless turbo engines.......

Each to their own. We all love cars, so it's all good! 8)
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

I know this is going slightly off topic but i felt i had to pass comment on someone elses "Focus" comment.

I honestly believe the focus to have the best handling of any car in its class. My dad has the 1.8 zetec with the alloys and "sports" suspension pack and the thing handles like its on rails. Its seriously seriously underpowered but there is no roll for that type of car. Obviously there is a bit more roll in it than the 2 but for a family hatch i think its xxxx hot.

Scott =op
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Yep I was quite impressed with my dads focus, but not really my kind of car, besides Fords offend my eyes.... :tongue:
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

I took my tubby in to Toyota for some work when I first got it, and they gave me a 1.0L automatic Yaris.

I could have moved faster by just farting.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

shibby! wrote:HA!

The bird has one, i drive it quite a bit.

I think its a laugh!

Man they are slow, CANNOT overtake anything on the road, They do make driving interesting!

Nick

You're not trying hard enough then. :wink: We've got the 1.0 CVT Micra, I drive it to work to keep the miles down on the SLK. I don't think it handles too bad actually, but you do need to be brave...I've overtaken plenty in that, people just don't drive that fast round my way it seems. Mind you, a downhill slope certainly comes in handy....

Funnily enough we used to have an '01 Civic 1.6 Vtec auto and I was less impressed with that (speed and definitely handling) than the Micra. Now THAT put driving the old tubby into perspective. :(

Re the Focus, I had a brand new TDci last week for a day. Not overly impressed, the handling was OK, hated the driving position personally. Not bad speed-wise though. The gearlever gaiter was already floating around which wasn't too encouraging...

Return to “Driving Experiences”