[Mk2] [Turbo] got some problems...peak hp at 5k rpm, 212whp...ct20b

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] got some problems...peak hp at 5k rpm, 212whp...ct20b

Post by jimGTS »

oh dear, lol... :tongue: :cry: :cry: :cry:

went to a dyno today just to check my fueling really....

got VERY strange results....at 15psi (basically 1bar) i got 212whp but at 5k rpm.... :shock: :shock:

now obviously the ct20b should be peaking WAY past this, and in turn me seeing more power, tbh, i knew my peak hp wernt near other ct20b owners, ie, 6300-7k rpm...but wernt expecting 5k rpm, pmsl....

now to be fair, at 5k rpm, 212whp (252bhp) aint to bad considering i should techinally have my power curve increasing all the way to 6500rpm-ish....and in turn be seeing normal -ish power.

only good thing really was i hit 278lb of torque at 4k ish at around 14psi, so less than 1bar, which is sweet...but power behond 5k rpm is dead.....

now i dont no whether my "possible" actuator/wastegate issue is causing my low power, ie, turbo working ALOT harder than it should...dyno guy (very nice bloke), thought i was running very rich, hense the dissappearance of power....he also said the car was mint :mrgreen: (well looked mint any going by the dyno figs, lol), and it hit more power at 5k rpm than he's seen before with other mr2s with similar mods at there dyno....so defo room for improvement....

just after some comments, feedback, ideas???? :evil: :? :cry: :cry:

(mods if peeps wona know, ct20b, downpipe/exhaust, filter, rev3 ecu conversion, ebc, greddy ic)

graphs.....

peak hp around 5k rpm...212whp(252bhp), 278lb of torque at 4k rpm.

wheel torque and wheel hp.....

wheel hp Vs AFR....

AFR Vs Boost....

TheRoadWarrior

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] got some problems...peak hp at 5k rpm, 212whp...ct20b

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

doest look very rich to me? What is it, like 11.5 after it gets out of closed loop around 4500rpm?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i know i thought 11.5 was perfect for tuning.....
:?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

top end just dies doesn't it.

you checked your cam timing? that all ok? exhaust cams not retarded or jumped a tooth?

Tim
xxxx
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

no idea, something to get checked out i suppose..... :cry:

car feels great up to 5k, responsive, smooth, and theres room for another 2-3psi yet, get me closer to 300lb... :mrgreen:
but i mean, past 5 it aint great, new plugs helped, but clearly wernt a misfiring issue...
my base timing hasnt been checked for a LONG while, but theres no reason that should be any different...

perhaps im knocking/detting like mad..they didnt do the cans thing.

cam timing an easy enough job to look at/solve? at a garage obviously, not a engine out thing is it :cry:
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

I rekon ya would have got more power on the Rev 2 ECU and AFM than what you got.

I doubt your static timing is off as you would more than likey back fire every now and again

If your turbo is still holding 15psi to the readline and it feels flat , sounds like somthing is killing advance due to pinking/det or just a really xxxx tune!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Hellboy wrote:I rekon ya would have got more power on the Rev 2 ECU and AFM than what you got.

I doubt your static timing is off as you would more than likey back fire every now and again

If your turbo is still holding 15psi to the readline and it feels flat , sounds like somthing is killing advance due to pinking/det or just a really xxxx tune!

static timing? back fire? i sometimes get a rather loud explotion from the exhaust when changing gear very quickly when the cars all warmed up...
what could be killing the advance? really sh*t tune, whats that mean considering im havent got a ems/piggyback?
:-k

btw, car felt and drove better with rev3 bits...
ast

Post by ast »

You are also lean between 3000-4500 rpm - you allready have full boost but AFR is around 13.8. Sounds bit dangerous to me and not ideal for power. AFR at 6000 rpm is perfect but power dies. AFR+boost is ok whicgh leaves ignition, cam timing or very high back pressure (blocked exhaust).
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

thought you had a POWER FC??? with mish mash of REv 3 matted to rev 2 loom?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Hellboy wrote:thought you had a POWER FC??? with mish mash of REv 3 matted to rev 2 loom?

i do but it aint fitted yet....
want everything perfect before i have it mapped, and after this, looks like it may take a while....
hense why i didnt mention it in my list of mods in the first post. :tongue:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

bumpty.....

MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Hard to pin point what the exact problem is jimbo but i would put the powerfc on, Lower the global ignition timing 2 degrees then go out and and in 4 channel monitor mode on commander list air temp, knock, water temp and boost then press the right button so it holds peak values then go for a run and see what peak values are returned.

If you air temps are too high then timing will be pulled, if you water temp goes over 90 degrees on standard ecu then timing is pulled. If det is heard timing is pulled.

Are you running super unleaded?

Do a sensor check also and bad sensor will cause this

But if that afr readings are right then i would put my money on the ecu pulling timing due to knock as if its running that lean then det will be occuring for sure
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

am i running super leaded, what a silly question, lol, lol.....course i am.... :mrgreen:

how do i lower the globle timing? is it in degrees? or percentage on the commander? where is it on the commander?

i can double check the sensor check, last time it was fine bar the vta2 (which aparently is nothing)...

thing is the car is responsive, drives really well, pulls great (going by my torque figs at only 1bar-ish)....

whats involved in checking the cam timing? as tim suggested....
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

am i running super leaded, what a silly question, lol, lol.....course i am....

Your be surprised how many cars i have worked on now and they vary the fuel they use :lol:

i put them straight tho :eye:

Ok to lower the global ignition timing go to

SETTINGS - next

IGN/INJ - next

Then press down twice your see it then say -2 hit previous twice then back to monitor mode.

You will have to do this everytime to start the cat BTW

I would check your static timing tho with your standard ecu plugged, this is done with a timing gun. see here http://mr2.noegruts.com/ignition/timing.htm

Cam timing is bit harder to explain but any garage can check for you
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yeh, i prob wouldnt attempt cam timing myself, just worried its an expensive check to do?
ie take lots of time to remove bits and pieces....
if im gona do that, i may as well get them to check base timing...altho ive no reason to believe its changed from when it was setup yonks ago...prob bit pointless me spending that dosh on a timing gun if im never gona use it more than once....
perhaps i could find someone local to check for me....

cant understand tho why i would be knocking/detting so much it would cause this sort of grpah tho....
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

anyone else any ideas???

Bry

Post by Bry »

jimGTS wrote:anyone else any ideas???

It's a shame that the guy didn't use det cans as this would have really helped with getting to the route of the prob.I would def get it checked to see if it is or isn't detting,and that means sadly another trip back to the rollers
Watch out OZ here I come !!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Bry wrote:
jimGTS wrote:anyone else any ideas???

It's a shame that the guy didn't use det cans as this would have really helped with getting to the route of the prob.I would def get it checked to see if it is or isn't detting,and that means sadly another trip back to the rollers

if it is detting, how could i solve the prob tho?
ignition components are next to new, timing hasnt change, had compression check year or so ago, that was fine...
i got 540s and walbro yet im still showing lean, lol..
Bry

Post by Bry »

I'm saying,that in order to get to the bottom of this you're gonna have to try different things until you stumble accross the solution.I'm sure you are aware det is an engine killer so if you get it checked for detting and if all is good at least you've eliminated it and have piece of mind that your engine's not gonna die !On the other hand if you do have det then this could help with solving the prob,as there must be a reason for it e,g injector partialy blocked or nozzle giving a crap spray pattern etc.With my stock 540's Rob could not put much ign advance in as it was starting to det,so I changed them to the 800's and he was able to give it loads of advance,so there was obviously something wrong with the 540's!
£40 for a quick det check on the dyno could save you alot of head scratching :-k
Watch out OZ here I come !!
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I agree with the above poster - with that huge amount of torque low down it points towards cam timing, the exhaust cam may have jumped 1 tooth retarded which would explain the lack of top end. I also agree that blocked exhaust would also show up like above. Are you running a de-cat?

Return to “Mechanical”