TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Re: TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by Jimbob »

A few more pics. Just finished spraying where the heatsheild over the exhaust used to be. I used some Tetrosyl undercar with added waxoil. Its in a yellow tin and is excellent for anybody wanting to do that kind of thing.

Got the Fuel Surge tank, pump and filter in now. Also tested the IC core for fitment. Its all a bit tight, but fits just perfect. Now as soon as my inlet manifold is done we should be in business!

MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Wow jimbob

Looks brilliant good job. Nice to see something different to Chargecoolers :thumleft:

One thing i noticed is you are using a xspower intercooler? I was having a chat with a tuning friend of mine at weekend about these intercoolers as he was saying that there cooling capabilities arn't brilliant due to the poor end tank design which would not allow effcient flow through the core. If you look at say a Greddy or blitz large intercooler the end tanks are huge and direct the air to travel through all the bars in the intercooler but compared to the xspower ones i can only see it travelling efficiently through the bottom bars . The only xspower intercooler we decided to be anygood was the 4" wide one due to having bigger tanks which allows the air to spread across the whole intercooler.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ryan,

Mine actually isn't an XSPower intercooler. Their is no way I would use any of their stuff as I had one of their 4" Greddy style versions in my hand and they are shocking, the internal fins were loose for a start.

This was one of the more expensive intercoolers on ebay so should be ok. I get what you are saying about the end tanks but TBH, how would I get anything bigger in! :D Even if it only uses half the core it will still be about twice as big as a Greddy which are known to do over 400bhp.

I'm not convinced that as air hits a restriction at speed it wouldn't spread to the outer edges of the core anyway? I'll put some thermcouples on each edge of the core once i'm up and running and log the temperature difference. Judging on my previous core it will be negligable.

Oh almost forgot the XS Power core as used on Jekyll and Hydes car seems to work ok for him? :wink: Thought he made a 40RWHP gain with that and an RMR so can't be too bad. :-k
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

Good Good jimbob, it certainly looks like you are gunna have one cracking car when finished. :thumleft:

Oh almost forgot the XS Power core as used on Jekyll and Hydes car seems to work ok for him? Thought he made a 40RWHP gain with that and an RMR so can't be too bad.

True
JekylandHyde

Post by JekylandHyde »

Jimbob wrote:Oh almost forgot the XS Power core as used on Jekyll and Hydes car seems to work ok for him? Thought he made a 40RWHP gain with that and an RMR so can't be too bad.

Nope. :)

We made an additional 36 rwhp when we added the RMR.
We made an additional 47 rwhp when we added the TMIC.

That's 83 HP for the two combined ;)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

In my mind the main advantage of a CC was space saving with the TMIC homebrew system offering more HP handling than the current off the shelf CC's. Secondly cost was a big issue. I was tempted to do a home made PWR core based unit but TBH couldn't be bothered with the water pipes and front mount rad. So in the end went for no boot, which doesn't bother me as its a weekend car, with the potential for whatever HP I wanna throw at it within reason.

I'm already considering a GT35R :whistle: We'll see how the 3071 does and how long it takes me to get bored first :wink:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Jimbob wrote:In my mind the main advantage of a CC was space saving with the TMIC homebrew system offering more HP handling than the current off the shelf CC's. Secondly cost was a big issue. I was tempted to do a home made PWR core based unit but TBH couldn't be bothered with the water pipes and front mount rad. So in the end went for no boot, which doesn't bother me as its a weekend car, with the potential for whatever HP I wanna throw at it within reason.

I'm already considering a GT35R :whistle: We'll see how the 3071 does and how long it takes me to get bored first :wink:

I was of the same mind Jim. Go the TMIC route instead of the CC, but after hearing how well the Radtech system works, and experiencing it for myself, I opted for that. Don't knock it until you try it as they say. :wink:

Same goes for the GT3071. It's such a good turbo for the street (and I'd imagine it's not too bad for competition either), and has excellent spool characteristics. Try 1.5 bar by 3300rpm for size. :wink:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I started off wanting 300, then 350, then 400, now I want more and all I have ever driven is mine at 250ish. Oh and I reversed my mates GT4 :lol:

Not knocking the Radtec Earl. With lots of things on my car I have tried to stay away from the norm oh anything anyone else had. Hence HKS flywheel, my own fuel system, custom manifolds and a GT3071r designed for an Evo with an integral wastegate mount. All extra work but in my eyes worth it. I thought my TRd was individual but there getting more and more about.

Am actually considering getting rid of the TRD and going for a Border kit and Bomex Wing. This one car I have seen totally rocks and if I could swap my bodyshell I probably would. TRD looks awesome in a rear view mirror, especially one slammed on teins but it's so impractical, hard to get out of without hitting your feet on the skirts, hard not to bottom out, mine is annoying me due to the imperfections in paint. Once its resprayed we will see how I feel.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Jimbob wrote:I started off wanting 300, then 350, then 400, now I want more and all I have ever driven is mine at 250ish. Oh and I reversed my mates GT4 :lol:

Not knocking the Radtec Earl. With lots of things on my car I have tried to stay away from the norm oh anything anyone else had. Hence HKS flywheel, my own fuel system, custom manifolds and a GT3071r designed for an Evo with an integral wastegate mount. All extra work but in my eyes worth it. I thought my TRd was individual but there getting more and more about.

Am actually considering getting rid of the TRD and going for a Border kit and Bomex Wing. This one car I have seen totally rocks and if I could swap my bodyshell I probably would. TRD looks awesome in a rear view mirror, especially one slammed on teins but it's so impractical, hard to get out of without hitting your feet on the skirts, hard not to bottom out, mine is annoying me due to the imperfections in paint. Once its resprayed we will see how I feel.

Yeah, I know how you feel Jim,

Mine is, mechanically anyway, nearly the way I want it, but rhe bodywork has suffered in the mean time. Little scratches, chips and stuff from when the car was in bits. I'm the same mate. I get disheartened by things if they're not perfect. :(

Not to say they won't be though. :wink:

Keep your chin up Jim, theres light at the end of the tunnel. My car is testement to that. :thumleft:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Quality-fabrication-design-parts-work-planning and project.

It is a pleasure to read this article-so impressed JIMBOB-WELL DONE :!: :clap:
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

Very nice jimbob. I was lookin at doing the trd kit. Lots of work by the looks of what u've done. Nice to see it out this year
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thanks for the comments. The good news is the car is progressing nicely, just slower than I would like. The inlet manifold is due to be welded up this week/weekend.

So, anyway I got onto brakes

40 Groove - Phosphate coated discs
Goodridge hoses
EBC greenstuff pads
DOT 5.1 fluid
Brake Calipers cleaned and greased

I think they look much better, and hopefully will give me some improvements.

pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Brilliantly done so far. Love the car... :thumleft:
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

This car as always been my fave TRd mr2.I just hope mine looks half as good as this when i eventually get it back :roll: .

But with all the stuff u have done to it now,its in a different league.Well done mate,and can't wait to see it finished.It is a awesome car.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

this just keeps getting better jimbob.

shame you swapped the mirrors for some you could actually see out of, but i can see your point that they have to be "use-able".

The work that's gone into that boot mount - WOW - but just by looking at it, you know it's something a little bit special (just like the rest of the car).

keep smilin' (and welding !)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Now for more bad news, I'm getting used to it!

The rear calipers have built up what appears to be a lip of rust from sitting in one place. I shall be stripping all calipers blasting and re-furbing them the next week.

I have actually really suprised myself at how much I have tackled myself and it feels good when you do things in you garden, with a handfull of tools, highly reccommended.

I'm actually thinking about buying a N/A as a track car now. Want a dog to do up though. I need something to fiddle with to keep me happy, an N/A would be perfect. My mates just bought an MX-5 (ST205 as first car)and its well cool. Need to get my house and a garage first though.

Right as I got some nice comments I thought I would take a pic of the boot with the top of the tank in. Not perfect but its coming along, the turbosmart sticker needs ripping off as I thought it was a decal.

Hopefully I will have my inlet manifold finished in about 1 week. Then its back in with the motor after 1 year!! :shock: Then mapping the AEM in the front garden :-s

James

TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Good progress there, whats the deal with the Phosphate coated discs? Does it just prevent corrosion around the edges? (I assume most of it rubs off soon after you start using them)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah thats it mate. Where the brakes touch it rubs off, but if you drive fairly regularly rust is not a problem in this area, as it gets polished by the pads. Just helps the rest stay pretty :thumleft:
tops

Post by tops »

nice to see your nearly there, spoke to john and it sounded like you were running out of go! who do ya think will have there's running first me or you? :lol:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

You know what its like better than most Dan! I just want it done, but don't wanna cut corners. Got all the brakes off now and the fronts are goosed! Got my re-furb kit so I'm on with re-furbing them.

Yours sleeved yet? Haven't spoke to Richard for a couple of weeks.

I moved my engine last night and all being well the inlet manifold will be done this weekend. I'm guna move the engine to the garage then fit that and the turbo side of things then straight into the garage with the rolling chassis to get the engine in. My Uncle owns westleton garage so getting it fitted in his workshop, then get it started finally. If you fancy doing a running in road trip let me know I need to get 500miles on quick then fit AEM.

I hoping for about what you had previously, that went well :shock: I think any more on the MR2 chassis is too much, the GT4 just has more forgivingness, 4 wheel slides are controllable, and it seems to have bags of traction. Mind you the MR2 is lighter so its a good matchup.

We need to get to some shows in convoy this year, get the starlett in on the act too! :D

Return to “Project Cars”