turbo timers on ai606

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daz364

turbo timers on ai606

Post by daz364 »

hi just wondering if any of you guys have turbo timers i have a toad ai606 alarm has anybody fitted a turbo timer with this alarm

thanks in advance :lol:
juliankv73

Re: turbo timers on ai606

Post by juliankv73 »

daz364 wrote:hi just wondering if any of you guys have turbo timers i have a toad ai606 alarm has anybody fitted a turbo timer with this alarm

thanks in advance :lol:

Hi Daz,

I got a Blitz fatt "blah blah" turbo timer fitted to my car!

Only probablem is that i have to sit in the car until it turns off then arm the system!

I was told by the installer that you CAN have it integrated, but this is the same installer that did not install diodes and now its feckin russian roulette as to when it locks or unlocks! :roll:

So I sit in the car like noob until it turns off or just go inside when im at home. Also, its supposed to turn off if the handbrake is realeased....but it doesnt!

So I prefer to sit in the car like a getaway driver! My neighbours look at me funny just sitting there for 1-2 minutes but hey, to hell with them! :wink:
daz364

Post by daz364 »

yep tell me about it lol :)

have you had the diodes fitted in properly now then cos it sort the problem that i had with the central locking now it work a treat now everytime :D
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

Anyone got the circuit diagrams for this???

Any particular turbo timer that does the job ???
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

daz364 wrote:yep tell me about it lol :)

have you had the diodes fitted in properly now then cos it sort the problem that i had with the central locking now it work a treat now everytime :D

No the guy didnt use diodes! BUT apparently there were 2 ways of connecting the locking and guess what, the installer chose the wrong ones!

The vehicle elctrician couldnt work out why he did it that way...anyways got it sorted but now its too sensitive to the....rain and goes off all the time!

As far as the turbo timer, it just plugs into the car but as i bought it off a mate I have no instructions, but it should be wired up such that as the handbrake is taken off, the car should cut out too.

just make sure you buy the harness to suit the MR2!

HTH Julian
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

I have an Apexi turbo timer on mine with the Ai606 alarm. I cant arm the alarm until timer has timed out. But then, by the time i have gathered up my wallet, phone, door keys etc etc, the 1 minute timer has pretty much timed out anyway!
Also the car cut's out if the handbrake is released.
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

Spoke to the company that fitted my alarm and theres no possible way to arm alarm with engine still running. As it is thatcham approved there is no way to get around this. :(
Jode

Post by Jode »

i had this alarm with a timer, and it made it useless, now its just another coloured light with no purpose :( oh well i like the colour of it
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER

Post by MR_TOAD_INSTALLER »

HI Guys

You cannot have a turbo timer fitted to a Thatcham alarm it devalues the Thatcham status not my words by the way
If you could arm the Toad AI606 when the engine is running you can do this when doing 70 on the motorway and the immobilisors will cut in ( no fun there )
I know now Clifford have finally got a Thatcham Cat 1 with turbo timer through but do you want to pay that price.
Reason 1 the turbo timers are fitted as most imports come from Japan

Hot weather hot engines and need to be cooled but in England this does not really apply
( iknow i will get disagreements to this ) but it is true

These rules are set to protect you your car and the public remember there is no car crime in Japan you can leave car open no probs

Try this at home OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSS

Just my little bit i hope this helps with the law and insurance requirements

Ian
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Does your car have an Auto Arm feature?? My MR2 has a Cobra Cat1 Alarm / Imobiliser fitted which auto arms when the car has been turned off for 60 seconds. This means I can take the key out, Turbo Timer kicks in, Lock the doors with the key and when the turbo timer turns the engine off it will arm itself in 60 seconds.

But could you realy walk away from your car while its running with the thought that someone could possibly smash the window and jump in and go (they will only have about 30 seconds of driving but still...)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Most turbo timers I've come across have a cutout in them if either the handbrake is taken off or the clutch is depressed, stopping would be thieves from their 30 seconds of fun :)

I have an Ai606 and a Starbo turbo timer and as confirmed above, I cannot arm the alarm til the timer has finished its job. However this can sometimes be upwards of 2 and a half minutes. It's funny how it works it out, it counts down the seconds and every time it cuts out the engine 2 seconds after the radiator fan has come on. As far as I can see it's only connected to the ignition so it can only count revs, so it must just be doing revs/time.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

MR_TOAD_INSTALLER wrote:HI Guys

Hot weather hot engines and need to be cooled but in England this does not really apply

Ian

Its got nothing to do with hot weather its to enable a decent supply of oil to the turbo bearings to cool them and to enable the turbo to return back to its idle rpm. Ready for shut down so the turbo and its bearings are under minimal load as possible and dont rotate for a long period of time after the supply of oil is stopped causing lots of wear. it doesnt matter if its 5'c or 35'c outside.

Sorry thats just wrong and its advice like that which causes someone who doesnt know to think "i only need a turbo timer in japan cos its hotter out there" and not let there engines cool down after going for a blat and causes premature turbo failure.

a cheap alternative to a Turbo timer is to just sit in your car having a general tidy up post run. take your cd out of the player and put the face in its box. put your sunglases away. take all those fuel receipts out fo the ashtray etc. by the time you have done all of that you will have been sat there for over a minute and your car will look better for it too. either that or leave it running whilst you put your TTops back on (if you get a chance to take them off in the uk this year!)
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER

Tiny wrote:
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER wrote:HI Guys

Ian

Its got nothing to do with hot weather its to enable a decent supply of oil to the turbo bearings to cool them and to enable the turbo to return back to its idle rpm. Ready for shut down so the turbo and its bearings are under minimal load as possible and dont rotate for a long period of time after the supply of oil is stopped causing lots of wear. it doesnt matter if its 5'c or 35'c outside.

Sorry thats just wrong and its advice like that which causes someone who doesnt know to think "i only need a turbo timer in japan cos its hotter out there" and not let there engines cool down after going for a blat and causes premature turbo failure.

a cheap alternative to a Turbo timer is to just sit in your car having a general tidy up post run. take your cd out of the player and put the face in its box. put your sunglases away. take all those fuel receipts out fo the ashtray etc. by the time you have done all of that you will have been sat there for over a minute and your car will look better for it too. either that or leave it running whilst you put your TTops back on (if you get a chance to take them off in the uk this year!)

OOOHHH dont spit the dummy out
If this is so yes i understand what you are saying this is why 99% of all sports cars or Turbo charged cars do not supply any option what so ever to do with a Turbo Timer and will not.
And all the suppliers of after market ones are made in and come from China
And a Ferrari going for a BLAT! shuts down on key
to Stay within the law you should not leave a vehicle with engine running unattended or you are not insured if it is stolen
as on this forum they are not fit by pros so handbrake will not kill engine.

Next you will be saying remote starts are need to gently warm engine up before being used.

May need that for a jet engine though :lol:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Im not spitting the dummy. I just dont want to see for the sake of £30 someone not fitting a turbo timer and prematurely killing their turbo.

Every Jap turbo car i have owned Supra, Skyline, Mr2, Celica, and Starion have had either in the handbook or behind the drivers mirror or in my 89 supra on the drivers door pocket "To Prevent damage to the turbo allow the car to rest at idle for 1-2 minutes after hard driving" I cant remember the exact wording but its something like to prolong the life of or to prevent damage to ill dig out a pic later.

I can understand why manufacturers dont put them in as factory as it probably falls into dodgy terratory over stealability etc. That and why fit an electronic gizmo when a notice does the job if the owner pays attention to it all good and if not more money for the manufacturer as it will probably fail after the garuntee has expired.

You have obviously know very little about Ferrari's from your comment about people just turning them off after a blat the Ferrari owners i know treat them better than their own children and wives! also Most ferraris arent turbo charged and do not have to worry about turbo bearings etc.

A turbo timer is basically a lazy option rather than sitting in your car and waiting the minute or two to turn it off and Its a nice back up to have if you forget and switch it off if your not concentrating when you park up and forget to wait

No offence meant and didnt want to come across like i was taking the pi$$ or trolling. :lol:
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER

Tiny wrote:Im not spitting the dummy. I just dont want to see for the sake of £30 someone not fitting a turbo timer and prematurely killing their turbo.

Every Jap turbo car i have owned Supra, Skyline, Mr2, Celica, and Starion have had either in the handbook or behind the drivers mirror or in my 89 supra on the drivers door pocket "To Prevent damage to the turbo allow the car to rest at idle for 1-2 minutes after hard driving" I cant remember the exact wording but its something like to prolong the life of or to prevent damage to ill dig out a pic later.

I can understand why manufacturers dont put them in as factory as it probably falls into dodgy terratory over stealability etc. That and why fit an electronic gizmo when a notice does the job if the owner pays attention to it all good and if not more money for the manufacturer as it will probably fail after the garuntee has expired.

You have obviously know very little about Ferrari's from your comment about people just turning them off after a blat the Ferrari owners i know treat them better than their own children and wives! also Most ferraris arent turbo charged and do not have to worry about turbo bearings etc.

A turbo timer is basically a lazy option rather than sitting in your car and waiting the minute or two to turn it off and Its a nice back up to have if you forget and switch it off if your not concentrating when you park up and forget to wait

No offence meant and didnt want to come across like i was taking the pi$$ or trolling. :lol:

This is getting long winded and not what forums are about
this is why i say about Hot weather all the manuals say different like cars driven in hot countrys require different servicing due to hot dusty conditions also engines are prone to run hotter than in a cold country
I have been to the States on Numerous occations and you notice the aux fan on most of the time
So yes i do understand about these things
Oh and Ferrari drivers yes most look after them the ones that i fit Trackers to dont always its just a status thing and they have many other cars in there collection to knock 10 bells out of and impress the ladys as most cannot speak very well just got there by 2 feet
anyhow nuf said
you have your points i dont knock but so do i

Cheers Ian

Return to “Electrical”