Rear bumper cover

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Rear bumper cover

Post by Race Idiot »

So i've got a rev 3 uk spec car which I am enjoying quite much, but i've had my rear bumper now looks like crap thanks to people touch parking where I live. One side of it the paint looks like it's going to flake off, the other side there are some nasty gouges and there are marks allong the middle of it.

I called up fensport and they seem to have a jap spec bumper cover that is the right colour for my car (dark green mica). But will that bolt up to my car? Also what about the numperplate lights? Will I be able to fit the ones of my uk spec bumper onto the jap one?

Any advice? I'm just sick of looking at my dinged up old bumper.
cantfindausername

Re: Rear bumper cover

Post by cantfindausername »

Yeah the bumper should be a straight swap. Number plate lights, I would think the same, the bumper skin should come with them in there if you ask nicely. Bulb holders I can't see them being different, the reality might be very different though knowing toyota :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

That sounds great, as for the number plate lights fitting i'll just have to go and take a look at it. Cheers
cantfindausername

no worries :D
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Theres a polystyrene insert inside the bumper to give it a bit of rigidity. They surround the number plate holder indentation so obviously these will be different betwen jap and uk spec. See if they can supply the insert too. You can butcher it with a knife but your better off getting the proper insert. You will also find that you will need a new rear number plate . Also, the plastic clips that hold the metal strips and bumper are almost impossible to remove without breaking them - cost about £20 for a full replacement set from Toyota. Everything else is a straight fit. Just weigh up whether its worth all the hassle when compare with a touch up from someone like Chipsaway.
cantfindausername

actually, just thought. The part where the number plate is bolted to at the rear is like this on my import....

***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JeffD wrote:Theres a polystyrene insert inside the bumper to give it a bit of rigidity. They surround the number plate holder indentation so obviously these will be different betwen jap and uk spec. See if they can supply the insert too. You can butcher it with a knife but your better off getting the proper insert. You will also find that you will need a new rear number plate . Also, the plastic clips that hold the metal strips and bumper are almost impossible to remove without breaking them - cost about £20 for a full replacement set from Toyota. Everything else is a straight fit. Just weigh up whether its worth all the hassle when compare with a touch up from someone like Chipsaway.

Well I think they mentioned some sort of foam that comes with the bumper cover, so would that be the polystyrene insert you are talking about?

It does seem a bit of a job, I was going to ask a guy who I know does bodywork for the cost of getting it fixed up but there are some nasty gouges out of one side and I don't know if you can get stuff like that out of plastic.

Are chipsaway decent? Because i'll give them a call tommorow if they are.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Yes thats right, its the foam insert. It is in one piece and is moulded around the recess for the number plate holder - hence the difference in shape between imports and UK cars.

I cant speak of experience of putting an import bumper on a UK car but I have put UK bumpers on 2 import cars and its a pretty easy job - getting it straight is really an issue because to line the holes up you dont have much choice Just put everyting on loosely first then tighten it up.

Basicly you have to remove your rear centre panel and lights (open your boot, keep the light units connected and just hang them in the boot). Not strictly neccessary but having the back of the car up on axle stands and the rear wheels off makes it a whole lot easier. Theres a screw and a bolt inside the wheel arch IIRC on each end of the bumper which tucks into the wheel arch. Undo these then there is about 6 or 8 plastic screw in clips the at hold a metal strip on the top and another on the bottom which secures the rest of the bumper. These are the ones that are allegedly re-usable but have to be cut/broken off. Finally before you dislodge the bumper (it stays in place even after fixings removed) dont forget to disconnect the light unit - dont stretch it!! Thats pretty much about it. Easy job but fiddly - I would give yourself a Saturday afternoon working at a nice unhurried pace to d it. A friend holding the bumper helps but not essential.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

That doesn't sound too bad apart from the clips realy, is there a part number for them?

Thanks for the instructions! :)
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Youll have to wait till the wekend as I dont have access to the receipt at the moment - all I remember is that they cost £20!!! There are 2 different sizes and IIRC you need 6 of one and 8 of the other. They are a standard part - they look like a plastic rawplug with a plastic cross thread screw - complete rip-off but I've never found a good alternative.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JeffD wrote:Youll have to wait till the wekend as I dont have access to the receipt at the moment - all I remember is that they cost £20!!! There are 2 different sizes and IIRC you need 6 of one and 8 of the other. They are a standard part - they look like a plastic rawplug with a plastic cross thread screw - complete rip-off but I've never found a good alternative.

Allreet well just pm me with it whenever you can, thanks for all the help. Man this forum is awesome!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

You need:

12 (8 top and 4 bottom) x 90467-09093 @ 1.55 each = £21.86 inc VAT for the top and bottom rails. Prices are at 12/03/05 so they may have gone up!!

See below anyway...

http://www.ayrpark.plus.com/epc/toyota/ ... _1993.html

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”