Boot mount pre-rad- enough airflow?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Boot mount pre-rad- enough airflow?

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Hey peeps

Ok, I'm just wondering, if people think I can make enough airflow through the boot to warrant mounting a pre rad in there for CC?

I know Fizzy has done it, and I plan to go and take looky at his car before I start on anything.

I'm thinking, a scoop on the boot lid (but what about rain?) and either a hole in the bottom of the boot with spal fan or a hole where the centre panel is between the lights with a spal fan?

Any ideas?

TIA
stevecordiner

Re: Boot mount pre-rad- enough airflow?

Post by stevecordiner »

This maybe a stupid question but why not just front mount it? Its the best place for it to go :?:
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

or cut a hole in the boot floor and scoop the air from underneath, 1 of the MK1.5ers has done this. Normal intercooler though i think not CC
Jay
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

This maybe a stupid question but why not just front mount it? Its the best place for it to go

Well, I've got aircon, and I'm not removing it. I know the cinqy rad will fit but I did read about someone (andipandi) having cooling probs with this.

My thinking behind it was,
a) The size of the rad won't be restricted by the gap up front, I could put a monster in the boot
b) Shorter water lines
c) Different from the norm!
nutter

Post by nutter »

I'm running the pace Chargecooler, the rad goes all the way along the front of aperture of the bumper and i still have my aircon. So it is possible to do that
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Hey Dean

Is your car back on the road yet mate?

Any cooling probs?
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

I've had a cinq radiator on the front of my car for about 4 months now, waiting to fit the actual CC at the other end. It made no difference whatsoever to the cooling of my car. :?
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

So maybe it's easier just to do the conventional way?

I was thinking about side mounting the CC where the oem IC sits. But spoke to Patrick and he thinks it would have a negative affect on performance.

Also, is there a good medium for the pump? Ie, pumping water around fast enough to keep the CC cool, but slow enough that it cools when at the rad? Does the GT4 pump run constantly?

Looking forward to the CC \:D/
JJ

Post by JJ »

But spoke to Patrick and he thinks it would have a negative affect on performance.

Nah ! I've whalloped mine all over the shot !! Sure it'll heat up, but it is cooling, I just need to circulate a little more than 5 litres !!! :shock: :lol:

Ambient temp of 27 degrees - cc heatsoaked, water temp around 60/70 degree ( there was even pressure in there ! )

Started it, ran it for 6 mins and it was below ambient !

Sure.. you'll say 6 mins to bring the charge temp down, but it also means its working !

I'm contemplating fitting a thin front element so i can retain the air con too, that way theres quite a bit in circulation and still being cooled in standing traffic and cooled when going along the road.

One thing I did notice a major improvement on is removal of the metal liner on the engine lid !!

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
nutter

Post by nutter »

my car is still at westfields (third week) so i haven't been able to fully test the pace setup, but mike hasn't had any problems (only with flow :) ). TBH Luke the trouble of going to, to make a different cc setup isn't worth it imo. most cooling can be had from the front of the car so that's the best best place to mount the pre-rad, you can mount the actual cc anywhere you like but optimal would be to mimc the st205 setup to keep lag to the minimum. The Rogue/pace kit is a great setup but the price is a limiting factor. I'm lazy and wanted a kit that i could just fit with everything included. thats why i went for the pace one :)

Just my 2p
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

yes mine is a bit odd , ive seen others that have had no problem but mine seems to be the expection to the rule, im now thinking that my engine rad might not be up to the job and starting to get blocked ,

or some fool has fitted a n/a one ,,

anyone now how to tell a n/a rad from a tubbie
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

spose i could always take a few pix....
BenGTS

Post by BenGTS »

I've got a fiat rad installed with no problems but I did remove the air con rad.

Return to “Modifications”