Ideal Front components?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Greddy-Matt

Ideal Front components?

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Hi :D
Looking to upgrade the standard speakers in my MKII I really want a good sound quality rather than making my ears bleed.

All the audio type places nearby recon they'll have to strip the interior panels out to find out what size components are, and will obviously charge.

So any one got any recomendations for the door speakers etc? Only ones I have had recomended are rainbow??? and Sony.

I have a sony head unit and apparently i have an active system as standard (no idea what that is).

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers!
atuin10

Re: Ideal Front components?

Post by atuin10 »

I'd be interested in the answer to this one too!
What exact speakers will fit right in...?
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

I've heard rainbow recommended on places like car audio direct.

I put in Infinity Kappa 60.5 cs components, which I think are pretty good quality.

The woofer is 16.5cm diameter, which will fit with a simple spacer (they were supplied as part of the speaker kit).

The dome tweater fits straight into the stock location infront of the wing mirror.

To be honest, stripping the door trim off is easy:

- cross head screwdriver for the screws along the bottom and side,
- door open handle bezel also cross head (don't break it though)
- pull the door hand grip out by pulling upwards
- the control block, lever up with flathead screwdriver (covered in tape) at - the top near windscreen. Don't lift up the back, else you'll break the tab.
- Pull out the tweater cover.

Then, lift door card from the bottom, and unclip the window sill connector along the top.

With the door card loose, reach round the back and unclip the red courtesy light and the control box connectors.

Job done. It takes about as long as it does to read. There's also a guide in the BGB http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume2/body.htm

hth

Ian
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Cheers ill have to see if i can get a listen somewhere local! :D
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

I have a set of Kenwood KFC-P505ie components in mine, fitted straight in without any problems, excellent quality and not that expensive (£62.99 from Blue4ice)

Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Thats not bad, I've stuck £150 away for components so that should cover em! Are the kenwoods crisp?
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

As crisp as you like! IIRC the tweeters can produce up to 32000hz.

If you want I can show you the sound quality at the RR at Reworx in Portsmouth on April 1st.
mushky

Post by mushky »

Those Rainbow's are nice. Focal, Genesis or Boston also available around that price.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Re-worx is rx7 based is it not? If No one minds me gatecrashing i might just do that! :D
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

I recommend Alpine Type-R's for the front. Absolutely cracking speakers. If i hadn't bumped my 2 i would have them in by now :(

Scott =op
Mase_00_7

Post by Mase_00_7 »

Rainbows are the boobs mate, i would recommend those over any 'mainstream' brands any day of the week.

The thing with them is tho that they need to be amped to sound any good, but as you have the active speaker system you wont have any problems.

As said earlier, 16.5cm components will go in easily with the use of a spacer ring, and pulling everything apart is really easy..... just make sure you dont brake any of the pop-on clips.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Do you have any links, prices for these Rainbow comps as I am very interested in replacing mine.

Graeme
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Mase_00_7

Post by Mase_00_7 »

Rainbows from CAD

Go with some of the 'kick' series, like the SLC265 Kick set. They're designed to be used low down in kick pods or in low mounted door pods (like the MR2's standard speaker position).

Give awesome midbass, but you would need a sub to go with em (designed that way) because they only drop to 80Hz.

If you dont wanna use a sub aswell, then go for the regular SLC265's. These drop to 50Hz so they'll give you a better bass response, but because of their wider frequency response you wont get as much volume from them (i wont go into detail about why)

Best setup would be the SLC265 Kicks getting 75w RMS from an amp, and a decent sub with the LPF set at about 70-80Hz.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but CAD ??????

Thanks
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Mase_00_7

Post by Mase_00_7 »

gtech wrote:Sorry for my ignorance on this, but CAD ??????

Thanks

Did you click the link? :shock:

Car Audio Direct mate 8)
gtech

Post by gtech »

Sorry I did'nt.....Today is officially now a BLONDE day :-)

Graeme
Mase_00_7

Post by Mase_00_7 »

gtech wrote:Sorry I did'nt.....Today is officially now a BLONDE day :-)

Graeme

lol, talking of blondes today my girlfriend is bein a muppet :roll:
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

if anyone's looking to buy, i'd like to recommend Steve at this place in Cheshire

www.mega-watt.co.uk

he just did me a blinding deal on my new HU and front speakers. Nakamichi CD400 - £150 (normally retail at twice that, but it was ex-display)
Focal 100 Slimline 4" components - £130 (normally retail at £260, but he "had them lying around". cheeky)

he was such a nice guy. when he asked how much i had seen the Naks for and i replied "£200" (which was the absolute lowest i'd seen them), he casually mentioned he was going to eBay it for £150. i was amazed but pleasantly surprised at his straightforwardness.

i am planning on buying an alpine 1600 SWD and some Rainbow 3.5"s for the rear (MK1 SC) and will definitely be going back to Steve, as he has promised to price match as much as he can. i hate salesmen, well at least those who try to pull the wool over, but buying from Steve was like buying from your best mate. not grabby at all, and also gave me the number of a local fitter in case i had problems.

no idea if he's cheaper than CAD, but definitely worth a look and a chat

my 2p

david
garbe

component

Post by garbe »

Hi
I have an active set up, got no idea about ice, :?

If i want to upgrade the speakers, do i need to replace with component, or can i just replace the front doors speakers with coaxial (2 way) or will they not work?

thanks
IronMike

Post by IronMike »

Scotster wrote:I recommend Alpine Type-R's for the front. Absolutely cracking speakers. If i hadn't bumped my 2 i would have them in by now :(

Scott =op

mate gona let us know how you get on as i have a set of type r sitting in my room from my last car but was unsure about fitting due to the magnet being so big as my last car i had to cut doorcard! cheers

Return to “ICE and Security”