Which turbo for 350+ bhp ??????????

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Silver Turbs

Which turbo for 350+ bhp ??????????

Post by Silver Turbs »

Hi my turbos packed up and im looking for a replacement which can handle 350+ bhp.

Also im in the middle of removing the unit myself, would an aftermarket one be more difficult to replace myself ?? External wastegates etc.

Thanks
MR2_Turbo

Re: Which turbo for 350+ bhp ??????????

Post by MR2_Turbo »

ATS TD06? There's some info on it here: http://www.atsracing.net/ats_racing_td0 ... er_kit.htm
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

Personally the perfect street turbo for 300rwhp (370-380bhpfly) is the gt2860rs. Pulls till redline, one of the most torquey low down turbo's you can buy and very similar spool to a standard ct20b.

Doing them in internal or external wastegates now :D

Or you could go GT3071r-wg i believe Adamr on this forum is running over 350bhp and 380ish ft/lbs torque from his, and thats got plenty more to come.

Tim
xxxx
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Disco Potato for the win!
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

xxxx wrote:i believe Adamr on this forum is running over 350bhp and 380ish ft/lbs torque from his, and thats got plenty more to come.

standard internals ? :-k
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

not sure on internals, but if there are it will only be stength related nothing effecting VE's and power. I know this because the standard rev 1 cams were seriously bottlenecking with that turbo. Nice set of hks 264's should help hugely.

Anyway after the interest at TOTB over my turbo kits i've decided to get my fingure out and really make a big push for them. I want everything ready boxed up and waiting for sales by latest end of the month.

Tim
xxxx
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

was just asking cos i would hazard a guess the poster just wants to replace his duff standard turbo with a bolt on - or at least a bolt on "kit"

I'm still having a GT2860rs full external kit off you in the new year ... spud u like ! \:D/
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

"bolt on kit" where you think all my hard work has been going bud.

My kits are everything, theres even £35-40 worth of gaskets in there alone. You get everything.

To be honest i feel this is the perfect turbo kit for standard to mildly tuned engines, idea for a street car who want instant spool and power.

Capable of 300rwhp and high torque, very broad power band and very quick spool. Hoping to maybe push 400bhp fly just to show it can be done with the right supporting mods, but this is mainly and everyday turbo kit, ie why i'm trying to get some nice results from a base figure (0.7bar) 1 bar and 1.3 bar which is where most people will have this turbo configured at for everyday, perfectly reliable use.

I plan on getting mine mapped shortly at 1 bar just to see what power it makes. I've already done a base reading with a gen 3, bascailly a filter, exhaust, greddy intercooler and my kit. Standard ecu. at 0.7bar i made 255bhp and 250ft/lbs torque. I know that does sound alot but the car was dyno'd at 225bhp before with the ct20b turbo at 0.9bar. also have to remember 0.7bar is way underneith this turbo's effciency range. and even with low boost it pulls so much harder from low down its like a train. The dyno allbeit from a crappy rolling road was taken to 7200rpm and the turbo didn't peak it just kept going and going, increasing steeply until the operator lifted off. So much more to come. I'm hoping to see 300bhp and equal torque at a mapped 1 bar but i've been surprised so far so might be more. Bruce H in the states on a piggyback was see 270rwhp at 1.2 bar so just have to wait and see.

i want to have these on the shelf ready for next day deliverey by the end of the month if not sooner.

Tim
xxxx
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

How far over 350?

With no proper info I recommend a GT42 :twisted:

:wink:
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

well i'm very confident we'll see 380bhp easliy enough (300rwhp) from the gt2860rs so thats a little over his requested figure.

But good question really. as long as 350+ doesn't mean anything upto 500, lol

Tim
xxxx
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

xxxx wrote:well i'm very confident we'll see 380bhp easliy enough (300rwhp) from the gt2860rs so thats a little over his requested figure.

Oooo that's what i like to hear :twisted: ... make sure you keep us posted [-o<
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

definitly a 300rwhp turbo. Doubt you'll see much after that but remember this is the smallest in my turbo kit range :D

Tim
xxxx
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

How much are we talking for this turbo xxxx?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

both mr2lover and bry have 300whp cars and are putting out 340-350bhp.....not 380bhp, rather large tranny losses arnt they tim?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

Depends what dyno you take it on, remember mark edwards got 270ish rwhp and saw 380bhpfly. You have to remember transmission loses aren't a percentage loss its all relative. A 200bhp car isn't going to lose less going through the same gearbox as a 800bhp car as a percentage loss system suggests.

Heres the link to the thread i've been talking about these
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 019#392019

Please PM me or email me for futher questions i'll do my best to satisfy your quierys.

Tim
xxxx
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

xxxx wrote:Depends what dyno you take it on, remember mark edwards got 270ish rwhp and saw 380bhpfly. You have to remember transmission loses aren't a percentage loss its all relative. A 200bhp car isn't going to lose less going through the same gearbox as a 800bhp car as a percentage loss system suggests.

Heres the link to the thread i've been talking about these
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 019#392019

Please PM me or email me for futher questions i'll do my best to satisfy your quierys.

Tim
xxxx

I think most people realise that EA's figures aren't exactly the most reliable.

Same car goes on and gets 2 totally different figures :? Yeah OK.

almost 100hp seems excessive to say the least pmsl!

Around 50 seems about right.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

xxxx wrote:Depends what dyno you take it on, remember mark edwards got 270ish rwhp and saw 380bhpfly. You have to remember transmission loses aren't a percentage loss its all relative. A 200bhp car isn't going to lose less going through the same gearbox as a 800bhp car as a percentage loss system suggests.

where did i mention the word percentage on this thread?
he got 280-285whp and 360fly......
i know it isnt a percentage, but are you telling me all these NAs that hit 130whp are running 210bhp flywheel cars (if it isnt a percentage)? i dout that....ive had tranny losses of 30 and 60bhp on 2 spearate dynos, and know its crazy, but so is 80bhp losses on a 300whp car (imo).
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

like i said it comes down to what dyno you put it on. You can have 2 different RWHP figures from the same car within days of each other down to different operators load and correction figures.

anyway i've seen 300RWHP from these before. I'll get some more testing results up as and when i get them :)

Tim
xxxx
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

i didn't say you did jim, what i'm saying is this is what alot of people have seen on dyno's people are comparing turbo power to what power they get on a dyno so i have to do the same comparison using there percentage value despite being accurate or not.

the reason i said about the percentage is if you work it out like that the more power you make the more you lose in terms of Tranny loses using this method i just brought it into the conclusion.

i know its not true and so do most people but this is how rolling roads operate.

Tim
xxxx
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not douting your turbo dude....
\:D/ \:D/

just i think there are some crazy ass flywheel figs around.

Return to “Modifications”