Rogue Systems Tubby Vs Jeremy Clarkson's SL55 AMG

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This is ...

Great driving
83%
Just having a laugh
17%
Stupid
No votes
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick'
No votes

Total votes: 36

pintovit

Re: Rogue Systems Tubby Vs Jeremy Clarkson's SL55 AMG

Post by pintovit »

Fabulous story... :)

Never met the Carlson fellow but really fancy watching Top Gear. And I know he is never happy about losing...

So imagining his face (actually his face driving the Atom :D) behind the tubby until 80... and then is relief...

Glorious...
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

seconded-well done for bringing this back up-best read from this thread EVER!! :thumleft:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Quality thread. =D>

Just goes to show that a mildly tuned MR2 Turbo can beat most of the big performance monsters within the realms of legal driving limits.

Its not all about top speed.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Dave81 wrote:Quality thread. =D>

Just goes to show that a mildly tuned MR2 Turbo can beat most of the big performance monsters within the realms of legal driving limits.

Its not all about top speed.

It IS if the 'monster' is limited to 155mph... :mrgreen: Once you finally catch up with the SMG you will very slowly take it in the tubby! :lol:
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Can one of the Big power IMOC MR2's lend their MR2 to Top Gear Towers for one morning and then he stalk in the car park until JC arrives and challenge him to a 2007 rematch :twisted: ?

There's quite a lot of 450-500fwhp+ MR2's on IMOC :evil: - surely they'll give JC a run over the 1/4 mile in his GT40 ???
fizz

Post by fizz »

He has sold the GT40 and got his name down for a Gallardo Spyder... dunno if he has taken delivery of it yet though.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

rwilson_ie wrote:Can one of the Big power IMOC MR2's lend their MR2 to Top Gear Towers for one morning and then he stalk in the car park until JC arrives and challenge him to a 2007 rematch :twisted: ?

There's quite a lot of 450-500fwhp+ MR2's on IMOC :evil: - surely they'll give JC a run over the 1/4 mile in his GT40 ???

Or you could just turn up in a supra and do it properly. The mr2s are nothing special in a straight line.
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

mr2s imo are slightly more underestimated compared to the likes of scoobies, evos, supras ect dunno why but i always expect those cars i mentioned to be running silly bhp on the other hand a std looking tubby with 400bhp would defo surprise him
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

jonb- wrote:
rwilson_ie wrote:Can one of the Big power IMOC MR2's lend their MR2 to Top Gear Towers for one morning and then he stalk in the car park until JC arrives and challenge him to a 2007 rematch :twisted: ?

Or you could just turn up in a supra and do it properly. The mr2s are nothing special in a straight line.

MR2's are more impressive in a straight line from standing start IMO. The supra only really comes into its own after 80. I'm a member over at MKivsupra.net as i'm thinking of buying and everyone i have spoken to agree's. Look at a 400bhp supra's 1/4 mile time and a 300bhp MR2's time. According to our board MR2's win hands down. Of course the terminals of the MR2 is a little lower than the Sup with it being around 112-115 compared to the mr2's 105-110.

After 80 supra's are just awesome. Its amazing to watch the speedo of one from 80 to 160 leptons.

Scott =op
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

fizz wrote:He has sold the GT40 and got his name down for a Gallardo Spyder... dunno if he has taken delivery of it yet though.

I thought he hated cars like this and was a ferrari man
fizz

Post by fizz »

The Morris wrote:
fizz wrote:He has sold the GT40 and got his name down for a Gallardo Spyder... dunno if he has taken delivery of it yet though.

I thought he hated cars like this and was a ferrari man

Who knows... thats what he came out with at the Brum MPH06 show i went to at the end of last year.
Riddles

Post by Riddles »

Top story, give us your job.... :lol:

-RIDS-
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

jonb- wrote:

Isn't that the point? Putting a car up against a 'superior' car.
If you know the Supra is going to wipe the floor with the Merc, why bother?
Where is the challenge?
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Tiamat wrote:
jonb- wrote:

Isn't that the point? Putting a car up against a 'superior' car.
If you know the Supra is going to wipe the floor with the Merc, why bother?
Where is the challenge?

Wasn't the supra slower than the mr2 stock?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

jonb- wrote:

No idea, I know jack about Supras.
It was more a reference to your comments about MR2s not being fantastic in a straight line.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
fizz

Post by fizz »

Tiamat wrote:
jonb- wrote:

No idea, I know jack about Supras.
It was more a reference to your comments about MR2s not being fantastic in a straight line.

A rev 3 tubby will hit 60 quicker than the Soop TT but then its bye bye mr2 all the way to 175+
EarL

Post by EarL »

Thought Clarky had ordered the Ford GTX1.

On his latest DVD, that's what he suggests at the end.

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

EarL wrote:Thought Clarky had ordered the Ford GTX1.

On his latest DVD, that's what he suggests at the end.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.diseno-art.com/images/ford_gtx1.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.diseno-art.com/images/ford_gtx1_rear.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/10/fordgtx106_07.jpg

EarL.

the gtx1 sounds amazing on the dvd, 700hp :shock: =P~
not too keen on the wheels though, look like they would be more at home on a kitted 4x4
Trevmr2

Post by Trevmr2 »

Just found this thread, I've just bought that SL55 and the funny thing is my other car is an MR2 turbo with identical set up to the one described by the OP!

(tried to post a pic but it won't let me)

It was Jeremy Clarkson's, he sold it ages ago to a local bloke who I bought it from.

It's in amazing condition, not a single car park ding on the body, but I'm not sure if I like all the gizmos and electrickery, I'm used to driving Jap turbo cars which are fairly simple in comparison.

The seat has half a million adjustments to it, I'm not keen on the keyless entry because I always like to check the door's locked when I walk away, I'll never use the Distronic or the Linguistic thingy, or most of the other buttons lol.

I'm actually thinking of selling it already. I bought it for the brute power and the glorious sound, maybe I should be looking at something like a Griffith 500 next which wouldn't have all the gizmos, but then again I want a GTR which does have gizmos.

Looking at the original bill of sale, Clarkson paid 95k for it including the extras - Nappa leather was 2k lol.

0-50 feels about the same as the MR2, but the power feels strange because it's so effortless.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Trevmr2 wrote:I'm not keen on the keyless entry because I always like to check the door's locked when I walk away

To be fair its pretty obvious that the door is locked without touching the car.

Return to “Driving Experiences”