winding back the clock

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazylegs

winding back the clock

Post by crazylegs »

not strictly legal and i know no one would ever do it but just as a for instance, if a man had a super charger with a dash in kilometers showing 105000km approx 65k mls and he also had a supercharger dash in miles showing 70k mls could he theoretically wind it back 5k mls ? he could then swap them and keep the mileage consistant. save a few bob on a conversion as well. for instance.
Icsunonove

Re: winding back the clock

Post by Icsunonove »

crazylegs wrote: could he theoretically wind it back 5k mls ? he could then swap them and keep the mileage consistant. save a few bob on a conversion as well.

Yes Kev, it is dead easy to do.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

yes - why not, just put an MPH speedo in and adjust the mileage accordingly.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Was always under the impression that changing the mileage was only illegal if you didn't tell!
Heck 666000 miles might be unlucky for another 1000 :lol: miles
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

just remember to roll it back not forward #-o :mrgreen:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Nothing illegal about faffing with odometers, changing mileages swapping them over or anything like that. It only becomes illegal if you knowingly try to pass off a car as having done less miles than it actually has.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

so how would you do it. is it a drill job?
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

crazylegs wrote:so how would you do it. is it a drill job?

best done by PM rather than on the forum there are some naughty people out there who would try and sell cars with adjusted mileage
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Yes, on reflection, agree. Please will people not post detailed instructions on how to clock the car.

PM sent Kev
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Sorry to hijack, but on the speedo subject, has everyone seen my “Speedo Not Working” thread? I could use any extra suggestions

thanks
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

and the fact the milage on past mot's wont match.

I actually have a similar dilema, I've just replaced the engine in my citroen zx, the same cc just lower milage. So do I wind back the clocks or keep them as they are & try to sell it with the 'yeh its actually done less that it shows mate' line? 65K > 28K
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Clocks should show what the chassis has covered, not the engine.

Fair enough changing to convert KM into MPH but remember - if it shows signs of being tampered with (albeit with best intentions) then a prospective buyer will be wary!
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

I recently fitted another dash to my Mk1 conversion (with indiglo white dials! 8) )

I purchased a "spare" unit off Ebay, so I could tinker with it a bit, and decided to set the odometer to zero, reflecting mileage since my conversion was finally completed.

It has had an MOT since, and it is perfectly legal to do: on a 20 year old car, it hardly matters, anyway, especially if it has been modded extensively........

Obviously, when I sell the car, I will disclose the "real" mileage (as THAT would be illegal!)

Regarding the job itself, it seems really easy on the face of it but there are a couple of pitfalls.......(no details here, though: PM if interested! :wink: )

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”