cryogenically freezing the block

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

screech

cryogenically freezing the block

Post by screech »

anyone had their block cryogenically frozen? thinking of getting this done to restore some of the block strength after its rebore. it's cheaper than a new block and cheaper than sleeving.

power aim is 350@wheels, maybe more.

worthwhile?
TomThumb

Re: cryogenically freezing the block

Post by TomThumb »

iv heard of the benefits of this. i would be interested to see how it goes for you. who are you getting this done with?
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Surely if you want to make it harder you would need to heat it to a very high temprature and cool it down rapidly. I believe they do this on tools to harden them up.
ImageImage
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

do it, its worth while. We do it on small 2stroke engines and the results are significant on the dyno. Also makes the cylinders more stable.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Where can this be done?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Goldy wrote:Surely if you want to make it harder you would need to heat it to a very high temprature and cool it down rapidly. I believe they do this on tools to harden them up.

Yip its called Case Hardening. Makes a hell of a difference. Never heard of the freezing process though. Sounds interesting

Scott =oP
screech

Post by screech »

costs about 225+vat from another place, which is a lot cheaper than sleeving a block which costs 1.5-2k (obviously it won't be as strong but it's still a good option). used for all sorts of things including motorsport

"Cryo treating completely stress relieves the block and actually strengthens it by increasing the amount of martensite (a hard crystalline variant of steel) carbide inclusions within the metal. It also rearranges the metal’s molecular structure into a better symmetrical crystal matrix with more complete molecular bonds that further helps strengthen the block. These microscopic changes also increase abrasion resistance and the lubricity of sliding surfaces, thereby reducing friction. You can expect much longer wear of the cylinder bores as well as improved dimensional stability under all conditions. The improved dimensional stability improves head gasket and piston ring seal. Cryo-treated blocks can make up to 6 percent more power just due to better ring sealing and less internal friction alone.

In many ferrous metal applications, cryo treating can increase wear resistance by over 800 percent, fatigue strength by over 100 percent, and tensile strength by up to 25 percent. The typical increase of wear resistance in cast iron like our block is 100 percent."

Post by Bender Unit »

I would say its total over kill, especially for your power levels, I doubt you will see any gain on a dyno - i mean how can it result in more power? The stock block is clearly good for these sorts of power levels. Dont worry about thick/thin wall issues as your engine has already been tested at high BHP levels and hasnt had a issue. Dont worry about trying to seek out the last nth bhp as you really dont need to go to those lengths to get power. Big turbo, good cams, forged pistons, big injectors and a ECU - is all you need for your power gains and you already have all of it!

costs about 225+vat from another place, which is a lot cheaper than sleeving a block which costs 1.5-2k (obviously it won't be as strong but it's still a good option). used for all sorts of things including motorsport

Sleeves costs around £500 - the only issue is that if they get i wrong during install then they charge you £500, and you have a junk block.

Cheers

James
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

i thought jonno looked into sleaving and it was silly money over here. This is why i'm going state side to have mine installed then build the block over here once there installed. i wanted somone who has been doing it for years to installed them to make sure its done right.

Was thinking of getting a few pre done for stock

Tim
xxxx
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Tim some chaps I know with turbo Hondas have had it done in the UK circa 500. there is only a few companys that will do it in the UK.

I can PM you the details if you like.

Cheers
James
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

ah yes, its a very popular mod in the honda world for running turbo applications.

I just wanted mine installed by someone who has done these before and had good results.

Tim
xxxx
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

The companys that do it in the UK are pro's feller, you cant offer a service like sleeving and be a bit sh*t at it. The work can be done in the UK to a very high standard, you just need to know where to look.

Cheers

James
paul port

Post by paul port »

Carbotech (Home of my favourite brake pads) Also offer Cryogenic treatment:

http://www.carbotecheurope.com/

paul
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

Cryo treatment on a 3s Block would be a waste of money from my point of view screechy,
If you're just aiming for 350hp,even at the tyres,that cash could be better spent on other supporting mods ,like cv cases or an engine stabiliser.
Its now 'common' in the US for guys to run up to 400rwhp with a stock bottom end.
Cryo maybe a bit overkill,not if you're aiming for 600hp tho!
With the correct tuning and not 'cheap' parts 400hp could be easily obtainable with bolt-ons.

Return to “Modifications”