Hi Spec Brake conversions anyone?

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Re: Hi Spec Brake conversions anyone?

Post by jonb- »

cantfindausername wrote:Too right mate. The more we can get the better. I wonder who else does big brake kits for the MR2.

Might be worth contacting some others and starting off a discount war so to speak :D

You could go and fit almost any caliper whether brembo, ap etc, it's all about the bracket that mounts the caliper to the hub.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Yeah I know. I have thought about doing my own kit before. but figured I should get the engine done first. Got too many things to make for that without having to do the brakes as well. :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

I'm VERY interested in a set of fronts.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Could the guys n girls who are interested please PM me with email addresses so I can send them an enquiry form to fill out, colour size etc.

It doesn't hold you to anything, just so that I can get an idea of what were looking at :D

Cheers
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

i'd be interested in a set of fronts..
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

front and rear may be depend on price, and any data on stopping distance ?
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

interested in monster 6 front kit and 4 pot rear kit
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

No data on an MR2 but the new issue of J-Tuner has their mitsi colt running on billet 4's on the front, and i quote....

"On average, when braking from 60mph, the Hi-spec front brakes reduced the stopping time by more than 3 seconds and a potentially life-saving 26m compared to the standard equipmen,....."

Thats a hell of a difference!!!!

I still have brochures and price lists if people need them.

Glen..
Adam...

Recieved forms-thanks
EarL

Post by EarL »

Don't forget guys, the MR2 relies on a balanced braking system as the car is mid engined. Putting large front brakes on and leaving the rears standard will unsettle the car in hard braking situations.

It's an expensive option, but I'd recommend going for the full kit if you can. :wink:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Sorry for the long post but there seems to have been a bit of a hiccup on the rear conversions boys n girls!

Another member has kindly informed me that they have ordered a rear converion aprox one month ago, and Hi-Spec are only now telling him that the rear conversion requires quite a lot of jiggery pokery with cables to get the handbrake to work properly!!!

Apparently they have only carried out one previous converion for the MR2!!! And this involves using two sets of acbles and different connectors etc. I will find out whats going on but untill I do Im not willing to place any orders against a rear kit! I hope people understand, I just dont want everyone to get shiney new bits and find they have to incur a large fitting/modification cost on top without knowing exactly involved!

Regards

Matt
cantfindausername

I'm gonna hold of sending you the order form as I will only be upgrading the brakes if I can upgrade the rears with the fronts.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
cjones2

Post by cjones2 »

exactly the same here to.. mainly interested in the rears but will buy front to go with it..
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Thats fine guys, its a bit of a worry! I will get around to calling them soon!
cantfindausername

I might pop up and see them one weekend as they're only up by dartford.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

Hi,

I'd be interested in this (front and rear) but I'd need the smallest size as I intend to keep the standard 15" wheels.

Also a bit concerned about the handbrake issue and also as with any group buy they tend to drag on a bit.....

Nik
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Has this died on its @rse then?
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

^^ What he said
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Hi guys sorry I've been lax with this, been very busy bunny trying to sort my bodywork out, here's the info sent to me re the rear conversion from another member. I think i may see what options we have with other companies also, I know Brembo do a kit so ill have a look...

Hi Matt,

Got some more news for you regarding HiSpec, the REAR calipers need a lot of fabrication to get them on.

Basically the guy i spoke to said they/you will need to remove the cable entirely and it needs to be lengthened and have a different connector attached to the end in order to get the handbrake caliper attached.

They use a company called Speedy Cables, so you would need to either know the length of the standard one and the new length requried and the correct end attachment, or send your away to get modified (lengthened i think?)

they said the have done this once before to Peter Foster(?) (IMOC member, he posted in your thread) and they ended up butchering 2 sets of cables to get it to work.

I was SO pi$$ed when they told me this, coz i ordered a month ago and NOBODY mentioned this until i happened to get one of the designers/fitters on the phone! Short answer iv cancelled my order coz its the rears that i NEED. There front conversion is bolt on though apparently.

I just thought you might want to knwo this otherwise if people are ordering front and rear conversion there goin to come back to you and i dont wanna see another IMOCer gettin messed around by these guys. If you got a contact there i suggest you phone them and get an exact answer.

Not tryin to p1$$ on your chips but thought you should know the outcome i had yesterday!

:(
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Is this dead? I've a sticky front caliper again and can't be bothered to rebuild...
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Hi Jonb - From the people that have PM'd me with these conversions it seems like these rear kits are totally untested, and I wouldn't like to invest that much cash in something that has little or no R&D! I really dont want unhappy IMOC'ers.

However -as far as im aware the front kits are a lot more straight forward and they sell a lot of these. If anyone wants to take over the organising of this then feel free, the deal wasn't exclusive to me anyone who arranges it can get the discount, but i wanted front and rear so, i wont be taking part. The guys at Hi-Spec are friendly so give them a call.

Appologies for any hassle caused but i dont feel right putting anyone's money against such a product, knowing that it will almost certainly cause a lot of hassle and trouble.

Again Appologies for the inconvenience.

Matt

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”