[Mk2] [Turbo] When clutch engages it makes a funny high pitched whirring/humming

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SWMark

[Mk2] [Turbo] When clutch engages it makes a funny high pitched whirring/humming

Post by SWMark »

Hey chaps

I had this clutch:

http://www.gtschris.com/store/comersus_ ... Product=36

Fitted at 3S about a month ago, seems like a very good clutch although ive not really treated it in anger yet, but sometimes it makes a funny whirring/humming/singing noise when engaging at low speed and slipping it(as you do), is this normal, if it isnt what mightve gone wrong?

Thanks alot

Mark
SWMark

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] When clutch engages it makes a funny high pitched whirring/humming

Post by SWMark »

Anyone ? :(
DeusMR2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] When clutch engages it makes a funny high pitched whirring/humming

Post by DeusMR2 »

I've had this noise for ages even after fitting a new clutch. It hasn't got any louder or quieter over the 2 years I've had it, but I'm told it could be the thrust bearing.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

yeah, did they defo change the release bearing?
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

The kit includes a bearing so I would assume they did.

Some clutches are just a bit noisy unfortunately. Most likely the bearing, though.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Clutch bearing, have the same problem with the other halfs Yaris.
Nothing to worry about.
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

Ok, well when you have a new clutch kit installed it is ;) Im sure theyll sort it out for me, seemed very helpful.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Good point, dont suppose you want to wait till your next clutch to fix the problem.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

I've had noises on my Rev 3 Turbo for a while now. I bought it in June last year and noticed that when the clutch is disengaged that it makes a whirring noise. Put your foot on the clutch and it stops.....slightly annoying but i can live with it.

But about a month ago i noticed something else. First thing in the morning i get inthe car, take off the handbrake and put it in neutral. I turn the car over and it slightly pulls forward. Probably about an inch in total. I'm going in to have the clutch fluid changed at the end of the month but i'm guessing this is not the solution to the problem.

Before you ask my the drive is flat and it does'nt happen when the car is upto running temp. :-k

Anyone had similar experiances and .........should i start saving. :(
dan1

Post by dan1 »

mine has always made a whirring noise for 3 years dosent seem to be a problem, i noticed that mine does the same DAVE81. When sitting in neutral in on start up it will move forward slightly and repeat to do so if i dip the clutch and bring back up the car will move.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Nice to see i'm not the only one...if thats the right way of putting it.

Dan how longs yours been doing it for??

I'm not overly concerned at the moment, i've never had a burnin clutch smell or anything.
So i think its just one of those things.
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

this is normal for this clutch. I've got the light weight version and it does exactly the same and I've had the release bearing changed more than once.

Mine also chatters a bit if I come of the gas at 40-60mph. Again this is quite normal.

Return to “Mechanical”