Air con and supercharger, is it std equipment ???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

manta7

Air con and supercharger, is it std equipment ???

Post by manta7 »

Hi

I have an MR2 Mk1 87 Jap import supercharger, can anyone tell me if air con was standard equipment as mine doesn't have it.

Also where they fitted with a LSD ?

Thanks
Bry

Re: Air con and supercharger, is it std equipment ???

Post by Bry »

manta7 wrote:Hi

I have an MR2 Mk1 87 Jap import supercharger, can anyone tell me if air con was standard equipment as mine doesn't have it.

Also where they fitted with a LSD ?

Thanks

Where's Lauren when you need her :roll: :D
Watch out OZ here I come !!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Will I do :D

It's unusual to find an SC without aircon....though some have climate control and others don't. Perhaps you have the lightweight model? Are your windows manual rather than electric?

Secondly no, SCs were not sold with LSD as standard. However, a lot do have them, usually aftermarket though I believe it was a dealer option too. Easiest way to check is find a slippy surface, put it in a low gear and give it a little welly, if you're pulled round you've got it :D

T
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Never known an SC not to have AC apart from the lightweight editions Toni has already mentioned. Perhaps this pic will help identify whether you do, or dont have it?

As you can see in the top left of the control panel, you can see A/C and Economy buttons. If you've got them - try pressing them :-)

As for LSD, 99% sure you WONT have it, as your car is an 86. But why not do the test Toni has already said? Its fun! :D

Wayne
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
CJ B

Post by CJ B »

tonigmr2 wrote:Will I do :D

It's unusual to find an SC without aircon....though some have climate control and others don't. Perhaps you have the lightweight model? Are your windows manual rather than electric?

Secondly no, SCs were not sold with LSD as standard. However, a lot do have them, usually aftermarket though I believe it was a dealer option too. Easiest way to check is find a slippy surface, put it in a low gear and give it a little welly, if you're pulled round you've got it :D

T

My car (rev1 tubby) doesnt have LSD - I checked the gearbox code on the ID panel located in the spare wheel well - but when it was icy i thought it would be fun to give it some slippery welly in a straight line and ended up facing the other way instantly. I'm now wondering if it has been changed for a LSD :S

(I'm also wondering if I should patent the name 'Slippery Welly' before someone nicks it :) )
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Manta7, I have an SC. If you want AC I would gladly remove mine and sell all the components for a reasonable sum....

Regarding LSD. The gearbox code on my chassis suggests that I don't have LSD. However when I jack up the rear of the car and turn one rear wheel, the other one turns in the same direction, suggesting that I do have LSD. Confused!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Icsunonove wrote:Manta7, I have an SC. If you want AC I would gladly remove mine and sell all the components for a reasonable sum....

Regarding LSD. The gearbox code on my chassis suggests that I don't have LSD. However when I jack up the rear of the car and turn one rear wheel, the other one turns in the same direction, suggesting that I do have LSD. Confused!

If after jacking it up and with the car in neutral you turn one wheel and the other goes the same way, you have an LSD.

I think LSDs for the SC were either fitted as aftermarket or as a dealer (i'm guessing TRD) option.

Retrofitting AC is a bit of a nightmare tbh. Not only do you have all the pipework to do there is all the wiring as well. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is by no means easy.

With that in mind, though its nice to have AC for the UK i'd say it isn't really worth it.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Indeed, I've removed all the AC from mine - the pump weighs about 10kgs!

T
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Image
Wayne

whats that switch you can see through the steering wheel for? i dont have one of them on my mk1. :?:

Porl''
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Looks like a parking light switch. Not all MK1s have them.
T
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Looks like a parking light switch. Not all MK1s have them.
T

Well Done Toni - but sorry, you dont win a prize!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)

Return to “Mechanical”