[Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to fit a dump valve?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to fit a dump valve?

Post by dellams »

And whats involved exactly? My neighbor reckons its pretty straight forward, just cut the pipe and stick it in the middle?!

Cheers.
rossdymond3352

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to fit a dump valve?

Post by rossdymond3352 »

nooo dont do that! get yourself a HKS SSQV, although if your 2 is a rev1 or 2 you may encounter some problems, do a search for dump valves, you'll find thousands of posts!

Ross :thumleft:
dellams

Post by dellams »

Right, so whats different about that one then? I have a rev1 so may not be any good?

So its a bit more than just cutting two pipes? :)

Worth getting a garage to do it then?

Any idea whats the best sort of one to get? I was thinking Blitz, but not sure?

Cheers.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the guy is refering to the fact that DECENT dump valve on the mr2 replace the standard one, very easy to install....
the one who got, or thinking of getting is obviously non mr2 specific, otherwise you wouldnt be thinking of cutting hoses.....
if you get a proper one with a mr2 specific fitting kit, you dont need to cut any pipes....
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ill get one with a fitting kit then, any idea how you fit? Is it just a mater of unboloting the old one and bolting in the new one? Job done? I guess you still have to make sure the pressure is right and that?

Would you recommend any for my rev1?

Cheers.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the only thing recommended for rev1/2 is the stock one dude.....
you only have to read the above posts.

unless you getting the likes of ssqv, blitz, sard or something, then there wont be mr2 fitting kits for your generic dump valves to go in stock location....
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

dellams wrote: I guess you still have to make sure the pressure is right and that?

Would you recommend any for my rev1?

Cheers.

Check what pressure? :-k Do you know what a BOV does?

Best for a rev1.....the majority would say the standard oem BOV due to issues with the AFM, some claim they have no problems - But I would personally listen to the majority.

I have a HKS SSQ on my rev3 turbo, but I don't have to worry about issues with an AFM. These retail for around £200-£300.
dellams

Post by dellams »

On the Blitz site it mentions about making sure it has the right pressure and vacume around it.

Whats the AFM? Airflow Meter? What problems do they have? Are there ways round it?

The standard OEM hardly makes any noice, I was something louder and also to help reduce turbo lag.

Cheers.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

a non stock BOV on a rev1/2 will/might cause overfueling as the your dumping metered air to atmosphere rather than back to the system like the OEM valve does, a hks ssqv was fitted to my rev1 and yeah it sounded great, but i took it off and sold it on here. i believe the best is OEM, if you reallllllly want one, then go for it, but a search related to dump valves will bring up the problems people have had

hope this helps

Ross :thumleft:
dellams

Post by dellams »

Arrgh, so the ECU thinks the engine is getting the air but in fact it isn't? hence the overfueling. Hmmm, can this have any other problems other than obviously eating more fuel, I guess it would end up running too rich and that could cause performance problems?

Has anyone ever got a BOV to work with a rev1? And if so how did they do it? :D

Cheers.
stevek

Rev 1 dump valve

Post by stevek »

Hi i have a dump valve on my rev one so does my son with no issues both are from forge motorsport in Gloucester 01452 380999 is their no give them a ring and ask the questions they also do a complete fitting kit.very tidy if you pay cash they usually will do you a better deal.i can take a photo of mine if you like and e-mail it to you.Having said that i think as the other guys have said the best one is the standard bov.
Regards Steve
dellams

Post by dellams »

Thanks for the info mate. What BOV did they fit? From I can gather it is more likely to work if you use a decent BOV which doesnt leak such as HKS SSQV. Has your MPG gone down though due to the overfuleing?

How much did it cost?

What makes you say the standard one is best? Have you lost perofmance on yours then? I want the hiss when taking my foot off the throttle, which you cant get on the standard one. Although Im wondering if it would be better just to make the standard one VTA? What advantage is there in getting a HKS SSQV to do the same thing?

Cheers.
stevek

Post by stevek »

pm sent

Return to “Modifications”