[Mk2] [Generic] Searching for the oldest Mk2 on IMOC

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter C

[Mk2] [Generic] Searching for the oldest Mk2 on IMOC

Post by Peter C »

A variation of this theme was posted a while ago but didn't get very far.

It's possible that my Mk2 NA is one of the oldest known to IMOC, built in November 1989 (according to the seat belt tags) and first registered in the UK in March 1990 - see profile. That makes my car 17 years and 3 months old!

Does anyone here have an older Mk2?

Peter
inky

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Searching for the oldest Mk2 on IMOC

Post by inky »

Older than mine - whats your mileage?

Seat belts say June 1990, and was registered September 1990.

Mileage is 165000 + :shock:
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Got the car 5 years ago with 79k miles and FSH.

Now it's almost 126k and still going strong.

At this rate I've got another 50k miles or so before I should even start to worry about an engine overhaul.

Amazing cars.

I've read stories on IMOC of NA engines needing work or even replacement at much lower mileages. I presume those cars were not maintained properly and thrashed daily.
inky

Post by inky »

Great when things work, eh? :mrgreen:

The only major expense mine has had, was the gearbox replacement when I got it last May. Oh and a caliper siezed the other week.

It had a C-Service at a local Toyota dealer just to keep the history updated and thats about it.

My g/f's Fiat Punto has just started rattling like a bag of spanners and it conked out on my doorstep half an hour ago. N-reg with 37k and one owner from new - her mum. Serviced and cleaned and generally taken care of, but dies with that kind of mileage? Where's the workmanship?

Whereas I just check the oil on my car, stick fuel in it, and drive about. She hates me. :D
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

What went wrong with your gearbox?

Since I bought my MR2 the 'box has been a bit whiney in 5th, but driven normally it still works ok and the noise is barely audible. That said the gear change is becoming a bit more mechanical, especially from first to second and second to third. Synchro problems I presume. Considering the car's age I tend to drive it gently nowadays, so I guess it'll be ok for a while.

Unlike Fiats and most other cars Toyota's build quality back in those days was only matched by Mercedes, (which has since dropped it's standards).
inky

Post by inky »

Gear selection from 1st - 2nd and 3rd - 2nd was always crunching, it was impossible to change with any kind of speed.

I won a gearbox, engine and clutch on ebay for £40 :D

No idea how good the engine was, as I couldn't get it home, stuck the gearbox and clutch on the passenger seat and had it fitted for £175. I was lucky, it could have been worse than the one I already had.

Mind you, all that careful slow changing has rubbed off, even though its fixed I still don't slam it into gear. So perhaps it will last quite a while yet :)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Chassis numbers are issued sequentially - the right most numbers up until the zeros indicate what number off the production line you chassis was. IIRC we scrapped number 800 a couple of years ago.

Patrick
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

A £40 gamble that turned into a result!

Nothing wrong with running an MR2 on a shoestring but some early uncared for Mk2s are fast falling into the wrong hands, driving values down and spoiling the model's image.
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Rogue,

Just checked mine, it's number 304

Does that include cars for the domestic (Jap) market?

If it does then my MR2 was the 304th built. :shock:

How many Mk2 (Rev1 to 5) cars were made in total?

Peter
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Mines No. 1936, built dec '89 and first reg april '90. Got 167300 miles on it with nothing more than a couple of clutches, an alternator, a few gaskets, droplinks and a shock going in the 85000 miles and 7.5yrs I've had it.
Still feels like it wants to rev forever and is quite frequently asked to.
Check out my garage to see how its looking....
R.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

mine is 94,294 does that count as early?! lol :roll:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

No'but a nipper...
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Rob,

Had a look at your pics. Interesting styling mods!

Most people presume Mk2s were sold from 1990 on, good to see another 89 car still going strong.

Peter
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks Peter and likewise!
What do you think to my styling? ( I note you didn't say) I'm not sure these images do it justice (even though it was a deliberate and cold process to go out and shoot them in the dead of a winters night) so must get out with the camera again when the light is good. I'm going for an old school look to try and emphasis the basic (fabulous) shape and keep all the detailing within this shape rather than add on bits that make the car look bigger (IMO of course).
Yours still absolutely standard other than the colour coded sills, spats and lip spoiler?
I'm also thinking of getting it to a Rolling road to see what its producing after all these years... waiting for somebody to organise a group day somewhere close I can join. Anybody?
Peter C

Rob

Post by Peter C »

Rob,

I am intrigued by the number plate location arrangement. What have you done about number plate illumination? I would prefer to see it in the flesh before making my mind up. I've always liked the spoilerless bootlid, kind of less is more approach. I despise Veilside or other kits, don't like side skirts, hate huge rear wings, etc...

I love the shape of the MR2, although it looks best in Rev 3/4 guise with the 15s, lower (than Rev1) suspension, that rear spoiler and round rear lights. I don't like the Rev5 alloys and the Combat spoiler is OTT IMO.

I've improved the appearance my Rev1 by colour coding the lip, sills and spats. I've fitted a Mongoose exhaust and K&N induction system for better sound, not necessarily better performance (benefits are questionable). Inside, CD player and speakers aside it has a Rev 2 steering wheel (smaller and chunkier) and a black round metal gearknob instead of the standard joystick handle. I wouldn't want to do anything else to the car and all the bits I've replaced can be easily replaced with the standard items, which I have and are in mint condition.

In terms of power I too would like to know how much is left under the hood. When Autocar & Motor tested my car they clocked the 0-60 in 6.7secs and 1/4 mile in 15.2secs, significantly better than factory figures. I've been advised that my car has been tweaked before the press got their hands on it but I have not seen any evidence of this. It's fast enough for me, especially considering that I spend most of my motorway journeys in the left lane doing 65MPH.

Peter
inky

Post by inky »

I recognise that white one with the number plate mod :mrgreen:

Its certainly different, I saw them fitting it when I took my car to get my induction kit fitted.

You forgot your mouse and had to come back #-o
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Hi guys,

mine has the plate:
****3SW2000012740

So that would be read like 12.740th to be made?

It was registered in July 1990... 12.000 MR2s in 6-8 months... That's a lot... :)

Just thought it would be nice to share... Not the oldest I guess. :)

Regards,
Vítor
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Peter.
Like you I've kept all the orig bits I've swapped off the car (steering wheel, springs, exhaust, gearlinkage, bootlid and spoiler) to put back on in case I ever decide to sell (though I doubt it). All my mods have improved the driveability of the car except for the despoilering and no. plate mods which are purely cosmetic (though weight saving...). Couldn't believe how much better it felt for the lowering springs (only 30mm) and smaller fatter steering wheel. Likewise the quickshift was an immense improvement over the standard change I had... much shorter and more precise, gear changing is now a joy. The 15"s were on it when I bought it all those years ago.
With the rear plate I just got a 2nd hand center panel (£10), cut out the raised middle bar, screwed the no plate to it and put it back in it's normal place. To illuminate use the current no plate lighting but turn it to face up and just cut two slots in the center panel for them to shine through. I think you can see the slots on one of the pix in my gallery.
For the lower panel just turn it upside down so the middle bar matches up to the line in the bumper and screw it into place. Put the MR2 logo back and presto... Now bring on that rolling road.
R
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Inky,
Yup that was me at Rogue having Matt n co sort the plate out. I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on... too busy admiring my styling changes to remember my mouse, at least I'd got the laptop!
Nice to hear from ya. You'd just got your new 2 hadn't you? Hows it going? What d'ya think to my rear mod then?
Peter C

Vitor

Post by Peter C »

Vitor,

That is a lot of cars in a short space of time, but don't forget that they were exported all over the world - Europe, America, Australia, etc!

Any idea in how many factories MR2s were produced?

Peter

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”