My GT4 ST205 Vs New Shape M3 (E46?)

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

fizz

My GT4 ST205 Vs New Shape M3 (E46?)

Post by fizz »

Took off from the lights round a long sweeping left bend on an incline and both of us nailed it.. I was on the inside lane and went through 1st and 2nd to redline and it wasnt as secure as i had hoped.

The m3 was about a car length behind as i presume he couldnt put all his power down like my car. Once the bend straighted up it came onto a round about which i slowed down and he kept on going. :shock:

He was hard on the brakes as another car was coming so I got in behind him. As we both left the round about in 2nd gear he was ahead of me and he got his power down just a split second before me... Went through 2nd and then 3rd to redline and by the 4th gear he was about a car length in font. And i conceeded and let him blast onwards. (this stretch was all uphill on a dual carrigeway)

Fortune would have it that we met again at the next set of traffic lights and i looked over and he gave me a wave and a smile as acknowledgement of the encounter which was great. *esp from a bimmer driver. His wife/gf was not impressed at all with the shinanigans! and had her head leaned against her arm in the window trying to hide! :mrgreen:

The lights turned green and we were both off again but this time for a straight line sprint. Nither of us dumped the clutch and it was a smooth progressive take off. (the clutch smells like b1tch if the GT4 is abused)

0 to 70 and there was nothing in it! and then once we got to about 110 he was a car length ahead...

With a flash of the hazards and a wave we parted company and went in a different direction...

It aint often I have come across a M3 Driver who has actually acknowledged a 12 year old Toyota .. :eye:

To put thigs into perspective my car is pushing 276 bhp and 275 ft/lb of torque whereas the M3 looked stock and they push out 300+ i believe.

Feel free to have a dig at the speeds as we all do it at some point or another.
Last edited by fizz on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muttley

Re: My GT4 ST205 Vs New Shape M3 (E46?)

Post by Muttley »

Sounds like a good duel. The M3, if it was the new one, is the E46. They are down as having around 340bhp but this is optimistic from what I've heard. In reality many make around 320ish on rolling roads and torque is probably around 270ish.

I've had a couple of blasts with M3s and they are no quicker than my car. Over about 110-120mph the M3 will really hit it's stride though and probably edge away from fairly standard MR2s. That 3.2 vanos lump will pull all the way to about 175ish. Great cars, still one of the best driving sports coupes around if not the most powerful. And the M3 CSL is magnificent IMO.

As for speeding, don't worry about it if it's safe to do so. A quick blast is hardly a crime of the century.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Was deffo the last one that was released. It was on a MY53 plate with the quad tailpipes.

In my mr2 i managed to leave one behind but he was 4 people heavy and it was also a drop top. My MR2 as you can see under my name was a rev 3 tubby with boost increased to 15.5psi.

I left him about a car length behind by the time we hit about 70ish... :mrgreen: He was none too impressed. :eye:

I miss my tubby but what can ya do? The GT4 is plenty enough to keep me happy at the moment but not as fun to drive as the tubby was.
Neal

Post by Neal »

Sounds like a good crack at the M3 mate.

At the end of the day they are very quick as standard and compared to the age/price of your car id put you as the winner!
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

fizz wrote:The GT4 is plenty enough to keep me happy at the moment but not as fun to drive as the tubby was.

Fizz, I was the same. Wrote of my MR2, bought a GT4 ST205 like yours, was happy for a couple of months, sold it and bought an R32 GTR - amazing car but just bought a house so had to sell and 'down grade' to an Evo 4.

The GT4 just didnt do it for me. And the best car outta them all was/is the R32 GTR, not got my Evo4 yet though as still on the boat.

:)
fizz

Post by fizz »

Hedgehog Dodger wrote:
fizz wrote:The GT4 is plenty enough to keep me happy at the moment but not as fun to drive as the tubby was.

Fizz, I was the same. Wrote of my MR2, bought a GT4 ST205 like yours, was happy for a couple of months, sold it and bought an R32 GTR - amazing car but just bought a house so had to sell and 'down grade' to an Evo 4.

The GT4 just didnt do it for me. And the best car outta them all was/is the R32 GTR, not got my Evo4 yet though as still on the boat.

:)

Funny you should mention that... I have just had an offer accepted on a house... so looks like im going to have to sell up. :cry:

Gonna be a £1.5k run abotu for a year or so now which xxxx up my plans for a return trip to the Nurburgring in May... :pale:
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

I had a race with one of these with my old nissan bag o' bolts, we were neck and neck! untill about 120. I actually beat an open top one, but they are slower and heavier (slightly)

They are damn fast and the VANOS allows them to rev to 8K I believe. So 280lb/ft of torque all the way to silly high revs gives em a good 343hp. Bearing in mind my old nissan could pull 13.5@105 quarters, the M3's are even quicker as standard!

Should have seen the shock on his face when he couldnt get past though!!

:mrgreen: =D>
fizz

Post by fizz »

lol... nice one.. my old MR2 hit 13.5 @101mph on the strip.. :mrgreen:
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

I did 14.3 @ 93.7 in my rev 2 turbo which is standard.

Launching it was well easy!

My 200sx would have done low 13s easily if it had launched as well as my MR2!

RIP 200sx :'(

I think the M3's you speak of will do 13.5 @ 107 as standard so the high terminal suggests they have a lot of umph once rolling!!

Return to “Driving Experiences”