steering wheel clicks

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveC1210

steering wheel clicks

Post by SteveC1210 »

Hi there

does this sound familiar to anyone? sometimes when i turn the wheel from one way to the other i get a very slight 'click', but not all the time, its almost as though something is slipping. the weird thing is it doesnt always do it?

its a rev 3 and does have an aftermarket wheel and boss but i have changed the boss and its still the same?

thanks for any help

steve
JeffD

Re: steering wheel clicks

Post by JeffD »

Are you doing this with the ignition on or off? If its off and the key out your most probably activating the steering lock. If its whilst the car is in 'drive mode'as it were ie. key at ignition setting and steering lock deactivated then it sounds like some play somewhere along the steering system. Is it a lot or just a fraction of play?
SteveC1210

Post by SteveC1210 »

Thanks for the reply

it happens when stationary with key in and ignition off and when driving, but like i say, not all the time, which is the confusing part?!?!

its just a little bit, kinda clicks a millimetre or so either way when changing direction.

i have been told i need to have my front drivers side supension rebuilt, its a tein HA coilover, could this affect it?

thanks again
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

I get the exact same thing - but - only when the cabin is warm after
she's been sat in the sun all day :-k

I never get it first thing in the morning but did get it just now after
nipping out at lunch.

It's only a very slight amount of play.?

Mine's a Rev 1 and I've just recently fitted a Rev 3 wheel.

Cheers
Stephen
'2 in Blue
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Why dont you try jacking up both the front wheels and supporting the chassis on axle stands so there is no pressure on the suspenion? You could then see whether this alleviates it or its still there. Personally i Would put my money on there being a little bit of play in your steering rack or the knuckle joints but you need to have a poke round to check properly.
SteveC1210

Post by SteveC1210 »

Thanks jeff, i'll try that

someone else has suggested possibly the knuckle bit too, hopes not cos that can be expensive cant it?

cheers
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Have a look at http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... eering.htm which may give you a few ideas - if nothing else you can familarise yourself with the components. You need to try and determine though whether its in the steering column/wheel, the rack or suspension or the 'joining bits' - could do with a friend to watch an feel it it whilst the other one slowly turns the wheel back and forth.

Return to “Mechanical”