radiator problems

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

eatdrinkfeck

radiator problems

Post by eatdrinkfeck »

..started leaking and will cost £225 inc labour and vat to replace!! - i was wondering whether or not to put some wire mesh in front of the new radiator, has anyone tried this?
Urban Assault Vehicle

Re: radiator problems

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

Doubt it will work mate. Water always finds a way out unless you find and seal the holes completely.

In my experience with leaking radiators you're best just biting the bullet and replacing as the fixes don't work that well.

Try replacing it yourself to save on labour, it isn't that difficult. 8)
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

I think he meant whether or not to put mesh on the bumper to stop stones damaging the new radiator once its fitted :) I want to do this, but I'm not too sure how it will look!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

It's an ideal time to put mesh in, makes putting cable ties a lot easier with the radiator out.
eatdrinkfeck

Post by eatdrinkfeck »

hmm thanks johnny, unfortunatley the rads been replaced already! Have you got mesh up front then? - n if so how difficult was it and hows it look?
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Have a look in my garage to see how it would look mate, I havent made a particularly good job of mine its just there to serve a purpos, but you get the idea!
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

I recently replaced the radiator in my 1990 MKII T. I looked around on the web for a replacement rad and was disgusted by the prices I saw. At no time did I ever consider having a shop fit it (I like my money too much)
I ended up getting a brand new unit from Ebay, it arrived in two days and fit like a glove.
Installing it was more of a pain than I thought due to my car having an AC evaporator in front of it. I ended up removing the fans and dropping the old rad. out the bottom. Install was reverse of removal. The two rad. hoses do take a while to fit due to their short length.
Bleeding the colant system was a piece of cake(much easier than any of the MKis I have owned)
Overall, it cost me less than 115.00 to replace the radiator and coolant.

Return to “Mechanical”