http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/e ... -29-01-05/

So who fancies another IMOC day there?
Rowland

Re: Photos from the Elvington Trackday

Post by Rowland »

Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

No spoiler Rowland? What's happened there?
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Rowland »

Nige wrote:No spoiler Rowland? What's happened there?

*Tsk* keep up Nige :wink:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Cripes - I can't believe I missed that, despite spending half my life on these boards! :D
Glad to hear you're putting it back on, though; the car looks too naked with it. :P
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep I agree, if only we could ensure its wet everytime!

ooh how about:

http://www.bookatrack.com/-pB?545

Its Saturday 7th May btw price £99

:?:

Nice piccies BTW, think you captured the atmosphere well :)
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:Yep I agree, if only we could ensure its wet everytime!

That would definately be a big selling point for me, wet track but not raining :)

Tempting ;)

Nice piccies BTW, think you captured the atmosphere well :)

Thought I'd try to add a few general 'scenery' pictures :)
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

I hate that when yer think i 'll not bother,but when you get there i wish i had :roll:
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Sounds good to me had a great day :lol:
I'm definately going on next time though!
Huge thanks the guy from Derby who took me out round the track that was some very exceptional driving (sorry can't remeber your name) :?

Cheers Si :D
JJ

Post by JJ »

(sorry can't remeber your name)

Jonno !! Or Niel Johnson for the 4th time !! Or Cone Killer !! :shock: :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Oh yes i remember now!!! :roll: It must of been that drive you took me out on JJ I've just about stopped shaking now!! :wink:

& as for "Cone Killer" That cone just stepped out in front of us without looking we didn't stand a chance in stopping in time!!

R.I.P
Our hearts go out to the cone's family at this tragic, upsetting time....
:cry:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sweete wrote:Oh yes i remember now!!! :roll: It must of been that drive you took me out on JJ I've just about stopped shaking now!! :wink:

& as for "Cone Killer" That cone just stepped out in front of us without looking we didn't stand a chance in stopping in time!!

R.I.P
Our hearts go out to the cone's family at this tragic, upsetting time....
:cry:

That'll be £3.77 plus VAT please! ;)
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

HAHAHAHHA 'BIG WHITE SMOKE MACHINE' :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

I would be interested in another day there. But it needs to be after March time so I can get the car sorted...... :)
jonno

Post by jonno »

I know BaT dont run timed events, but is there any way we could run an event at elvington with timing gear? It would be a great opportunity to do the TOTB selection, with timing gear on the circuit in the morning and maybe 1/4's in the afternoon?

at £99 for 36 cars for a normal day it cant be *that* expensive to run a timed event surely?

I am assuming its just public liability insurance thats the problem for BaT and timing gear obviously, but surely neither of those are that difficult to sort out?

What does everyone think?

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

There is a little track down in Wales (Llandow) which does cheap days (sub £100), properly surfaced and lots of run off. Would it be worth trying to arrange a day at that circuit? The only thing that puts me off the air field days is carving my tires up.

Cheers

James
jonno

Post by jonno »

Bender Unit wrote:There is a little track down in Wales (Llandow) which does cheap days (sub £100), properly surfaced and lots of run off. Would it be worth trying to arrange a day at that circuit? The only thing that puts me off the air field days is carving my tires up.

Cheers

James

Might be best you stick to drag racing then :P

Trackdays are hard on tyres, airfields are very bad, but the sad fact is that hard driving around a circuit will ruin your pretty little tyres - deal with it and stop whinging :)

What we could really do with is a circuit that is able to flood the surface on demand so we could have wet trackdays without relying on the weather!

Seriously though, I dont mind where we have it but I think that a timed event on an airfield would be really useful and would avoid the voting calamity we were reduced to for last years TOTB selection - it would also be better than simply relying on 1/4m times - anyone can bolt on 200bhp of NOS and make a good time, but as last year showed the handling circuit is where the MR2 stands a real chance!.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

>>Trackdays are hard on tyres, airfields are very bad, but the sad fact is that hard driving around a circuit will ruin your pretty little tyres - deal with it and stop whinging <<

Whoa there Jonno, I wasn’t saying that a track day wont be hard on tires that’s a given just like driving a car uses up petrol. :) However it would be preferable if the day was done on a more tire friendly surface, you have just confirmed that tire wear on the air strip days is very wearing. Unless you have a good idea on how to get 4 spare tires to the track so you can drive home and be legal? :?

>>Seriously though, I dont mind where we have it but I think that a timed event on an airfield would be really useful and would avoid the voting calamity we were reduced to for last years TOTB selection - it would also be better than simply relying on 1/4m times<<

The thing is the whole event is arranged around the ¼ mile and circuit is a side show. At the end of the day the TOTB champion is the quickest across the ¼ mile not the circuit. What the point in having a load of MR2’s that are great on the circuit but cant do a ¼ mile for sh*t? :) At the end of the day the cars with decent ¼ mile times who ran at TOTB3 also put in decent circuit times, or was I mistaken? :) :-k Also lets not forget none of the MR2’s that attended were in any particular state of extreme tuning unlike a lot of the competition, so it was unlike that anyone would be in the top spots but JJ showed what can be done! :thumright:

As I have said : The thing is the whole event is arranged around the ¼ mile and circuit is a side show.

In your words … deal with it and stop whinging! :P :P

Also its a bit unfair to expect people who want to be considered for TOTB to have to spend £££ on a track day (factor in petrol, brakes, tires the day itself and over night stays if they dont live locally) Drag racing is cheap, in expensive and easily acessable to most. Would you drive 4 hours south to do a track day? :wink:

>>anyone can bolt on 200bhp of NOS and make a good time<<

Yeah its great isn’t it, makes you wonder why some many others haven’t gone the same route. It serves a purpose and TBH if you don’t have gas then you won’t stand a chance on the ¼ mile against the other Mr2’s being built using gas. At the end of the day who cares how you get up the strip and what methods you use, as long as you get there quicker! :D

Regards

James
Last edited by Bender Unit on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:
Seriously though, I dont mind where we have it but I think that a timed event on an airfield would be really useful and would avoid the voting calamity we were reduced to for last years TOTB selection - it would also be better than simply relying on 1/4m times - anyone can bolt on 200bhp of NOS and make a good time, but as last year showed the handling circuit is where the MR2 stands a real chance!.

Neil,

Trackdays do not allow timing as it invalidates the liability insurance so it is an explicit no, no.

The only way to get timings is to do a test day and you need an MSA licence and a race worthy car to do it, which as you can imagine would rule out 99% of those wishing to compete in TOTB.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Lauren wrote:
jonno wrote:

Neil,

Trackdays do not allow timing as it invalidates the liability insurance so it is an explicit no, no.

The only way to get timings is to do a test day and you need an MSA licence and a race worthy car to do it, which as you can imagine would rule out 99% of those wishing to compete in TOTB.

So how to redline run TOTB then? Or am i missing something?
jonno

Post by jonno »

Bender Unit wrote:Whoa there Jonno, I wasn’t saying that a track day wont be hard on tires that’s a given just like driving a car uses up petrol. :) However it would be preferable if the day was done on a more tire friendly surface, you have just confirmed that tire wear on the air strip days is very wearing. Unless you have a good idea on how to get 4 spare tires to the track so you can drive home and be legal? :?

I was joking :) - sohf?

Bender Unit wrote:The thing is the whole event is arranged around the ¼ mile and circuit is a side show. At the end of the day the TOTB champion is the quickest across the ¼ mile not the circuit.

Actually no its not, I am more interested in the handling circuit than how fast CRD can launch their 150k supra on slicks down the 1/4. I dont think I am alone either. OK, so the chav mainstream love 1/4 times cus they are easy to understand, but if we are really saying that only cars with NOS and fast 1/4 times are worth entering then I wont be bothering.

Bender Unit wrote:In your words … deal with it and stop whinging! :P :P

ok :)

Bender Unit wrote:Also its a bit unfair to expect people who want to be considered for TOTB to have to spend £££ on a track day (factor in petrol, brakes, tires the day itself and over night stays if they dont live locally) Drag racing is cheap, in expensive and easily acessable to most. Would you drive 4 hours south to do a track day? :wink:

Actually I would, well not south obviously, cus southerners are all poofs, but i would drive a decent distance for a trackday. Personally I think anyone who isnt comitted enough to do a trackday before TOTB shouldnt be entered - whats the point of running a car with a driver who has no experience on track?

Bender Unit wrote:It (NOS) serves a purpose and TBH if you don’t have gas then you won’t stand a chance on the ¼ mile against the other Mr2’s being built using gas.

Maybe so - if everyone is running as much NOS as they can get in their boot then its not worth my time entering.

Essentially the event has 3 disciplines, I feel quite strongly that we should enter cars that can compete in all three where possible. One of the best things about the whole event is that you get a mixture of machinery. What would be the point if everyone thought like you and just bolted 150bhp of NOS onto an MR2?

Before you reply this is somewhat tongue in cheek - but i do think that a timed circuit event would be a useful thing to do. If we dont it will deteriorate into the fiasco we had last year. If we must do the whole selection process based on 1/4 miles I will be running 1bhp more NOS than everyone else - feel my power :)

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”