TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tops

Re: TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by tops »

sorry to hear about the electrics, i hate them too there are so many bits to test, i had trouble with my wide band and had to mod the harness but thats nowhere near as bad as your problems.
dont think ive got your number!
i'll come and take you out for a blast that will make you want to get your skates on :D
the hydra is good and im glad i went for it now, the only real difference to yours really is the hydra comes with a harness which makes it alot more straight forward to fit.
mmmm evo8 what a car! love evos my mates looking at evos at the mo his after a 8
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well more bad news tonight!

I am pretty sure that the wiring I have installed on the ecu and extra bits and bobs is not at fault, which is good. However even with the ecu loom totally removed I am gettin the ECU fuse pop!

I have backtracked into the wiring under the ignition barrell and am finding that as soon as I turn the key the ECU fuse and turn signal fuse both blow! Well I think it is the turn signal fuse anyway. My alarm fuse also blows. so I don't think the problem is with the ECU side of things, I actually think it is with the under dash wiring as this headlight fault was there to start with but the ECU fuse was ok, now the ECU fuse keeps popping even though I haven't touched anything at that end. The fuse on the alarm is 15A.

It seems suspicious that the Turn, and Alarnm fuses are blowing and the alarm is linked to the hazards when it arms. So myabe getting closer? Its very anoyying as the car is ready to start!

Any help greatly recieved!

Syptoms

1. left turn signal on but does not flash
2. Soon as key is turned ECU IG, Alarm fuse and Turn fuse pop
3. Turn light stays on
4. Full beam lights work
5. Retracting light relay box thingy humms a little?
6. EFI fuse has blown once only when fiddling
7. Tried a larger fuse in ECU IG as a trial and it blew straight away
8. Cup of tea cake and a few tears :(

James
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Jim Bob I may be wrong here mate but i had similar symtons caused by a bad install of an Alarm which kept blowing fuses or just try disabling the alarm!

Good Luck hopefully you'll crack it soon mate! :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hmm, I'd also go with a possible problem with the Alarm - Can you disconnect the Alarm and see if you still get fuses blowing?

Other than that, sounds like one of the switched 12V feeds is shorted to the chassis somewhere, blowing the fuses. The online BGB does have the outline wiring diagrams for the car - I'd trace back from the fuses that blow and look for a common source. Not an easy job, but once sorted will be really good to see your car running
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Electrical problems sorted! Silly mistake in the end. Now have a very cool tracker fitted which texts me and all sorts of stuff, integrated into my Cat1. Even Mr Forster was impressed and hes a right grumpy bu88er normally! :-#

Well a bit more progress has been made and the only real thing left to do is weld up my downpipe as the previous one didn't fit. Looking forward to the fire up now although a little nervous.

A few pics for the guys that I have been chatting to on the TMIC thread. I will get this little lot finished this weekend and a summary written.

Cheers for the support guys.

Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Me grumpy!!....good work Jim and get her fired up :mrgreen:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I'm tryin!

TBH I have a lot to thank Andy for as he has been a great help in just about everything, right from the word go when this started months and months ago. Great guy no matter what anyone says, apparently has avery smelly living room once a year in July!

By the way who got them boots? han't heard from Chris since, obviously they've been working and hes been busy?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well I managed to get the cart started today for the first time in about 15months!

It needed quite a lot of adjustment FPR wise to get the rail pressure up. I think this is to compensate for the lack of cold start injector. I am actually suprised how well it runs on stock management and injectors, seems fine for now, and will do nicely for running in. On idel its no louder than it was porior to the rebuild, the engine sounds like a stock engine so i'm well chuffed, no lumpyness, no uneven idle, smooth quiet, no piston slap at all. The only noticeable difference is hearing the turbo still spinning after the engine is shut down.

Now onto the next problem...........Inner Drvice shaft joints!

Well I have the balls out of the my inner drive shaft joints, have cleaned all the parts and have new grease ready. The only trouble is I can't get the cage and balls back into the outer race. No matter what I try they will not fit.

Is it neccessary to remove the inner race? or do I need to split the outer race and do it that way? The balls and cage won't go in as things are.

They are both on the car.

James
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Jim, well done with getting it fired up!! :thumleft: got a quick question for you... how did you overcome the problem of the throttle cable length when geting it to reach your new TB location??

thnx bud
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ryan,

The standard length cable reaches. Its far from ideal but I am making a custom pulley arrangment to go on soon. I'll let you know when its finished and post up pics. Car is back off the road again as it has an oil leak. Thats getting rectified prior to running in.

James
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Fantastic read mate!! :thumleft:

A great read and amazing to see it all come together!! :clap: That engine is a piece of art! =P~ Did you fabricate the exhaust yourself???!! Fancy doing another??! :wink: :whistle:

Awesome work :thumleft:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheers

Other than the Goliath clutch it drives really well. The wastegate sounds a bit mental! running 0.5bar actuator and it lifts so quickly on part throttle. AVCR shows a perfect 0.5bar when switched off.

Can't wait to get it mapped and open it up!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

sweet mate, sounds good :D hmm, wonder if the rev3 cable is shorter than the rev 1/2? mine will only reach just past the suspension strut!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Mine will run into the boot comfortably.

I'm sorting this pulley arrangement anyway. Will let you know how I get on.

James
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

RyanRs wrote:sweet mate, sounds good :D hmm, wonder if the rev3 cable is shorter than the rev 1/2? mine will only reach just past the suspension strut!

The n/a is the longest cable thats what I was told.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Probably true as the N/A throttle body sits on a side feed on the left hand side of the engine bay.
mikewright

Post by mikewright »

glad it started for you mate. It's been a lot of work but what a car you created. Still getting my engine out at the moment then maybe one day i'll be able to pop over for a drive with you.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheers Mike.

I'm getting an oil leak fixed this weekend then maybe i'll pop down to see you and give a hand, need to do some running in miles

James
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Great news she's running james \:D/
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Has your car been mapped yet Jim ?

Return to “Project Cars”