I only want 300BHP

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

philz

I only want 300BHP

Post by philz »

It's time to spend a few quid on making my car just that little bit faster. I ultimately want my car to be very drivable with good low down pickup so I'm not interested in laggy turbos or a 1000rpm wide powerband.

At the moment I have an Apexi air filter, Mongoose exhaust, a grainger valve and HKS SSQV. The GV is set to 16PSI and I've disconnected the VSV. On the rolling road this showed 260BHP but I fancy cracking that magic 300BHP :)

My ideas, what do you think?

Replace GV with Apexi AVC-R
Junk the cat and fit a proper downpipe
Take car to Millway to fit Unichip and map it

Is the Apexi and Unichip a good combo or would I be better off just going for the Unichip boost module?
shafster

Re: I only want 300BHP

Post by shafster »

i would go for a

decat/ downpipe
electronic boost controller (avcr is a bit difficult to set up properly) set to 18psi
unichip
chargecooler

this should get you very close to the 300bhp mark. a couple of rev3's have got over the 300bhp with these mods.
steve b

Post by steve b »

decat and unichip, forget the boost coontroller as on rev3's the unichip takes control of the vsv and does a good job of controlling boost on its own.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
philz

Post by philz »

I thought you needed the Unichip boost controller in order for it to control the boost?

If so I'd probably rather buy the Apexi instead as it's almost the same price.

Do I really need a chargecooler? Plenty of people used to get 300BHP with just the Unichip/decat/filter/exhaust.
nutter

Post by nutter »

are you talking 300 at the flywheel or at the wheels (where it really counts). for 300 @ the wheels you'll need some sort of uprated i/c / cc.
philz

Post by philz »

Just flywheel figures.
nutter

Post by nutter »

in that case you could probably get 300bhp without an I/c. Whether you would be able to stay at 300 after a couple of runs down the strip would be another matter :) . The standard i/c will heatsoak very quickly at higher boost levels.
philz

Post by philz »

I'm not really interested in drag racing to be honest, just want a car which will be quick on the road.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I would'nt even try to get to 300bhp without sorting out the cooling first. 300bhp can not be run reliably without either an uprated i/c or a c/c! It will end in tears trust me :cry:

Mikejc
philz

Post by philz »

You really think that I need better cooling for just 300BHP?

There are loads of people round here with standard intercoolers that are running 300BHP reliably, I even know of some that are running 320BHP (unichip & hybrid turbo)
karammander

Post by karammander »

i would put water injection on it, realy cheap and a great power gain, also protects again detonation at the top end, i should be getting my aquamist kit soon, only going for a basic one at the mo to see how it works.

cheers karam
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I can tell you from experience that those that are making a genuine 300bhp without the aid of an uprated i/c or c/c, are heading for trouble! The standed i/c struggles to cope at normal boost levels during the summer let alone the levels needed to achieve 300bhp.

My own car when making just shy of 300bhp @ the fly would struggle during the hotter months. And I was running a Spearco i/c at the time!

As for water injection. Thor advice that this is only used as an extra procaution/layer of protection. They will not use water injection as a substitute for good fueling. Should the w/i fail for any given reason, ie, runs out of O2 or pump failure should accure, it could well cost you your engine!

Mikejc
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

I got a Unichip and decat and ive got over 300bhp. Remember its not all about cooling, engine condition plays a big part too. And the car has been mapped with a nice flat torque curve. Really responsive.. tis great on the cunnery roads.
And I know im producing the power as ive pummelled other mr2s near 300bhp and beaten quite a few TT supras on top end. On mummys private road of course.
shafster

Post by shafster »

pizza boy wrote:On mummys private road of course.

private road my @ss, i do that xxxx all over the road and i dont care who it belongs to. 140mph on the m1 chasing a porker.

have some of that mr rozzer :twisted:
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Watch it shaf! "Hunter checks" are going on all the time on here!!!
nutter

Post by nutter »

Bragging does not stand up in a court of law :lol:
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Mikejc wrote:I can tell you from experience that those that are making a genuine 300bhp without the aid of an uprated i/c or c/c, are heading for trouble! The standed i/c struggles to cope at normal boost levels during the summer let alone the levels needed to achieve 300bhp.

My own car when making just shy of 300bhp @ the fly would struggle during the hotter months. And I was running a Spearco i/c at the time!

As for water injection. Thor advice that this is only used as an extra procaution/layer of protection. They will not use water injection as a substitute for good fueling. Should the w/i fail for any given reason, ie, runs out of O2 or pump failure should accure, it could well cost you your engine!

Mikejc

I am with Mike on this one, to hit 300bhp that little ct20b will have to be running some boost, up at the top end of its efficency range = lots heat.

Remember if you buy say a greddy intercooler for £600 its not dead money, if you ever sell the car you can replace your old one and get a large chunck of that £600 back.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
philz

Post by philz »

Would it be worth investing a bit extra for a chargecooler at this level of tune or would it be a total waste?
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

philz wrote:Would it be worth investing a bit extra for a chargecooler at this level of tune or would it be a total waste?

If it were me, i would go side mount IC and use the spare cash toward a stand alone ecu rather than chargercooler.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
philz

Post by philz »

But if I don't plan to change the turbo then surely a stand alone won't offer me any benefits over a Unichip?

Return to “Modifications”