gear change

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

gear change

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Hi
my gearchange is very stiff i almost need to force the gears ,changed to a short shifter to see if this helped ,no change .is there something easy that i can adjust at all?
the car is a 1990 G limited
kieran_sly

Gear Change

Post by kieran_sly »

When i first got my 1990 N/A my gears were very stiff too. I first tried changing the gear linkage cables, easy to change and about £40-50 second hand for the pair.
However this didn't seem to cure the problem so the next time i took it for a service I asked the garage to have a look at it and the problem was just the selectors at the gear box end had seized a little, a little WD40 and now as good as new. i was well chuffed.
BLZ-8027

gear change

Post by BLZ-8027 »

thanks do you know where i could get any pictures of these cables going to the gearbox at all
kieran_sly

Re: gear change

Post by kieran_sly »

When I changed mine over I found a "How to" guide somewhere on the web. Just looking for it although cant seem to find it again, anyone else help out here? You should see the cables if you just lift off the gear gaiter. They connect directly to the stick.
kieran_sly

Re: gear change

Post by kieran_sly »

aha found it. www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/images/linkage.pps its in Power point.

Return to “Mechanical”