Oil catch can

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Century Motorsport

Oil catch can

Post by Century Motorsport »

Are they really worth doing?? There is one on ebay at the moment for not alot of money so was toying with the idea. Dont wanna waste money on a pointless excersize really!

Any help is apreciated!!

Nathan
Mikejc

Re: Oil catch can

Post by Mikejc »

Given that you are running a Rev3 you already have an oil catch can of sorts.....the little black coke can sized thing on left hand side of the throttle body. Once the blow by gases have passed through this they are then fed back into the intake system just before the turbo.

I found that on my own car the blow by gas being fed back in to the system was mixing with the tiny particles that were getting passed the Blitz air filter, thus leaving a nasty sludge like compond around the intake leading up to the turbo and around the turbo inlet itself! To sort the problem I have now fitted a Cusco catch can and no longer recirc the gases back into the intake. Instead i'm now venting directly from the outlet of the catch can to the ground via a long hose, (not stictly legal I know ! :-$ ) If you don't fancy venting to ground you could always buy yourself an oil breather filter for around £20 :wink:

The end result is a spotless intake, in my own case at least 8)

Good luck,

Mikejc
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Mikejc wrote:Given that you are running a Rev3 you already have an oil catch can of sorts.....the little black coke can sized thing on left hand side of the throttle body. Once the blow by gases have passed through this they are then fed back into the intake system just before the turbo.

I found that on my own car the blow by gas being fed back in to the system was mixing with the tiny particles that were getting passed the Blitz air filter, thus leaving a nasty sludge like compond around the intake leading up to the turbo and around the turbo inlet itself! To sort the problem I have now fitted a Cusco catch can and no longer recirc the gases back into the intake. Instead i'm now venting directly from the outlet of the catch can to the ground via a long hose, (not stictly legal I know ! :-$ ) If you don't fancy venting to ground you could always buy yourself an oil breather filter for around £20 :wink:

The end result is a spotless intake, in my own case at least 8)

Good luck,

Mikejc

hi mate, my catch can on my rev2 im venting straight back to the turbo...
ie, crank to catch can, catch can to air filter/turbo pipes.....
is this a bad idea?????
i cleaned out all my hoses when i put in the catch can and thought id be doing the car a favour, but if venting it to the intake is filing it with crap again, perhaps its not a good idea????????
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

I have the same setup on mine. Will be interesting to see what replies come back..... :-k
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

The sludge I found in the inlet and around the turbo of my own car is common I have found after speaking to many owners, However, do not panic too much! Although less than ideal this will not harm the engine over night :D

One other reason for not recirculating the blow by gas back into the intake system...........the addition of the oil into the incoming air that is fed by the turbo, then through the I/C or C/C and in via the throttle body, can aid detonation! Something we should all avoid obviously :cyclops:

I hope this helps fella's

Mikejc
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

I've got a rev3 with the standard can on it but I stopped it recircing and instead vent it to atmos with a Pipercross filter. When it was on the rolling road doing a power run I watched the amount of "sh1te" that flows out of it - unreal! Obviously doing no good for the combustion process at all when connected into the turbo!

R.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thats good to know, now i can justify spending the money on one now! :P

Return to “Modifications”