[Mk2] [Turbo] Toyo T1-R Tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

luthor1

[Mk2] [Turbo] Toyo T1-R Tyres

Post by luthor1 »

Anyone else think these have the most ridiculously soft tyre walls ever? they feel all wallowy and Mr Whippy going round corners hard. You can FEEL the car going from hard-right switching to hard-left and the tyres squirming from one side to the other.

Just fitted a brand new set 195x55x15 and 225x50x15 (stock rev2 tubby) and with the correct pressures you can rock the car left and right and watch the tyres squirm like blancmange. It's awful!

Am I missing something?

Annoyed - Luthor. With I'd got the Bridgstone S03's again but couldn't find them.
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Toyo T1-R Tyres

Post by jimGTS »

i would have thought any tyre with sidewalls of 50 and 55 are going to give that effect...
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Toyos are like that mate

I have the same problem.

I have gotten used to it, and dont really notice it anymore.

I will be buying falkens next to try them and see how they perform.

Seem to have a problem running the standard 15's as to what tyre we can actually fit to the car!

I had Yoko's on the car when it came from Japan, and had no trouble with the sidewall's!

Nick
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Previously I have Bridgestone S03 on the front in the 195 50 15 (I know the profile is non-standard) and at the rear Kumho ECSTA. these were fine.

I thought I was *upgrading* to the Toyo, but it appears not.

They inspire absolutely NO confidence whatsoever. I am really disappointed in them. Ah well, at least others are having similar issues.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cheap tyres honey. You get what you pay for i'm afraid.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jont

Post by jont »

No, you're not missing anything. I tried the Toyos and found exactly the same as you, despite people raving about them.

I've now put on Dunlop SP9000s and they're way, way better. The SO3s are no longer made in the right sizes, and neither are the Goodyear F1s (which were the 2 I would have been after).

Cheapest place I found for the dunlops was here:
http://www.valuetyres.co.uk/default.php

Jon
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I've only ever heard RAVE reviews about the TOYO T1-R (which at Micheldever is the 2nd most expensive tyre behind the Yoko A-022) at £326 a set fitted...

Like I said, I was happier with the Kumho which WAS a cheap one!!!

:( :( Think I will go cry now!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:I've only ever heard RAVE reviews about the TOYO T1-R (which at Micheldever is the 2nd most expensive tyre behind the Yoko A-022) at £326 a set fitted...

Like I said, I was happier with the Kumho which WAS a cheap one!!!

:( :( Think I will go cry now!

Well they are good value for money, but if your criteria is that of performance then there are better tyres out there.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Seriously - I have looked at the prices of many tyres from many places. I have read many reviews, and the Toyo T1-R is *not* cheap and since it gives this wierd handling issue, it's NOT a good choice for the MR2.

I just don't want people to think they are getting any value for money, because honestly, it's expensive AND it feels skittish. It's NOT a good tyre in THAT size on my car.

I will recommend the Kumho ECSTA which is considerably cheaper, and MUCH more stable.

One thing I will concede is that the Toyo offers good levels of grip before breakaway in the wet. That's all.

I'm not being argumentative, it's just not a cheap tyre - at £326 a set it's top whack and not many tyres for the 15" Mk2 rim are more expensive, and not many places are considerably cheaper than Micheldever Tyres.

:cry:

EDIT: Trackday tyres are more expensive, obviously...
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Never liked the T1-Rs on the back of my MK1. T1-S is a different kettle of fish, much better tyre IMO
ast

Post by ast »

jimGTS wrote:i would have thought any tyre with sidewalls of 50 and 55 are going to give that effect...

They wont, high quality tyres do not do that. In fact good tyre in 50 profile is great for track days too - gives enough confidence but has very nice characteristics when you lose the traction.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Got 2 more T1-Rs waiting to replace the existing ones on my rears \:D/

I've found they're cheap on standard mk2 sizes, cost me £240 for all 4 corners, whereas Pirelli Pzeros cost me £220 for the rears alone :shock:

Looked into getting these for the wifes car, but were similar price to Pirelli & Goodyear Eagle F1s - so went for the F1s :)
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

Previously I have Bridgestone S03 on the front in the 195 50 15 (I know the profile is non-standard) and at the rear Kumho ECSTA. these were fine.

I thought I was *upgrading* to the Toyo, but it appears not.

Wherever did you get the idea that moving from T1-R to SO3 was an upgrade?

SO3 or F1 are the only tyres I use. However, a change may be forced upon me by lack of availability as manufacturers keep dropping certain sizes.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I've moved *to* the T1-R from the S03 at the front, didn't really believe that was the upgrade, but since the S03 isn't available, then I thought the T1R was an upgrade from the Kumho. I've read other reviews of performance cars with good results with the T1R and on tyres at least, price seems to indicate performance and the T1R is 50% more than the T1-R.

That's my thinking really, but it was a school day for me! Learning!!
ast

Post by ast »

I think that Kumhos have quite stiff sidewalls for such a cheap tires. I have model 712 205/40-17 on one of my cars and sidewalls are definately quite stiff. Unfortunately they are lacking grip in the dry compared to best tyres and they are horrible in the wet, it feels that when it starts to slide it will never get grip again.

Is the only Kumho available in 225/50-15 the old model 711?

225/50-15 tyre situation is so bad that it made me buy 16" wheels today...
jont

Post by jont »

ast wrote:225/50-15 tyre situation is so bad that it made me buy 16" wheels today...

As I said above (and will keep saying....) Dunlop SP9000s. They might not be cheap, but a full set was under £400 fitted, and are available in the correct standard sizes. Fantastic grip wet or dry, and no spongy sidewalls.
screech205

Post by screech205 »

I'm gonna be putting some 225/45/16 T1Rs on my car this week, i'll give you my verdict when they're fitted. I loved the old T1-Ss on my old 205 GTi, plenty of grip in the wet and dry so i'll be interested to see how these perform.

TBH i've only heard good things about the T1-Rs and the sidewall on the tyre i've got is rock solid but it is a 45 profile and not a 50.

Steve
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

I run 2 sets of stock rims. 1 with T1-R, the other with T1-S, so I often get the back to back comparison between the 2.

I find the T1-S compound provides a harsher ride (this may be the sidewall strength), they tram line slightly and the dry grip is well below that of the T1-R's

In their favour the T1-S, cope better with track day abuse. Interesting that others find T1-S better. Suppose it's all by the by now, as the T1-S is obsolete anyway.

T1-R's are a great tyre IMHO, but the tread blocks are just destroyed if you like a bit of track fun
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toyo's ARE rubbish

my musings on the topic

http://www.awpish.co.uk/motor/tubby/f1Tyres.html
EarL

Post by EarL »

allan welsh wrote:toyo's ARE rubbish

my musings on the topic

http://www.awpish.co.uk/motor/tubby/f1Tyres.html

Got to disagree there Allan. I've just replaced my rears and have gone back to the T1-R for every day driving. I loved the grip in the dry. They really do hang on for a budget tyre. Wear rate was pretty good too seeing the level of abuse that's been thrown at them since the car's been back on the road. Wet weather grip is also good, reletively speaking.

I will, however, be fitting a set of R888's for the summer.

Having tried these on a friends Lotus, I was utterly gobsmacked by the amount of grip they generated. Pretty crap in the wet though as they are a semi slick, so that really speaks for itself.

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”