Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

luthor1

Re: Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Post by luthor1 »

Still cannot accept that 'better' is subjective??

[-X
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:
Tiamat wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:I did get it, and I think I made the point if that's what makes you happy then :thumleft: But for me, I'd rather be the one in the Beemer. :eye:
T

Naturally if I could have a more expensive car then I would prefer to.
Its all about the satisfaction we get from driving.
I bet I had more on that journey than he did.

Perhaps you were just the better driver and he just needs lessons. :wink:
edit: it's not just about what is more expensive, win or loose the car is better than the MR2 is the point I was trying to make. If you 'beat' him you did well (though tbh it is easy for most cars to beat most others, it's just a question of commitment, launch, and familiarity - I've seen a 2.0L Passat beat a 400bhp R33GTR simply because of those factors), but it doesn't change which is the better car.
T

I will repeat - did not say my car was better than the Porsche.
But on that road my car was clearly the better car or he would have kept up.
Commitment? He was cutting corners, not me.
Launch - both rollign already coming out of a 40 into a 60 zone.
Familiarity - wouldn't have been on that road if he didn't know it. Its one of those roads.

One question though Toni - if the Porsche is so much better than a MK1 why spend the money on making the twin charger? Surely that money could be spent on buying a Porsche as from what you are saying it will be an inferior car even after the twin charging is done?
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I will only say it one more time. ](*,)

Because an MR2 beats one car in one situation it is not a better car. He may have been cutting corners, but there is no way on earth you know his driving ability. Same driver/same track....I'd put money on the outcome. By better I mean handling/brakes and chassis.

I made the TC because I can. At the time I didn't have the foresight to realise how much it would cost. I'd have a yellow 'comfort pack' 911 GT3 over it any day if I could sell it for the money I have paid out on it. But I can't.

Indeed, I looked into selling my whole MR2 collection not so long ago - if an orange GT3RS ever comes into my price range I will.

T
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Still cannot accept that 'better' is subjective??

[-X

Thought that that was your problem?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Lauren wrote:

[-X

I thought that was your problem?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:
Lauren wrote:

[-X

I thought that was your problem?

Tell you what shall we have a circular argument for a change?
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Anyone who can be bothered to read 20 pages of thread topic will clearly find umpteen examples of me reiterating time and time again that 'better' is a subjective term, and you disagreeing.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Anyone who can be bothered to read 20 pages of thread topic will clearly find umpteen examples of me reiterating time and time again that 'better' is a subjective term, and you disagreeing.

So ergo everything you say is correct then? Brilliant, well done. :+:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

It's just another opportunity for you to bash the hell out of the MR2 Turbo really, we've al seen it so many times before, you'd have us believe every car is better than the Turbo.

I just don't think it's a popular stance for such a high-up member of the committee to take to be so anti- the most popular car on the forum you reside over. Shame on you.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:I will only say it one more time. ](*,)

Because an MR2 beats one car in one situation it is not a better car. He may have been cutting corners, but there is no way on earth you know his driving ability. Same driver/same track....I'd put money on the outcome. By better I mean handling/brakes and chassis.

And I will say it one more time: I HAVE NEVER SAID MY CAR IS BETTER THAN A PORSCHE!

The most I said was on that one occassion my car was clearly the better car - as it coped with the road better and with my driving better and did not have to cut corners or risk hitting anyone oncoming in order to maintain speed around the road.

I have simply demonstrated that an MR2 is a capable car and in the right hands etc can embarass some very expensive machinery. That was my sole contribution to this thread - the fact that under certain circumstances an MR2 (whether MK1/2/3) can be as good as top end metal.

Kind of wished I kept my mouth shut.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:It's just another opportunity for you to bash the hell out of the MR2 Turbo really, we've al seen it so many times before, you'd have us believe every car is better than the Turbo.

I just don't think it's a popular stance for such a high-up member of the committee to take to be so anti- the most popular car on the forum you reside over. Shame on you.

Not at all. But it is possible that there are faster cars out there that lap circuits faster than the turbo, thats all. It's called balance.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

The very fact we always agreed with that, have never said anything contrary to that statement, agree entirely with it, proves difinitively that this is a personal and sustained attack on the MK2 Turbo.

I think the community is tired of hearing it from you now TBH.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:The very fact we always agreed with that, have never said anything contrary to that statement, agree entirely with it, proves difinitively that this is a personal and sustained attack on the MK2 Turbo.

Not true at all. I really do tire of people saying how the mk2 turbo beats, this and beats that. Sometimes all i can can conclude is that they can't have been in that many other performance cars.

Maybe you are taking it all a bit too personally, given that you are about the only one that seems to have this issue?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Lauren wrote:
Not true at all. I really do tire of people saying how the mk2 turbo beats, this and beats that. Sometimes all i can can conclude is that they can't have been in that many other performance cars.

Maybe you are taking it all a bit too personally, given that you are about the only one that seems to have this issue?

One thing that occurs to me is whether you are talking general or specific Lauren. The MR2 can beat other performance cars, yet your post seems to come across as if it cannot beat ANY other performance cars. Would it not be fair to say that the MR2 CAN beat other performance cars but a lot would depend on the situation?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Totally agree. When I see Porsche Boxsters, there's just no excitement at all. Why? Because they look pants and with uprated suspension and a few small breathing mods and boost up, an MR2 Turbo would be more than competition, especially on the straights. I wouldnt even consider my tubby modded to be honest. Simple MBC, downpipe, induction kit and exhaust. I've not changed anything internally, I see these mods as releasing the true safe potential of the engines.

I admit fully i'm jealous of people with loads of money to spend on amazing cars. For example Audi R8, Lamborghinis. When I see these cars I have a grin as wide as my head, when I see a Boxster I just cant help but laugh.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Lauren wrote:
luthor1 wrote:The very fact we always agreed with that, have never said anything contrary to that statement, agree entirely with it, proves difinitively that this is a personal and sustained attack on the MK2 Turbo.

Not taking anything personally. Just defending a great car, and the most popular one on the forum.

From speaking to people both in PM's and in person, I can state here that many people don't want to post regarding this because of the caustic way in which you respond. There are few people who will do it because of the reputation.

For that reason, they simply avoid the posts.

Personally, I don't want newbies to come on here and be ruined by an unbalanced view of how awful these cars are, when it's simply not true.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiamat wrote:One thing that occurs to me is whether you are talking general or specific Lauren. The MR2 can beat other performance cars, yet your post seems to come across as if it cannot beat ANY other performance cars. Would it not be fair to say that the MR2 CAN beat other performance cars but a lot would depend on the situation?

I think possibly Malcolm you are taking it too literally. It would be absurd to say 'the mr2 turbo cannot beat any other performance cars' wouldn't it?

As always there are so many extraneous variables that it is hard to say for sure which is quicker and even harder to say which is better.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:
Not taking anything personally. Just defending a great car, and the most popular one on the forum.

From speaking to people both in PM's and in person, I can state here that many people don't want to post regarding this because of the caustic way in which you respond. There are few people who will do it because of the reputation.

For that reason, they simply avoid the posts.

Personally, I don't want newbies to come on here and be ruined by an unbalanced view of how awful these cars are, when it's simply not true.

I think it is inherent in SMFs (single make forums) that there is going to be a bias towards the car that many members own. I would say that despite my 'caustic' comments that the view of many is obviously biased towards teh tubby simply because its the car they own. I am not suprised by that. I guess i've just been in and driven a great many different cars on road and track and having this experience gives me a more realistic view of how the tubby fits into it all. When i talk about this i talk about standard cars because it is surely the only way to compare cars. There is no point saying well the tubby is great if you modify this and you modify that when there are plenty of other cars around that simply don't need modifying to be good.

I've driven a fair few tubbys and really have not been overly impressed. The only one i thought that was actually a nice drive was Toni's 26K rev3 with Teins on it. The MK1 has its shortcomings too, but from a drivers perspective i find it vastly more enjoyable than a MK2. The motoring press for example generally concur with my stance on things as, though the only disagreement i encounter is from people who own Mr2s.

You have to remember that whilst i like my MR2s (mk1 and MK3s) I am a petrolhead first so i also like to try other cars, hence the latest (about to be) new addition.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Lauren wrote:

I think possibly Malcolm you are taking it too literally. It would be absurd to say 'the mr2 turbo cannot beat any other performance cars' wouldn't it?

As always there are so many extraneous variables that it is hard to say for sure which is quicker and even harder to say which is better.

Not taking it literally - just reading your posts you come across as not acknowledging that the MR2 Turbo could beat a Porsche or other performance car - it was the way your posts read.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiamat wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Not taking it literally - just reading your posts you come across as not acknowledging that the MR2 Turbo could beat a Porsche or other performance car - it was the way your posts read.

Well okay, of course an MR2 turbo could 'beat' a performance car... But I guess it wholly depends on how you define 'beat'. Maybe your definition differs from mine?

Return to “Driving Experiences”