I'm still here! day pics

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

reanimation

I'm still here! day pics

Post by reanimation »

Hi all, not been on here much recently since the awesome trackday. nothing personal, and i'm not still dizzy! work pc wont let me log on to random sites, this one included and i've been busy moving house!

Absolutely nowt done since we got it going except checking coolant in -10 March and pulling off the side skirt to check the rust.

I had a mad idea about MOTing it in 'Ratlook' for a fun runabout for time being, while i save for trick bits to finish the sierra, but i think i'm dreaming it needs mucho welding probably! so next trackday will probably see me in the sierra with a bodgit cheapo exhaust (Thanks for making me welcome at anglesey, looking forward to the next (whenever that is?)

ldavies83

Re: I'm still here! day pics

Post by ldavies83 »

and yet I'm still jellous of your free car! :lol:

Seriously good to seeya Mark hope I didnt scare you too much! ;)

Also I'd like to apologise for my absence on the board aswell, I have a small annoucement that will come up in due course (good news dont worry!), but needless to say its been absolutely manic in wooly Wales these last few weeks!
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Hi mate. wow sounds serious, :?

Yeah, also i dont have much wisdom to offer as i'm still learning about these things. hope to strip out the mouldy interior and bodykit off soon so i know what i'm up against #-o
HT

Post by HT »

Reanimation a few photos to spur you on with your resto project (theres always someone worse off!) I was gonna runaround in mine, until I realised it was just not going to pass it mot :( ....

...It got better though! :)

All work was done over three years ago, and its still around now. Yours looks in much better shape to start with and it was free :o Four years ago I shelled out £400 for the pile of rust you see above #-o So its well worth doing.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Thanks for sharing that, you done a great job, and another saved from the grave. =D>
That rust and bodywork always looks worse when its all damp. Doesnt help matters when it dries though.

i went 125 miles to view mine and paid £125 to have it fetched back. Its not as bad as i expected. I got big plans but no money! [-o<

My ambition is to bring it to a trackday or meet in patched up form mid 2007 - we'll see! :lol:
Once its moved from my dads i can strip it in the dry garage.
HT

Post by HT »

reanimation wrote:Thanks for sharing that, you done a great job, and another saved from the grave. =D>
That rust and bodywork always looks worse when its all damp. Doesnt help matters when it dries though.

i went 125 miles to view mine and paid £125 to have it fetched back. Its not as bad as i expected. I got big plans but no money! [-o<

My ambition is to bring it to a trackday or meet in patched up form mid 2007 - we'll see! :lol:
Once its moved from my dads i can strip it in the dry garage.

As long as you enjoy mr2's thats all that counts, and the best way is to get driving it asap. I got the structural stuff done on mine and drove around for a further 18 months in tri-tone white over grey/ white /and rust!! not to mention lashings of tank tape holding the front wings together!! Good luck
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Its taken me a long time to learn that. i've had long term projects. now a modest looking 3dr sierra that 95% there and this. rather than some unfinished custom i would never finish. I wanna patch this up and give it some welly. then we'll see about customising :) 8) :) 8) :lol:
HT

Post by HT »

reanimation wrote:Its taken me a long time to learn that. i've had long term projects. now a modest looking 3dr sierra that 95% there and this. rather than some unfinished custom i would never finish. I wanna patch this up and give it some welly. then we'll see about customising :) 8) :) 8) :lol:

Yep the purpose is definately to enjoy - I had great fun flying past beemer's in my (then) tatty mk1 over the snake pass on my way to uni - so much so that when I finally had new front wings and paint the drivetrain was sha@@ed!! :roll:
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Thats the spirit, and extra marks for upsetting bimmer drivers, sorry lauren! :lol: Also the more bits broken, the more rationalised upgrades are! ;)

Keep up the good work

BTW did you do all the work yourself. I own a mig welder, but never used it!
HT

Post by HT »

reanimation wrote:Thats the spirit, and extra marks for upsetting bimmer drivers, sorry lauren! :lol: Also the more bits broken, the more rationalised upgrades are! ;)

Keep up the good work

BTW did you do all the work yourself. I own a mig welder, but never used it!

No I cant weld - its one of those things I've mean't to learn though, but just realised it was well beyond a beginner as a first project :( Fortunately an ex north sea oil welder revived the bodyshell, and it was a real welding marathon and a half :) I mean now they break easily repairable examples knowing that a greater return can be yielded. :shock:

One thing I would recommend is to get any structural stuff dealt with underneath, and rather than go for the jdg panels rear arch repair sections - cutout and weld up the rear arches and then fit eurosport arches which are in grp as it can cost a load to redo arches in metal :wink: Its also worth asking any fellow imoc'ers if there handy with a mig, when the time comes - there seems to be a fair few around your area.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”