Which boost gauge to get?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darrenmr2

Which boost gauge to get?

Post by darrenmr2 »

Dont think my car is running 100%, so thought id invest in a boost gauge to see what shes boosting at. Question is which one and how much do i pay? Looked on ebay and theres LOADS just dont know whats good and whats not! I have a 1993 rev 2 tubby. Should it be around 10psi? Im new to this tubby thing, so pardon me for asking but whats that in 'bar' (0.5? 0.7? etc) And whats the diff between bar and psi?! Sorry if i sound stupid...need a turbo lesson! :oops: Oh and what are they like to fit? DIY job or pay someone? Cheers in advance!
BLOODUK

Re: Which boost gauge to get?

Post by BLOODUK »

I believe the best boost guage to get is the HKS boost guage, i also like the different sizes too!

bar and psi is kinda the same thing, people tend to use different ways to explain what they are running at... Rev 2 should be about 6 - 7 psi i think, which = 0.5/0.6 bar !
Last edited by BLOODUK on Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

Oh and you have the same car as me :D :D
karammander

Post by karammander »

rev 2 should boost more than 6-7psi since my rev 1 boosted 8-9 satandard on the rollers, i bought a apexi el boost gauge, i think this one is good because its very slim, only about 25mm and a nice display which is very accurate. but then its up to u.there are a lot of bar to psi converters on the net do a search and you should find one.

cheers karam
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

karammander mine was boosting standard at about 0.5/0.6 bar
which is about 6/7 psi right?

I think rev 2's are standard set that way, pretty much most people ive spoken too 0.5 - 0.6 bar is normal
darrenmr2

Post by darrenmr2 »

Cheers guys. What about fitting them though? Is it a difficult job?
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

darrenmr2 wrote:Cheers guys. What about fitting them though? Is it a difficult job?

I think it looks abit fiddly, but i didnt fit my boost guage it came with the car
best to wait for someone with experience who has fitted there's ;)

btw got any pics of your car?
darrenmr2

Post by darrenmr2 »

No pics yet sorry :( what gauge do i need... mechanical or electronic? Just looking on ebay now... so many to choose from and so much variation in price so confused! ](*,)
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

http://www.2kracing.com/index.php/cPath/476_490

These are the type that most people have
including myself

http://www.2kracing.com/images/face_whi ... _gauge.jpg
here's my type i have
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

BLOODUK wrote:karammander mine was boosting standard at about 0.5/0.6 bar
which is about 6/7 psi right?

I think rev 2's are standard set that way, pretty much most people ive spoken too 0.5 - 0.6 bar is normal

1 Bar = 14psi roughly.

0.5 = 7psi (ie wastegate pressure if the ECU thinks there is a problem)
0.7 = 10psi When ECU is happy.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

darrenmr2 wrote:Cheers guys. What about fitting them though? Is it a difficult job?

Time consuming more than difficult - you need to run vaccum hose though from the engine bay (T off from just below the pressure sensor next to the diagnostics port) through to the dash.

John Helps a few years back did this excellent write up :

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t ... #HKS_gauge
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

i like the 60mm greddy stuff, quality isn't cheap .... its priceless

if you want a nice EGT to go with it i got them in stcok.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

I've got an electronic, digital boost gauge which I got for £40 from POTN.. it did take AGES to turn up, so I'm reluctant to order off the same company again though!

Its good, easy to see and easy to fit, although I'm only boosting 9.1psi, although I reckon that there is a slight boost leak somewhere, which I'm yet to trace. I was under the impression Rev1s and 2s boosted to 10psi and Rev3's boosted to 12psi (stock)

The safest boost for a Rev1 is around 15psi, and Rev3 is 18 I've heard.. although some people run more/less depending on when they need it.

Best invest in an oil temp/pressure gauge too, as if your oil stops, your turbo and engine will follow suit shortly!
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Another option is the replacement of the std boost guage with an alternative of same size. I did this using the Omori mechanical boost guage but this involves more fitting than mounting on the dash or on pillar including some cutting of clock housing. At the same time I replaced the clock dials with white Lockwoods as the clocks have to be removed in order to fit guage. Cleaner appearance IMO.

Return to “Modifications”