[Mk2] [Turbo] gutting the cat

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

djlee_dj

[Mk2] [Turbo] gutting the cat

Post by djlee_dj »

is it worth anything on a mk2 rev1 (1990)? i take it i have a cat

until i get a full system ?

any links/guides ......... does it increase noise/power ?

not into 'raspy' exhausts like some de-cat pipes give

thanks, i tried searching but i find forum searches useless ......... thanks
SW20Paul

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] gutting the cat

Post by SW20Paul »

I take it you have a turbo model ?

You will see a small gain in performance and noise by gutting the stock cat.

To do it just take it off and smash the middle out with a screwdriver.

But to be honest its a ball ache to get the cat off so if you gonna take it off you may as well replace it with a downpipe which will give bigger performance gains and quicker spool.

Give tim @ xxxx a shout about his downpipes.
djlee_dj

Post by djlee_dj »

turbo yes

i wont be getting the downpipe for a while yet.

how long would it take to remove the cat ?

if it only going to take a few hours + ... then i wouldnt mind gutting it for now ... the full system may need to wait until the new year as it needs lowered + few more things first of all ........ were as i can gut the cat and get by for now. (dont fancy cutting the springs for instance :shock: )

anyone done this ? any guides/tips
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Took me about 2-3 hours to get the old one out :twisted:

God damn thing weights a ton aswel.

The main thing is to make sure you spray everything with wd40 the night before.

(Click on the three way catalist link on the left)

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... system.htm
djlee_dj

Post by djlee_dj »

is it possible to get at the actual cat part and cut it out and weld in a suitable diameter/length of pipe ?

my car wont need cat for mot its 1990, should pass the non cat test as no other mod's have been done

thanks
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

djlee_dj wrote:is it possible to get at the actual cat part and cut it out and weld in a suitable diameter/length of pipe ?

my car wont need cat for mot its 1990, should pass the non cat test as no other mod's have been done

thanks

No, the cat on 3S-GTEs are HUGE!!! The elbow - cat join has got to be upwards of 5" in diameter :shock:

As others have said, if you're on a budget just remove (if only it was that simple lol) the cat and belt a long screwdriver down the middle of the ceramic matrix. It's pretty damn brittle so it should only take a minute or two to break it all free.

WARNING!!! Wear suitable breathing gear whilst doing this, some of the chemicals that are present in catalytic convertors are seriously harmful to your health!!!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

cat

Post by Martin F »

i wasnt able to get all my plans put together there and then either and did this...had a proper car ramp to lift the car over my head to use...big bonus...!5 out of the 6 bolts snapped from the cat/turbo exhaust flange join and didnt have the right tools at hand...nightmare..many hours were wasted here..
as for the gutting of the cat i used a large vice to hold it..tried the screwdriver to no effect ,,had to get 1 and a half "piping about 2 foot long and a large hammer and still wasted 10mins off my life...(not)
noticed the difference straight away,turbo was more responsive and felt the car being a little bit faster...and to notice a difference is a mission in its self.
my only problem was my boost was 2psi higher than before..if youve got a boost controller (then it could be the difference between your engine working and not) by keeping an eye on this.
working and college so sorry for the delays off the unichip photos,will text 2morrow.

Return to “Modifications”