TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tops

Re: TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by tops »

i put the engine back in weeks ago and put all the bits and bobs in and filled the coolant engine oil and gearbox oil and came down in the garage the following day to find coolant sitting on the front of the engine block :shock: , took the turbo and manifold off and you could see it weeping from the head gasket! i pressureized the rad to 1 bar and it pi$$ed out, i spoke to richard and he come over to have a look and thought it may have been a error on his behalf and the oversized head bolts may have been bottoming out, he made a full set of washers and hardened them and suplyed new modifyed bolts also and came over agian and we fitted them but still the same, i stripped it down and whipped the head off and we checked the head and block which were both spot on! he messured the new hks 1.2mm head gasket and it was to thick round the bores so couldn't be crushed down enough to seal the water and oil ways even at 100ft/lb :shock: , got a new gasket fitted it and pressure tested it to 1.5 bar and it's all good now :) , made my new downpipe but needs a little tweak as its pulled a bit after welding it up, so just need to do that and calabrate my widband and we should be ready to fire up :D , the only other thing i can see being a problem is my fuel pump sounds like its running slow so might need a new one, as for the weight mines down to 1290 and still falling, aiming for about 1250 which will make it nearly 1/4 of a ton lighter :D , just watch those 4 wheels smoke :D .
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Richard is a good chap!

I'm hopefully finishing the exhaust manifold on Saturday and my inlet manifold is finished :thumleft: so with a bit of luck and a tail wind I should be putting the engine in next week. Still got to fab up the pipework for the boot mount but that should be easy enough once the engines in. So a couple of weeks and I should be firing up! Then I've got a whole load of stuff to do ready for the AEM! Still knee deep in brakes at the moment!

James
tops

Post by tops »

sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
i've found now the best thing to do is just plod along with it and not to set myself dead lines as it only stresses me out trying to keep to them!
now i'm going with the "when it runs it runs" but i dont know when that will be so i'll just keep plodding along.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Its just everday at work, is it done yet??? ](*,)

Yep plodding is best, theres no other speed! It took me about a month or more to do my inlet manifold, it is pretty cool though, I'll post pics up soon.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Keep at it Jim. I know it gets disheartening some times, but I can assure you more than most mate.... It's worth it in the end. :wink:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well after hours of work porting the runners here it is. The pictures don't do it justice at all! The porting looks crap on the photo's but is spot on in real life. It looks the business and should be going on once is tapped. This boot mount will be the best one ever! :D

Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Very nice work Jim, did you consider velocity stacks in the design at all??

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

top stuff,

Probably my favourite car on IMOC :thumleft:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Excuse my ignorance Jim, but I thought the downfall of the stock inlet manifold was it's runner design. Yours looks good, but isn't it just a redesigned plenum chamber welded to the stock (but gas flowed) runners?

The runners on yours are of unequal length...

...where as the RMR is clearly equal.

I thought that, along with the increased VE, was the whole point of creating a custom manifold in the first place?

I'm confused? :scratch:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

any progress on the exhaust manifold yet ? like the inlet mani, hope it performs up to expectations.

noted from earlier in the thread, you were thinking of getting rid of the trd kit. i don't think you should, yeah, on the forums it seems popular, but it's still a very rare kit. yeah, people on here know the kit well, but out in the "general public" it's still as fresh as the day it was designed. just get it all put together and run in, enjoy the summer with it, and worry about cosmetics over the winter !
Harry

Post by Harry »

splashnatz wrote:any progress on the exhaust manifold yet ? like the inlet mani, hope it performs up to expectations.

noted from earlier in the thread, you were thinking of getting rid of the trd kit. i don't think you should, yeah, on the forums it seems popular, but it's still a very rare kit. yeah, people on here know the kit well, but out in the "general public" it's still as fresh as the day it was designed. just get it all put together and run in, enjoy the summer with it, and worry about cosmetics over the winter !

Quite agree :clap:...100%

Just finish off the mechanical as you are doing and enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!

And as Earl rightly says we all get fed up but the reward at the end will
out weigh and now aggrivation/s.

Keep up the great work! :clap:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheers guys.

The manifold runners are basically equal length give or take. If you look the middle two they bulge out towards the rear of the manifold and are lower and hence are slightly longer. The problem with the stock manifold is that the TB points the wrong way! :D :wink:

The real reason for modification is that the charge pipework will enter the boot through the extreme right of the bulk head and go straight into the boot mount, with this setup I would wager my combined piping length is as short as stock mount location.

I considered Stacks but couldn't be bothered each runner is ported and I consulted Coltec Racing Engines who completed my engine work and have been in the head porting and engine building business for donkeys and they said stacks are not neccessary.

I am now concentrating on completing my car and then will consider starting back into the affiliate thing again concentrating in aluminium fabrication and bespoke parts, although with full stainless capabilities. I have a few things in the pipeline, and even producing a boot mount kit like mine can be done. I have lots of ideas but it will be on a very personal and small time basis.

Anyways now off to test fit my exhaust manifold and screamer, so will bang up some pics later tonight. :D Oh I shall take some pics of the inlet manifold fitted too as it is on now. :D
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Oh and I weren't guna pay £600 for an RMR one, no matter how good it looks :wink:

Once the car is done I am going to work on a new version over the winter with stacks etc, just to do it right ](*,) and compare the two. If its better then it will go on. For interest purposes I will get them flow tested. Or I might not be able to be bothered :D
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ok here are some pics of the inlet manifold fitted, the exhaust will be coming as soon as they are uploaded!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ok here are some pics of the exhaust and Turbosmart screamer complete. I'm just waiting for the 3071r to arrive now and then its bolt up time and engine back in.

Century Motorsport

Your inlet is a very similar design to what im thinking, i have an mr2 in the unit now with a trick custom manifold and ive been looking at it with a view to doing the same to mine.

Im in the prediciment now as weather to tackle it and go for it - risking it taking far longer than i hope and missing out on TOTB or just sticking with the std gen 3 one (which has been ported in all fairness).... how long did this take you at a guess? I have a very good ally welder so the welding isnt the problem, its just the time scale and planning!!!

Top top job there though :thumleft:

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow wow wow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Over a month of messing around. The runners each take about one day of buggeration to do. The trouble is you have to chop off the runners from the plenum, mine are shortened, then weld on a plate. After its welded you have to drill out the runners and then start with the file. Once its filed start with a die/pencil grinder, then finish with a sanding drum, a little tidly one that is.

I would say give yourself a month to get it sorted.

Oh and stop copying me, lol.
Century Motorsport

Like the exhaust manifold =P~

My design will be cut much further down the runners than yours - with velocity stacks sitting approx 3/4" proud in the chamber. Also, ill have a 45degree angle going into the boot to make rigging up to the boot mount i/c a tad easier for me.... ill think more tomo and speak with fabricators then make a desicion!

Nathan
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Is that a XS power gt30 Manifold

Return to “Project Cars”