Crap forum software.

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Re: Crap forum software.

Post by michael »

Tiamat wrote:
I am a fan of the "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" school you see.

It's broken though ;)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I'm a big fan of this place, it's been through some great times and some not so great. Personally I feel there are a few bugs that annoy me but don't really stop the main use - ie asking for advice, giving advice and seeing what others have done with their cars.

Ok, I tried to add some modifications last night, took far longer than it should. Why? Well the Purchased From downdrop is gubbed, loads of blank lines in it as is the Install by: Select a Business. If you try to add a new business it opens the page in the same window thus wiping your previously entered info. Really annoying that one.

Dyno: gave up trying to add that one and haven't checked in over a year as to whether it has begun working. Going by some previous posts in this section it's still gubbed.

I understand a lot of the work for this forum was manually coded from the base forum software which is great until you need to change something or fix it. Either that knowledge has moved on or just doesn't have enough time to do the fixes.

I'm sure what I've said is nothing in comparsion to the list of faults still to be done so the question is, Is it quicker / easier / easier to maintain the current setup or go to something new and keep it standard?

The other thing I'd say is fix the bloody rules, make rules and stick to them and that includes non mr2's in the garages ffs! Even mods are breaking that one and before you say it's not important I agree it's not important BUT you have made it a rule so enforce it. Or remove the damned rule and be done with it.

At the end of the day if folks don't like it they will move on. Then you know it's not working for sure :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

allan welsh wrote:Ok, I tried to add some modifications last night, took far longer than it should. Why? Well the Purchased From downdrop is gubbed, loads of blank lines in it as is the Install by: Select a Business. If you try to add a new business it opens the page in the same window thus wiping your previously entered info. Really annoying that one

Yeah I can see that being a bit annoying... re the blank lines, that is because people have added businesses to the database without filling out all the required fields...

allan welsh wrote:Dyno: gave up trying to add that one and haven't checked in over a year as to whether it has begun working. Going by some previous posts in this section it's still gubbed.

Dyno functionality was fixed a few months ago.

allan welsh wrote:I understand a lot of the work for this forum was manually coded from the base forum software which is great until you need to change something or fix it. Either that knowledge has moved on or just doesn't have enough time to do the fixes. :

That was the case for a while but is not any more :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toxo - cheers for the reply, glad things are being sorted and looked into. It will be interesting to see how things progress
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

why have the garage only for mr2's its for members cars surely so the rule just needs amending.

am a firm believer if i like the site i stick around well after ive sold up and its always a nice break to see something different.

ive been on 106 owners for 3 years and in that 3 years the first year i owned a saxo, thyen i had nearly a year owning a 106 then bought the mr2, am still very active there and keep my blog updated on that site

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

loudandproud205 wrote:why have the garage only for mr2's its for members cars surely so the rule just needs amending.

am a firm believer if i like the site i stick around well after ive sold up and its always a nice break to see something different.

ive been on 106 owners for 3 years and in that 3 years the first year i owned a saxo, thyen i had nearly a year owning a 106 then bought the mr2, am still very active there and keep my blog updated on that site

well I dunno the clue is in the title under the logo?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

so to enjoy a forum and it community you must own a car related to it?

many of my good friends are from forums that i use and dont own the car for.

the atmosphere is one of the most appealing things on a forum, not just the knowledge available.

dont get me wrong i do see where your coming from with this, but not all of us keep a car forever, even thou we could still have valuable information and enjoy the community that it brings

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

loud, I appreciate your points as they are very valid but that's the perils of having a single car forum. It is an MR2 forum so surely it should really have mr2's only in the garage, or as I said remove the fecking rule. :thumleft: Aint nothing to say you have to own one to be here but surely the garage area should be MR2's only?

None of this really reflects the overhaul of the software which will be interesting to see how it works out. Having seen some abominations being created I hope this place doesn't go the same way
michael

Post by michael »

allan welsh wrote:Aint nothing to say you have to own one to be here but surely the garage area should be MR2's only?

Why not just have a garage that's capable of storing any vehicle but only showcases the MR2s? That way people can store their own machines in the garage and benefit from premium membership without upsetting the MR2 purists. You click to view my info and you see what I have... you click onto the front page of a well developed club site and all you see is MR2s, job done surely?

With the influx of features such as member blogs, publishing tools, galleries, multimedia integration, wiki pages and much much more in newer offerings I think it will be interesting to see what the IMOC update brings to the table.

At the moment it reminds me of the old DC site we used to mock when we had a "proper" forum of our own, IMOC is the new DC in many ways whereas the other newer clubs seem to have grasped onto what made IMOC what it was in the past.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Michael all good points, the current format is a litle tired though as I've said it works fine for what I use it for. I look forward to the new format, whats the ETA?

Garage, sounds good for future but like I keep saying that's not the current rule set and it's being ignored by the people who are supposed to be enforcing them. I just think it's a little rich to enforce some rules and ignore others but that's just me. :mrgreen:
michael

Post by michael »

No idea on the ETA, I jumped ship when it all got too frustrating for me :)

All I do know is that it would have all been done by now if I had my way :whistle:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

michael wrote:No idea on the ETA, I jumped ship when it all got too frustrating for me :)

All I do know is that it would have all been done by now if I had my way :whistle:

The basic migration could be done in a day. A full day to migrate the database from phpBB to vBulletin using ImpEx. Then it'd take a few hours for the articles to copy and pasted to the front-facing CMS. This can be done with the forum up and running, though.

In terms of Forum downtime, I'd say it'd be 6-8 hours.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

michael wrote:No idea on the ETA, I jumped ship when it all got too frustrating for me :)

pah! ya big blouse, get in there and make it happen :wink:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Be good to see how it turns out
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I've been reading up on vBulletin and it's really not without its own problems. The latest version has several large bugs and issues with customization particularly that has resulted in some customers abandoning it...! Shame really, as it was looking good.

Be fair to the guys on here though, please! This is something they do for free out of their own free time, and it's no small issue to move over to a new piece of software. Even a clean installation done properly can take the better half of a weekend to complete...
michael

Post by michael »

monkeymax wrote:
Be fair to the guys on here though, please! This is something they do for free out of their own free time, and it's no small issue to move over to a new piece of software.

Psst... I believe the work is being outsourced to a "proper company" who do this kind of thing for a living... and charge for it.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

monkeymax wrote:I've been reading up on vBulletin and it's really not without its own problems. The latest version has several large bugs and issues with customization particularly that has resulted in some customers abandoning it...! Shame really, as it was looking good.

Be fair to the guys on here though, please! This is something they do for free out of their own free time, and it's no small issue to move over to a new piece of software. Even a clean installation done properly can take the better half of a weekend to complete...

A lot of the comments on the vBulletin forum are complete BS to be honest. It's people who've been adverse to change and don't like the idea that things have moved.

No forum software is perfect, but vBulletin is about the best out there.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

michael wrote:
monkeymax wrote:
Be fair to the guys on here though, please! This is something they do for free out of their own free time, and it's no small issue to move over to a new piece of software.

Psst... I believe the work is being outsourced to a "proper company" who do this kind of thing for a living... and charge for it.

If that is true, it's a huge waste of club funds when there are many willing members who will do it for low-cost/no-cost and maintain it ongoing.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I've heard nothign about paying anyone for moving the forum at all.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “Club News and Announcements”