Coolant change

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jamitsi

Coolant change

Post by Jamitsi »

Hi

i am looking to change the coolant on My Rev 3 turbo, and have heard ots a pig to do! how bad is it?
I have done a search, and it doesn't really help

i was wondering if someone could tell me how to do it? or show me a link to a How To?
is it just a case of removing the bottom radiator hose and draining it?
heard there is four bleed valves? is this right?

i had alook today under the front bonnet and removed the covers, found the clear pipe to push on valves, is one valve on the N/S top of the radiator?
and one on the front bulkhead near the centre of the car (above the battery)
but what about the engine does that have a bleed valve/point?

and finally, is it true that Toyota forelife antifreeze MUST be used?

any help is much appreciated!!
thanks jamie
Ian Geary

Re: Coolant change

Post by Ian Geary »

Did my coolant the other day, as was mostly water.

To drain - there is a radiator drain plug on the driver's side of the radiator - down in the bottom corner.

You can access it by lying next to the car, and sticking your arm up under the radiator undertrays, but it's easier with the trays off (but doing so will no doubt break the plastic brackets).

This should drain most of the coolant, provided the heater is on full and the rad cap is off. I jacked up my car under the rear sub frame to help the coolant.

Undoing the rad pipe won't quite be enough, as the pipe enters the side of the radiator (cross flow type), so coolant will still sit in the bottom.

Yes, there are 4 bleed valves:

One i've just mentioned
Two are under the middle of the car - on the inside of the front to rear coolant pipes. to expose these more trays have to come off
The final is an engine drain plug, on the rear of the engine. Now I've never actually found this plug, but haven't needed it to date.

How to: there is a how to replace coolant guide written for a Mk1 - which is very similar.

To refill, obviously shut any bleed valves and get the car level. Connect the two service hoses ot the bleed valve on the top (passenger side) of the rad, and the plastic valve next to the bulk head.

Fill up slowly with a funnel into the radiator cap in the engine bay (the metal screw cap, not the expansion bottle).

Keep it slow, and air should bubble up. Stop when the rad cap is full, and check the coolant level in the two pipes up front is up level with the rad cap.

Then run the engine for a bit to circulate, then check and top up as necessary. Ps revving the enigne with the service hoses connected up will result in a wet front trunk. So tighten these up when you're done.

Finally, toyota 4life isn't necessary, but it must be an ethanal glycol based coolant - not a silicone one. Available from Halfords or any motor factor - can be blue or red I recall.

I hope this helps, and I haven't lost you in all of this. It really isn't that hard. Dont' forget to check the heater works, else you could have an air lock.

Ian
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

I don't like the idea of breaking clips on anything so i think i'll be taking mine to MR.T :(

Scott =oP
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I don't like the idea of breaking clips on anything so i think i'll be taking mine to MR.T

And you think they will care once they get underneath??? What you can't see, you won't find out!

And see how much coolant they charge you for. It should be at least 10 or 11 litres. Their usual trick is to give the game away and only charge for what they emptied out - about 4 litres.
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

What other choice do i have? I don't know of anyone locally :(

Scott =oP
mrmarc

Post by mrmarc »

hey pete,i dont understand..why should they charge u for at least 10-11litres??.please excuse me if im missing the point entirely(wouldnt be the first time!!)but im getting my car serviced soon and im sourcing all the bits myself and im getting 5lts of for life coolent and thort this would be ample??...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Hi. Because the total capacity is around 12 litres. If they do the job properly (as outlined above) all but a portion in the bottom of the block will be drained out.

If they do a quick job, they'll only use a few litres.

In the workshop here a full drain/fill takes around 10 or 11 litres and takes around an hour.
mrmarc

Post by mrmarc »

damn,,looks like its gonna cost me alot more to get my coolent changed now..i only picked up a 5lt tub...but thanks for pointing that out.for some reson i was under the impression that 5lts would be enough(probably reading treads where people had done the above thing of not draining properly)thanks :)
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

It depends what coolant you buy. Forlife is ready mixed, however the ethelyne glyol one halfords do is designed to be diluted to 50-50, so a 5 litre one of those could be just about right.

I changed the coolant on mine myself, drained the majority out through the front rad at the bottom, attached a piece of hose to it, and the stuff just keeps coming and coming!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Forlife is called LongLife nowadays, it's available as both pre-mixed and as a concentrate.

I used just under 10 litres when I did mine. Couldn't find the drain plug on the engine #-o

Think I used penetrating fluid on the undertray bolts every weekend for about 3 months before doing the coolant change :mrgreen:
mrmarc

Post by mrmarc »

hi,yep long life thats the stuff.ill pick up another 5lts before my car goes in for its service,this is my first 2 so its nothing but the best/recomended for it-or its a case of ive started so ill finish!...im kinda glad that im paying someone else to service it...not because i wouldnt want to do it myself,but 1 im no expert and i have little 2 no tools for the job!.also i dont fancy my chances with those 13 year old bolts :D

Return to “Mechanical”