MK1 v MK2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Monty

MK1 v MK2

Post by Monty »

What do you think I should buy, a 1 or 2?

In 1998 I owned a 1989 G reg MK1 TBar, a superb car which I loved to bits. However, a mixture of inexperience (heavy right foot) and a wet road on a November morning (when late for work) soon bought the relationship to an abrupt end!!!

When going through some old photos last week I found some lovely images of my red rocket (it nearly bought a tear to my eye)! So, seven years later it is time to try again!

I have about £4500 to spend but can't decide whether to go with what I know (and probably get a nice example) or go for an early MK2. I heard some horror strories about the first MK2's and not keen on getting an import that has been thrashed.

What do you think? :?
craig

Re: MK1 v MK2

Post by craig »

Que the MK1 Vs MK2 debate :roll:

:lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Monty wrote:What do you think I should buy, a 1 or 2?

In 1998 I owned a 1989 G reg MK1 TBar, a superb car which I loved to bits. However, a mixture of inexperience (heavy right foot) and a wet road on a November morning (when late for work) soon bought the relationship to an abrupt end!!!

When going through some old photos last week I found some lovely images of my red rocket (it nearly bought a tear to my eye)! So, seven years later it is time to try again!

I have about £4500 to spend but can't decide whether to go with what I know (and probably get a nice example) or go for an early MK2. I heard some horror strories about the first MK2's and not keen on getting an import that has been thrashed.

In all seriousness mate, if you fancy another MK1 then go for it!!

If it were me then I would invest in a rev 3 turbo with T-roof :wink:
Monty

Post by Monty »

When was the last one?
I did a search but nothing obvious stood out?

Don't want to waste everyones time if it is in there somewhere!!

Monty
craig

Post by craig »

Monty wrote:When was the last one?
I did a search but nothing obvious stood out?

Don't want to waste everyones time if it is in there somewhere!!

Monty

No dude, I was just having a laugh!!! You aren't wasting anyones time! Were all here to help each other!! :wink:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

RedMR² wrote:

In all seriousness mate, if you fancy another MK1 then go for it!!

If it were me then I would invest in a rev 3 turbo with T-roof :wink:

tbh, I would too. For £4,500 you should get a gooden!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I've had lots of MK1s and have just finished (well nearly) restoring an early car (ie the black bumper 85-86model). I'll admit i'm a bit of a die-hard MK1 fan and i've driven MK2s also.

No offence at all to MK2 owners but for me it isn't an improved MK1, its a totally different car in feel and the way it drives. That feeling of the car being reactive, alive, tactile is something that seems to be lost for me in the MK2.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you really want out of the car.

MK1=

Fun handling
tactile, lots of feedback
drivers car
great for your favourite B road

MK2=

more practical than MK1
faster (in turbo guise)
makes a much more comfortable road car
more refined
Great for motorways or trans-euro road trips

Its upto you of course. Test drive some MK1s and MK2s and make your choice.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Very fair post there Lauren.

If you're as shallow as me, you'll buy the mk2 cos its sex on legs!! (well wheels......!)

:D
adamh

Post by adamh »

my tuppence...

my mk1 is of the road and has been for 6month since moving 90 miles and deciding to pull it off the road pending petrol costs (now do 350mile a week for work), so its off the road until i get a garage to keep it in and work on it (traffic wardens are demons in brighton).. i bought a diesel for the time being, and have a turbo conversion for the mk1 on the back burner. Felt i had to explain!.. heres the feeling,.. i see mk1's and mk2's and mk3's the mk1 in my opinion is the best looking model. its pretty plain by comparison, but a true classic, every time i see a mk1 driving around brighton it hurts bad!, i want mine back on the road a.s.a.p like nothing else, its a unique indivdual rocket. and has far more character than the curvy cars of today.
I'm a bit biased as ive never drove a mk2, but i never will, i love the mk1 too much. mac sheavils is selling nice examples of the mk1, but you would be hard pushed to find a nice normally aspirated Mk1 without doing some work of some kind, and then if your going to pay that much.. 4.5k!,, you really should get a little more power for your money, contrary to that... the last thing your going to want is a mk2 driver whizzing past you<<--- did i say that?? :) its a toughie, theres my vote

i dont know if its still for sale.. www.mr2mk1club.com, but have a look at this beauty, thats one good looking little car, smart, sophisticated, quick as you need, classic!.. if i had 4.5k??!.. its still tough, maybe if the miles were a little lower or the price definately would.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

have to say actually, *gulp*, that's a damn good looking motor.......

:twisted:
Last edited by Leon. on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

adamh wrote:my tuppence...

my mk1 is of the road and has been for 6month since moving 90 miles and deciding to pull it off the road pending petrol costs (now do 350mile a week for work), so its off the road until i get a garage to keep it in and work on it (traffic wardens are demons in brighton).. i bought a diesel for the time being, and have a turbo conversion for the mk1 on the back burner. Felt i had to explain!.. heres the feeling,.. i see mk1's and mk2's and mk3's the mk1 in my opinion is the best looking model. its pretty plain by comparison, but a true classic, every time i see a mk1 driving around brighton it hurts bad!, i want mine back on the road a.s.a.p like nothing else, its a unique indivdual rocket. and has far more character than the curvy cars of today.
I'm a bit biased as ive never drove a mk2, but i never will, i love the mk1 too much. mac sheavils is selling nice examples of the mk1, but you would be hard pushed to find a nice normally aspirated Mk1 without doing some work of some kind, and then if your going to pay that much.. 4.5k!,, you really should get a little more power for your money, contrary to that... the last thing your going to want is a mk2 driver whizzing past you<<--- did i say that?? :) its a toughie, theres my vote

Mind you in saying that i bought an 86 car and have restored it. Total cost £1210 so far and all the bodywork is done. Its not a concours car but its easily worth a fair amount more than its cost me.

What i'm saying is there are plenty of MK1s that are mechanically sound out there but with rough bodywork. So its not too bad if you buy the car relatively cheaply and invest say £800ish (this is what it cost me) to have it repaired and hey presto a nice clean MK1 for not a lot of money. 4.5K is way over what you need to pay to get a good condition MK1, but these days any MK1 that is in good condition will have had some work done on it, so you are looking at 1.5K upwards for a reasonable condition car and 2Kish for one that is VGC. SCs cost more obviously. So you can get value for money if you are clever about how you do it.
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
adamh wrote:my tuppence...

Mind you in saying that i bought an 86 car and have restored it. Total cost £1210 so far and all the bodywork is done. Its not a concours car but its easily worth a fair amount more than its cost me.

What i'm saying is there are plenty of MK1s that are mechanically sound out there but with rough bodywork. So its not too bad if you buy the car relatively cheaply and invest say £800ish (this is what it cost me) to have it repaired and hey presto a nice clean MK1 for not a lot of money. 4.5K is way over what you need to pay to get a good condition MK1, but these days any MK1 that is in good condition will have had some work done on it, so you are looking at 1.5K upwards for a reasonable condition car and 2Kish for one that is VGC. SCs cost more obviously. So you can get value for money if you are clever about how you do it.

I would love a MK1 to have a turbo transplant done to! :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedMR² wrote:

It definately has some appeal!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

adamh wrote:
i dont know if its still for sale.. www.mr2mk1club.com, but have a look at this beauty, thats one good looking little car, smart, sophisticated, quick as you need, classic!.. if i had 4.5k??!.. its still tough, maybe if the miles were a little lower or the price definately would.

Isn't it an auto though? 5K for an auto? no way he's on drugs!
Last edited by Lauren on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Damn right it does!! I would have loved to drive Paul Woods....needed some spare jeans tho! :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
adamh wrote:

Isn't it an auto though? 4.5K for an auto? no way.

That is pretty damn steep!!!! :shock:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

it is an auto, yeh, just checked it out!

Why does it look different to normal, is it just the colour??

8)
adamh

Post by adamh »

yah, appreciate that lauren, i wouldnt pay 4.5 for a n/a or s.c!.. just thinking for 4.5.. if that was the budget,.. you should really get a wee more power for your money. if i only had 1/2k to spend, there would be no question. 3k - id go SC, macs motor is/was a wee expensive for 65k!.. but its a beauty aint it, just like your old sc!.

but then if slower comfort and 2l motorway cruising is more in need, it'd have to be the big brother. but I'd still have a mk1 in the garage for real driving!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedMR² wrote:
Lauren wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Damn right it does!! I would have loved to drive Paul Woods....needed some spare jeans tho! :lol:

Paul was going to let me have a go on track in his one as i was interested to see how it handled etc. Unfortunately our paths never crossed since then. Would have loved to have a go though.
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Paul was going to let me have a go on track in his one as i was interested to see how it handled etc. Unfortunately our paths never crossed since then. Would have loved to have a go though.

shame :(

bet it was a right rocket :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”