I want..... brand new BEAMS VVti engine.... drool....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jrleech

I want..... brand new BEAMS VVti engine.... drool....

Post by jrleech »

This is serious drool material.... brand new crate engine Dual VVti BEAMS, 210ps... can't afford but tempted to just buy it and put it in my living room =P~

Click here
CosmosblueMR2

Re: I want..... brand new BEAMS VVti engine.... drool....

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Suprised Rogue haven't had that off their neighbours :-k :wink:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Thyat would go lovely in a stripped out elise :D
M5
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

V8Killer wrote:Thyat would go lovely in a stripped out elise :D

That was exactly my thinking behind doing a beams conversion on my rev1 - stick it in there for a couple of years get my no claims up - wait for the price of the elise to come down a bit and combine the two at a later date - still hanging on to the idea for the future

heres a link to a guy in hong kong selling a full beams clip for mega money - more than is sensible if you ask me but there you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

$5799 currently exchanges to £2930.. thats just a smidge cheaper than £4700 if you ask me.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

cantfindausername wrote:$5799 currently exchanges to £2930.. thats just a smidge cheaper than £4700 if you ask me.

Reason i say more than is sensible is that according to ebay it works out at £3,148.21 then he wants another £850 shipping & on top of that you have to pay import tax etc roughly speaking you arent going to have a whole lot of change from five grand if those figures are correct. Obvious though if i had five grand lying round going spare id snatch the guys arm off! :)
cantfindausername

vat etc isn't applicable on used parts. :D
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

really?! jesus i never knew that - so i couldve bought the engine after all!

oh well ill have to make do with my rev5 for now i was under the impression that id get stung by customs for importing the engine - i seriously considered going for this after missing out on the beams clip at rogue but figured it would be way to expensive to bring it in to the country.

At least i know for next time. although im thinking of just hanging on two years and simply importing a beams after the ten year law thing has passed

then again i might just buy a Camry and have word with mr woods
:lol:
cantfindausername

Yeah I hear that mate ;) woods the word :D
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

cantfindausername wrote:Yeah I hear that mate ;) woods the word :D

exactly - i was pretty close to paying just over two grand for a beams clip from rogue which i was happy to pay but just missed out. Since then ive learned that you can buy an entire camry for that and have more torque and have more horsepower - its definitely the way forward!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

[quote="magic_alex]exactly - i was pretty close to paying just over two grand for a beams clip from rogue which i was happy to pay but just missed out. Since then ive learned that you can buy an entire camry for that and have more torque and have more horsepower - its definitely the way forward![/quote]

Ah-hah! I've been trying to find your contact details for the last couple of weeks and I couldn't remember your IMOC handle...

The BEAMS engine that we discussed came good and should be delivered to me this week! If you're still interested, get in touch!

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Better value to just do a v6 swap :?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Al-sw20 wrote:Better value to just do a v6 swap :?

Swings and roundabouts at this level... I'm not looking to poach a sale, but I did promise magic_alex I'd source a BEAMS VVTi engine for him, arranged to get it here and then promptly couldn't find his contact details!

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Oh no Patrick im gutted!

I assumed that i didnt hear off you cos no beams engines were available - ive only gone & blown the majority of my budget on a rev5
:(
Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

Just out of intrest Patrick how much will you be selling that beams clip for? :-k
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Gaz! wrote:Just out of intrest Patrick how much will you be selling that beams clip for? :-k

its a much better price than the guy in Hong Kongs asking!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

magic_alex wrote:
Gaz! wrote:Just out of intrest Patrick how much will you be selling that beams clip for? :-k

its a much better price than the guy in Hong Kongs asking!

IMOC-UK rules forbid me posting prices in this section of the forum, so you can either drop me a line at the office or we can discuss by PM. Alex gets first refusal though (just in case he finds some money down the back of the sofa!).

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
Romanv

Post by Romanv »

It's entirely misleading to say that the altezza engine will work in an SW20.

for starters, look at that intake manifold.... It's going to be sticking into your boot.

I got a redtop with all ancilliaries, loom, ecu, etc with 30,000kms on it for approx 400 pounds.

Anyone here who is *seriously* considering getting a beams motor, I suggest looking at getting the motor from the Caldina GT, it is identical to the redtop, except it makes 190hp instead of 200, due to 10.5:1 compression instead of 11:1.

However it would be considerably cheaper than a 'redtop', and given the price difference, you could buy some redtop pistons+rings, some red paint for the intake manifold and rocker cover, and you're sorted. :D

These engines are *really* common here, and there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of demand for them.

The only tricky bits I can see will be that the wiring wont be as 'plug and play' as an MR2 half cut, and since all of these engines came out automatic, I'm not sure what's involved in fooling the ECU into running well with a manual gearbox.

If I was after another beams engine (Two's enough *cough*) I'd definitely get a caldina one, best bang for buck by far.
They've still got heaps of potential, they still have all of the redtop goodies.
VVTI, coil pack ignition, sodium filled valves, oil squirters, reinforced engine block, etc. etc.

BTW regarding the V6 vs Beams debate...

A 200hp beams motor in an SW20 is faster than a 200hp V6 in an SW20.

Why? Because the 3S is lighter, and it revs higher.
My car with a beams motor in weighs 1025kgs with an empty tank of gas.

A 3VZFE makes max torque at something like 4000rpm, and max hp at 5800rpm, and only revs to 6200 or so IIRC.

I dunno about you guys, but I like to rev the bejeezus out of my car. :D

If you're running the turbo gearbox, turbo hubs, axles etc, (Which you'd want to do, for more appropriate gearing for the V6) your probably going to weigh in at *at least* 1100-1200kgs... Apparently a V6 swap weighs about as much as a standard turbo.

A beams motor is designed for high rpm performance, and has all of the goodies to suit.

Modding a V6 basically consists of making it breath better up until 6000rpm, as it's futile attempting to raise the powerband any higher.

In saying all of this I am incredibly biased. :D

I still think the V6 swap is cool, especially when boosted, but it's not my cup of tea. And it isnt as easy/cheap as people make it out to be.

Although in saying this, it's hardly worth 5000 pounds or something rediculous for a beams swap either.
Last edited by Romanv on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

What kinda torque does the beams engine put out?
Romanv

Post by Romanv »

redtop = 152 foot pounds.
3VZFE = 200 foot pounds

BTW that's a very cool car you've got there MRV6. 8)
Last edited by Romanv on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”