PLEASE HELP!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DaveMPB

PLEASE HELP!

Post by DaveMPB »

Need some help with this one people! sorry it long but please read!!

Ok, I took my car to my machanic with a water leak. The pipe with the leak was in a really hard place to get to and said they had to bits of the engine apart to do it so i thought it a good idea to sort some other stuff out while why were at it, so the follow was done to my car:

Water pipe replaced
Rev3 recon gearbox LSD with drive shaft
Helix clutch kit
CAM BELT

They took the engine out to do this work, then when they put it all back togther the engine management light has come on all the time, it runs like sh*t, it pinks, no boost what so ever! They got an ecu reading and it kept saying the knock sensor. They checked the "everything" and it was fine, so they said the knock sensor was knackered so they have replaced that and still the same!!

I took it to my mate for a second opinion, he said the cam belt had to much slack is probably causing the timing to go out. I looked at the belt and it was quite loose!! So i took it back and told him what my other friend said. He has spent the whole day on it today and says the timing belt is fine and timing in general and is running out of idea as to what the problem is.

PLEASE HELP and ideas appreciated

Dave
Turbo power baby!!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Post by tonigmr2 »

What do you mean by slack?
That doesn't sound right at all...
T
DaveMPB

Post by DaveMPB »

theres a bit of play in the belt between the top 2 pullies, my machanic clames it fine and tightens up when the engine is turning over and wouldn't be the cause of my problem.
Turbo power baby!!
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Did you get the tensioners changed while you were getting the rest done? Usually its best to change these so that it keeps the belt taught, they are set to a certain tension as far as i know. It shouldn't matter whether the engine is running or not. Should always be taught otherwise when you turn the starter the belt would jump.

Scott =op
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Agreed, there shouldn't be any slack at any point, possibly a hydraulic tensioner issue. Probably incompetence.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

You mean i actually got something right Mark? :shock:

Go and kick some ass mate

Scott =op
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Moved to mechanical as you'll get a better response.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
DaveMPB

Post by DaveMPB »

He said the tensioner is ok, so i only had the belt done. Spoke to him again today and he still claims its fine. I've made such a fuss about it to him but he's sure its not that.

I might just let him do this dinostic test, if he finds the problem then great if not i think i might take it off him
Turbo power baby!!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Did he replace the tensioner then?
If not, how does he know its fine?
T
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

hi
just to add my two penenth. when my tensioner was on its way out my belt made a whirring noise that could be heard quite distinctly.

i bought a tensioner and pully but never got round to using it as i sold car.

so on another note i do have one unused in a wrapper you can purchase for £50 if you like. can have it in the post asap.

paul.
DaveMPB

Post by DaveMPB »

Thanks for you comments guys.

The problem is now sorted to my delight. This is the text i just got for my machanic:

"the looms are prone to getting brittle and losing connection. So just by moving the loom you can get problems. Have hard wired the knock sensor to the ECU."

Paulmann, i should get get my car back soon, im gonna get my other friend to check the timing belt again and if the other guy hasn't already sorted the "slack issue" i will have that tensioner and pully. Will let you know later in the week.
Turbo power baby!!

Return to “Mechanical”