My car is illegal cos my dampner settings are too stiff :S

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

My car is illegal cos my dampner settings are too stiff :S

Post by RyanRs »

today i was pulled in me car for a random vehicle check by the feds -not normal traffic police, but some kind of 'special vehicle saftey inspector police' , they checked my car over, finding pritty much everything in order, but after pressing down on my arches to check for dampner defects, they told me that they are pritty sure my front shox are not safe for the road... because there so stiff! i have tien flex shox all round, pritty new, the hardness on the front is set quite hard as i have my veilside front bumper and obv need to keep it from hitting the floor...

but his arguement was that because the front shox are so stiff, if i hit a bump at 30mph + i could bounce off the floor! :S -i see his point.. but then he proceded to do me a 'favour' by not giving me a PG9 and Instant £180 fine!! (for costs of geting there certified inspectors to check my car on ramps!) and told me to take it home and not use it till its checked!

:shock: i dont understand how what he is saying can be true?! i mean most modern supercars are sold standard with just as stiff suspension, and even if they are £100,000 more than my MR2 , that fact still isnt gona stop the front bouncing in the air if you hit a bump hard enough!?

i did goto Kwikfit, (frind works there) straight after and the MOT guys told me that they would have no problem with passing my car with the shox as they are....

anyone had simila experience, or know any info to the laws on this?
L0rdMike

Re: My car is illegal cos my dampner settings are too stiff :S

Post by L0rdMike »

My car is rock solid, cant push the front down at all. :?
EarL

Post by EarL »

Utter nonsense. :lol:

Just forget about it mate. They'd probably just got told of by their boss for not booking enough crims :roll:
Last edited by EarL on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

they'll give you any reason to pull you over for. maybethey didn't like the look of your car, the look of your or are just jealous that you look young and drive a young car...who knows????

Was he quite a young one? I always find these fresh out of the academy rookies always have something to prove in front of there peers.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

absolute rubbish - if he thought your car was illegal he would have ticketed you :roll:
i mean, would he have let you get away with it if you had an illegal tyre? of course not
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

did you not say "now watch this launch!" as you proceeded to leave?

they will pick at anything nowadays, why dont they catch some real criminals like hoff

Graeme
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

^Trickster^ wrote:did you not say "now watch this launch!" as you proceeded to leave?

they will pick at anything nowadays, why dont they catch some real criminals like hoff

Graeme

Quality! :lol:
si2040

Post by si2040 »

you should have got his details and report him for giving false advice.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Yeah, a agree withthe above. He obviously felt compelled to say 'something' after finding all was in order . Plus these feds do get very confused when it comes to imports and tuned motors. im waiting to have some fun when i get pulled over for having my plate inside the car when 'technically' by the letter of the law it is legal. Even the MOT place had to concede. Watch this space.

Bobby
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

Personally I'd write a complaint to whoever organises these checks - the council or local cops ? In fact I'm sure the local cops would love to hear about it because most folks will think it's their show.

The numpty who stopped you clearly isn't aware of construction & use regs and so isn't competant to inspect vehicles. Or he's just being prejudiced against your car (more likely).
But the end result is the same, lack of knowledge or allowing personal feelings to affect his judgement, he shouldn't be allowed to impose tickets on the public and needs sorting out.

Most sporty cars have suspension too hard to deflect by hand, just try a caterham for starters...
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

FS he really was talking out of his backside. Treat his comments with the contempt they deserve and ignore it.
T
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

altho peeps said ignore the comments, what if ryan was given £180 fine.....
what on earth could he do then??

im in medway kent as well, lol, i dont want this sort of crap happening, lol.....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Simple, contest it. He didn't get the fine because it is BS!!

edit: sorry quick response as am at work.

Quite simply for Tein to sell their suspension in the UK they have to be marked as 'road going' - if they have that mark then VOSA (who stopped you, and who are getting more powers all the time) cannot argue it.
T
EarL

Post by EarL »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:im waiting to have some fun when i get pulled over for having my plate inside the car when 'technically' by the letter of the law it is legal. Even the MOT place had to concede. Watch this space.

Bobby

Glad to see you've joined the club Bob. :wink:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I know some one in a bog standard Clio that got pulled up and told his body kit was ilegal, the car was too low, the wheels where too big and the tyres were too low of a profile. He just said have a word. He had two 18 stone rugby players in the car they got out and obviously it raised the ride height. He still insisted the other things where against the law.

If you've ever seen a boggo mk1 Clio 16v you'll see they have flared arches, bonnet bulge, tiny spoiler and 15" alloys with 50 profile tyres. The copper left with his tail between his legs after being told to shut up talking crap basically!!

They're bullies!
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

What a muppet.
:evil:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

^Trickster^ wrote:did you not say "now watch this launch!" as you proceeded to leave?

Graeme

:lol: :D
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
revturbo

Post by revturbo »

not to sure if this has been metioned but in the suspension instructions it does say not for road use...
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

wait a minute, you can be randomly pulled over by someone other than the police for no reason at all?

I love the way this country treats it's people like ciminals and it's criminals like people ](*,)

So what would they have said if you'd been on the way to a really important meeting, or to get a plane? They have the right to take up your time without compensation? My time is billed internally by the hour so 30mins for something like this ends up costing projects real cash and for what? I damn sure they aren't going to refund me.

Surely if you have a valid MOT there's no need for this at all.

/rant.
Last edited by Spacey on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revturbo

Post by revturbo »

VOSA

they cant do truck mot's on the side of the road!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”