Thinking of coming back to tubby ownership

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Extubby

Thinking of coming back to tubby ownership

Post by Extubby »

Hello

Having sold my rev3 nearly 2 years ago I am now wanting another tubby. I have an Elise 111s and although magical on the twisties it does not match the punch the tubby had.
I am toying with the idea of selling the elise and buying another rev 3. Obviously wanting more power than before, I have been looking at the street brawler kit. Other than that I have no idea about modifications I need. I guess I want about 300bhp at the wheels.

Ideally I would try to find a smokey tubby that was going cheap and I would rebuild the engine and instal the sb kit.

What do I need to do for 300wbhp and how costly is it?
RedWitch

Re: Thinking of coming back to tubby ownership

Post by RedWitch »

For 300bhp....

Induction £100
Decat exhaust £400 - £700
Dastek Unichip + remap £550

Bingo :P
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

That is all that is required to get 300 at the wheels?
lukem

Post by lukem »

i'm interested in this too. what about extra cooling?
Bry

Post by Bry »

I've got 295whp,have a look i my garage for what mods I have
Watch out OZ here I come !!
steve b

Post by steve b »

Extubby wrote:Hello

Having sold my rev3 nearly 2 years ago I am now wanting another tubby. I have an Elise 111s and although magical on the twisties it does not match the punch the tubby had.
I am toying with the idea of selling the elise and buying another rev 3. Obviously wanting more power than before, I have been looking at the street brawler kit. Other than that I have no idea about modifications I need. I guess I want about 300bhp at the wheels.

Ideally I would try to find a smokey tubby that was going cheap and I would rebuild the engine and instal the sb kit.

What do I need to do for 300wbhp and how costly is it?

for a comprimise between elise & tubby how about a turbo mx5, went for a spin in a 260bhp mx5 on saturday and it was hugely fast.
JJ

Post by JJ »

for a comprimise between elise & tubby how about a turbo mx5

For starters, the engines in the wrong place !! :mrgreen:

Good to see you still pottering about on here steve ! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RedWitch wrote:For 300bhp....

Induction £100
Decat exhaust £400 - £700
Dastek Unichip + remap £550

Bingo :P

guys after whp, not flywheel.....

:mrgreen:
steve b

Post by steve b »

JJ wrote:For starters, the engines in the wrong place !! :mrgreen:

Now that is a very valid point :)

JJ wrote:Good to see you still pottering about on here steve ! :D

Got to keep an eye on whats going on :) I may become an owner again at some point, the mx5 is getting seriously fast in the next month or 2 so it may become sensible for me to get an NA SW20 as a run about for the rainy slippery winter months. :D
JJ

Post by JJ »

Eunos is superb this time of year to dry my hair out ! :mrgreen:

You not have problems with traction on yours or are you sticking a big set of hoofs on the rears ??

sensible for me to get an NA SW20 as a run about

4 seats would be sensible !! You're just being greedy or selfish !! :wink: I wont go any further... I'll not be the first with those views !! :whistle:

the mx5 is getting seriously fast in the next month or 2

Trading it in for a TVR like ??!!! :mrgreen:
steve b

Post by steve b »

JJ wrote:Eunos is superb this time of year to dry my hair out ! :mrgreen:

Dry hair, my scalp was burnt raw after 2 hours sat on the m25 on saturday :(

JJ wrote:You not have problems with traction on yours or are you sticking a big set of hoofs on the rears ??

Traction maybe bit of an issue once the install is complete, will have to be careful hitting 2nd... 205's on the back, test car on saturday did a bit of a squirm hitting 2nd in the bone dry in a straight line,...does have a nice torsen LSD though so not all the powers lost.

JJ wrote:
4 seats would be sensible !! You're just being greedy or selfish !! :wink: I wont go any further... I'll not be the first with those views !! :whistle:

Otherhalfs car has 4 seats :mrgreen:

JJ wrote:Trading it in for a TVR like ??!!! :mrgreen:

I was considering this until last week, been liking the idea of a chimera alot lately :) But a GT28 and full standalone system now has my name on it :mrgreen:

All seriousness, regarding this post, returning to tubby ownership was also something that was a reoccuring theme for me. If I was to do it, i'd get the best rev3 could find and then get a GT28 or GT30 (there was the chap from Budapest selling the hardware for this setup) on the car with a decent standalone and a PWR charge cooler, think you'd be able to run alot of power on stock internals with a nice cool charge with zero worrys and the BB turbos spool so quickly.
JJ

Post by JJ »

All seriousness, regarding this post, returning to tubby ownership was also something that was a reoccuring theme for me.

I've been tempted by the fruit of another tree for quite a bit... but in my eyes.. the MR2 turbo is such good value for the performance it gives... even one of my friends has just bought a dream car... Ferrari 355 Berlinetta .. and what a fantastic car.. and one of my friends with a tweeked rev 3 had a little tustle with it the other day... and there was nothing in them !!

Ferrari 355 £44k
Mr2 Turbo £3k

Chimaera 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 - All of them are slower on acceleration than a tweeked rev 3 .. I'm afraid the old skool Rover V8 has a lot of grunt, but the gearing lets it down as well as the old push rod technology. Still sounding far superior to the new ones. :D
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

I had a 4.0 Chim and it was not as fast as the rev 3 I had. It started to slow at 110 where the tubby was 135.
Mx5 just is not the same.
Its either a tubby or 944 turbo.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Its either a tubby or 944 turbo.

Friend had one of these and they are sooo well balanced, but they're also quite heavy and simply havent got the get up and go like the MR2 turbos. Sure I'm sounding biased, but I used to have a tustle with his many a time and the MR2 would walk it in performance.

Not many things can match the grace, pace and price of these little japanese things ! O:)
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

In the risk of sounding stupid. Could I not just buy another rev 3 and buy the street brawler turbo kit and that alone give me a load of bhp.

I have also heard a lot about the ST205 cc. If this alone was added to a rev 3 what increase in bhp could you expect?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

you cant put on a big turbo and expect the car run safely......
youll need something to control your fueling, not to mention you would probably need fueling upgrades to handle a turbo like that....on top of a free flowing exhaust, and a ic or cc......
steve b

Post by steve b »

Extubby wrote:
Mx5 just is not the same.

not a high top end car and maybe a little less masculine than other mentioned if thats the sort of thing to bother you but, short ratio box, 960Kg and 260bhp/238lbs is funny fast acceleration, about the same as a 350bhp MR2. \:D/

Return to “Modifications”