border wings reply on thread only if interested please

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cjones2

Re: border wings reply on thread only if interested please

Post by cjones2 »

1, murmr2 (obviously carbon or finrelgass?)
2, cjones2 (carbon)
3, Urban (possibly interested, carbon)
4, msherry21 (????????????????????)
5, axisofunity (carbon)
6, mr2daz (carbon)
7, slipping clutch (carbon as i meet him this weekend)
8, the-dog (carbon)
9, Mikejc (????????????????????)
10, Spittinflames (????????????????????)
11, Gregg Harvey (??????????????????)
12, jonb- (carbon)
13, KrisB (carbon)
14,DARRYN (fibreglass or Carbon but going to be painted anyway)
15, V8killer (carbon)
16, Navz_s (carbon)
markmr2turbogt

Post by markmr2turbogt »

carbon please
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

1, murmr2 (obviously carbon or finrelgass?)
2, cjones2 (carbon)
3, Urban (possibly interested, carbon)
4, msherry21 (????????????????????)
5, axisofunity (carbon)
6, mr2daz (carbon)
7, slipping clutch (carbon as i meet him this weekend)
8, the-dog (carbon)
9, Mikejc (????????????????????)
10, Spittinflames (????????????????????)
11, Gregg Harvey (??????????????????)
12, jonb- (carbon)
13, KrisB (carbon)
14,DARRYN (fibreglass or Carbon but going to be painted anyway)
15, V8killer (carbon)
16, Navz_s (carbon)
17, markmr2turbogt (carbon)
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

prices i have posted are apprently for fibreglass only not carbon.. Im waiting to hear back for the price in carbon fibre?

Ill keep you guys posted..

We still need to get hold of the original border front wings (vented and wider) so extra cost on top may be required.

murmr2 ------- any news on us sourcing these., any new from your possible carbon fibre company?
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

update cheapest quote i can now get for good quality is around 500 - 600 for a pair of these wings in carbon fibre.

If required in fibreglass then other quote off 190.00 + vat still stands
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Well, that's me out, thanks for the wasted time.

Might as well buy them from Border direct using someone like Harry who could probably negotiate a cheaper deal.

[-X
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

thanks cool mate as you can appreciate the border original wings are not in carbon fibre tho..

If you wanted a fibreglass wing (eg exactly the same as the border wings) then 200+vat is still the right price

What can i say carbon is expensive hence the £400+ bonnets etc..
markmr2turbogt

Post by markmr2turbogt »

Oh well....count me out too, thought £180 for the carbon ones sounded too good to be true. :(
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

At least i was right :cry: :cry: :cry:
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

am still trying to get quotes.
?Have 2 companies waiting to get back to me and will source the wings myself

What can i say companies just cant read properly when it comes to quotations... (pi** take really)

V8 killer is also going to try his contact so will keep you all posted

TBh i want these weings in carbon fibre and i dont care how much it costs me so there will be some avaikable soon even if i have to pay for the mould
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I would pay £400 or so for a pair, but well, not more. I know that's kinda cheap... But *shrug*

If a bonnet can be £350 and my Engine lid was £300 then two small wings can be £350 as well :|
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Price is too high for the carbon...... thats me out too.... Dont want fiberglass wings.... Carbon or nothing .... so unless the price comes down a lot im out
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

couldnt agree more with you guys
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Guys...

you have to remember a border hood can be manufactured with single sheets of carbon fibre. There isn't much moulding involved. Whereas on a wing theres a lot more bends and curvatures, lips etc etc to take care off. And then theres the vents.

I think £400 for a pair of carbon fibre border wings is a very fair price, anything above and its a bit much. I've contacted my CF guy and he's more then willing to do any part as long as he has the original.

By the way, does anyone know how much wider the border wings are?

Thanks
M5
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

V8Killer wrote:Guys...

you have to remember a border hood can be manufactured with single sheets of carbon fibre. There isn't much moulding involved. Whereas on a wing theres a lot more bends and curvatures, lips etc etc to take care off. And then theres the vents.

I think £400 for a pair of carbon fibre border wings is a very fair price, anything above and its a bit much. I've contacted my CF guy and he's more then willing to do any part as long as he has the original.

Thanks

A good point well made my friend =D> Bloody hell what's up with you lot your like a bunch of old women sometimes :lol: :wink:

Like said above c/f doesn't come cheap to start with, once you start adding angles galore into the equation you'll find the price will rocket up. You also have to allow for the fact that no one else makes these which makes them rare which in turn = extra cash! :(

So come on you lot stop giving the organizer of this group buy such a hard time and get behind him for taking the time to sort us all out some highly sort after and rare items. Hat's off to you good Sir =D>

Mikejc
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Just out of curoiosity does anyone know how much original border wings are? If its reasonable, i am willing to purchase them to make this happen, but i'll need you guys to back me up all the way.

Heres some link on CF process:

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/3

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1662

I seen an autoclave when my oldman was working at Rolls Royce (aero section) as a materials technologist. Its not cheap to run one of those things.

Muhsin
M5
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Fair point on the cost, but you've got to consider that it's not always worth paying top dollar for something just to have it first.

Point in hand my triple vented Carbon Fibre (ace weave) Engine lid in Border style.

Curved, folded, raised, lots of material, vented and with mounting points and pre-drilled for the sensors.... £320 from a trader.

That's why I can't match up £500 or £600 for two small wings that are going to be thinner, use less material :|

*shrug*

As I said if it was £350 or so? Maybe with a bit added onto the group buy for sourcing the originals?

Still, I'm working on a pair of the originals for £250... So you see?
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Mikejc wrote:
V8Killer wrote:Guys...

Thanks

A good point well made my friend =D> Bloody hell what's up with you lot your like a bunch of old women sometimes :lol: :wink:

Like said above c/f doesn't come cheap to start with, once you start adding angles galore into the equation you'll find the price will rocket up. You also have to allow for the fact that no one else makes these which makes them rare which in turn = extra cash! :(

So come on you lot stop giving the organizer of this group buy such a hard time and get behind him for taking the time to sort us all out some highly sort after and rare items. Hat's off to you good Sir =D>

Mikejc

Ditto. =D>

I think we're gonna need a new list now though.

I'm staying in for some fibreglass ones depending on the final cost of cf ones and whether i'm still alive come payment time (you never know your luck 8-[ ).
“There’s class warfare all right, but it’s my class, the rich class that’s making war, and we’re winning.” Warren Buffett
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

v8 killer - the originals from mtte are 690.00 delivered (imported from japan)

The fibreglass quote i got was repli kit who do the vented engine lids and border bonnets but they said they wont do wings in carbon fibre full stop. (after he gave me this 180 - 200 quote - how irritating)

Im also doing a group buy like this for the civic type r wings (also wanting these made up in carbon fibre)

Thanks for the support i really thought this would be a good idea as i cant find carbon fibre wings anywhere except for the states and they work out (for standard wings no vented no wider etc..) at arounf £700+ delivered etc..

Not sure how much wider the border wings are but know they have ventes in the top and aropund the indicator area as shown in pics previously.

Latest quote ive had was £400 for a pair if 20 people were buying (but obviously extra may be required to buy the 690 original wings as these will be no good after the moulding process)
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

I think we need to get as many people as we can who are genuinely interested in this item (whether carbon fibre or fibreglass) and then split the cost of the wings between us.

Can someone start a new thread with definate names. May sound harsh, but we can't have any ummming and ahhhhing to be honest. If in then in, if not then no! Simple as that!

On another note, I believe the border wings cost £490, which means Jase is charging £200 for shipping. Thats totally ridiculous! I'd rather order straight from takakaira who are reasonable with shipping!
M5

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”