[Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo gone?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CH1EF

[Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo gone?

Post by CH1EF »

my friend has a Rev 2 turbo with a hybrid stage 1 CT26 turbo fitted. Was running well and after a 2 hour drive (hard driving) he came out of a round about and boot it and no boost what so ever.

So the car now;
produces no boost,
there is a rattle it seems that sounds like its coming from the turbo,
wastegate works perfectly at 15psi (so not that)
after the car starts to warm up it produces alot of smoke (smells like a BBQ!) and then after that if you turn off the engine the exhuast still carries on smokeing as if there is oil sitting in the downpipe and is being burnt off by the heat.

I had another memeber of this forum come over yesterday to help me out (thank you very much again) and he thinks that the turbo shaft may have snapped but at the end of the day the turbo needs replacing and this should fix the problem.

would you agree on this by reading the above?
or is there a chance its some thing else?

thanks for any help :D
Last edited by CH1EF on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Has my turbo gone?

Post by RyanRs »

i would fink its a snapped shaft, or simila .... but ... How do you know the wastegate is working perfectly @ 15psi, if you have no boost pressure?
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

took off the hose and used a pump to pump up the actuator to see it working....!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

turbo

Post by Martin F »

you need to get a professional diagnosis with that one mate.couldnt say without seeing it but book your car into a garage asap and dont drive it,could cost loads more...!got to be cool to wear shades 8)
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

few more things to add for ya mate.

actuator opens and closes fine at 15psi

there is no boost coming from the compressor housing to the actuator on full chat, i.e blade is not spinning

its making no boost what so ever and nothing controllin the turbo other than the exhaust gases spinning the turbines (which it is not doing)

when engine is off there is oil smoke coming from the exhaust as if the oil seal is still p1$$ing oil in the DP even when not running

HTH
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

thanks for the input ^^^^^hes my mr2 guru 8)
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

SORRY...JUST A BUMP INCASE ANY ONE HAS ANY OTHER INPUT BEFORE I BUY A NEW TURBO......? ANY OTHER IDEAS ON WHAT IT COULD BE? OR DO YOU AGREE?

SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If you have the time/ability take the downpipe off and the hose from the airfilter then spin it, if one spins and the other doesnt then it's defo the shaft snapped. I assume you've already done the easy thing and checked that the blades on the compressor side spin freely?

It does sound pretty typical of a snapped shaft though to me.

Be warned, if your seals have gone and your burning oil your gonna be losing oil so best not to run it too much!
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

it spins with excessive play but dont feel like there is a exhaust side to it ;)
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

ordered a new turbo. So will find out for sure at the weekend :D
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

got old turbo out today - the shaft HASN'T snapped and I can see nothing wrong with the turbo!

But im going ahead with fitting the new turbo and at least that area can be ruled out.

any more guesses what it could be? prizes for correct answers :wink:
Nick@DSA

Post by Nick@DSA »

Wastegate could be stuck open..
CH1EF

Post by CH1EF »

nope wastegate is closed!

well got the turbo off and it looks completely fine :? But put on the new CT20b and the car boosts again :D not sure if its just a case of me adjusting/moving something while I was swapping the turbo's over. There seemed to be ALOT of bolts missing from the car :shock: the old owner must have been trying to save weight by holding the downpipe on with 2 nuts etc!

Any ways the car works now - need to fully test it tommorrow to check but annoying ive found nothing wrong with the car but happy it is now working ready to be used again :D

thanks all for the advice etc - much appriciated
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

i will be about tomorrow mate if ya need a hand ;)

Return to “Mechanical”