Top speed of NA?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

G-LimitedGav

Top speed of NA?

Post by G-LimitedGav »

Does any one no the top speed of a 92 G-limited NA, just curious. Not that id ever push it 2 the top speed, id b 2 scared incase something went bang 8-[.
waelwulfas

Re: Top speed of NA?

Post by waelwulfas »

Claimed 137mph, although road tests seem to vary, I've seen listed 129 to 135 but these are on tight new engines.
spindle

Post by spindle »

i've had 130mph on the clock in mine. it had plenty left in it but i bottled it.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Mine still has standard clocks on it, but gets off the 110mph speedo very quickly and keeps pulling. I would also be interested in any figures quoting this.
pete h

Post by pete h »

bout 138 on mine, it was a long PRIVATE road :mrgreen:

I've heard people claim upto 150... i couldnt see mine doing that speed on that day.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

My highest actual GPS verified top speed in an N/A was 135mph in a '95 G-Limited at the J-Tuner photoshoot. I ran out of runway before I hit the red line.

I saw an indicated 152mph on my first ever N/A MR2, but clearly this is an over-read.

Rogue
Ms Croft

Post by Ms Croft »

Ive had a good 140mph out of my n/a (not on public roads) 8-[ but I havent pushed it to its limit yet, would like to see what its top speed is though :D
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

I've had 140 on speedo so prob about 130 actual speed.
ricc

Post by ricc »

112mph..... if your an import with the limiter still on
alex205mi16

Post by alex205mi16 »

whatever it is its too fast for me...
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I had about 125mph before I bottled, and to serve me right the head gasket went the next week :)

Now I don't go above 95, and like to cruise at 75 - 80 :)
fisher42uk

Post by fisher42uk »

Rogue wrote:
I saw an indicated 152mph on my first ever N/A MR2, but clearly this is an over-read.

Rogue

Exactly the same speed as indicated with my N/A, my pals celica was next to me and his speedo indicated 150. Obviously toyoya made the speedo's a bit out :lol:

Funnily enough i can't hit that much in the tubby :-k

Wayne
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Lucky you, I still got the limiter on mine :(

Feels like it still has tons left in it.
ricc

Post by ricc »

axisofunity wrote:
Now I don't go above 95, and like to cruise at 75 - 80 :)

Same here....I value life too much to risk it having a brown trouser moment (or worse) in a small 13year old car at a 90mph +
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

140MPH+ in My import G-limited rev3 1993. :wink:
Don Cool

Post by Don Cool »

Should I wish to floor my car on a nice bit of road with no traffic I could well imagine I might get an easy 125mph out of it (with more to give should I wish to push it further) before running out of straight.

If I was stupid enough to drive at that speed, I think that my 10 yr old car would not be unduly overworked and be performing within acceptable parameters.

However, if I was driving at those kind of speeds, I might pause for thought and speculate that Her Majesty's Highways are not renowned for their smooth, flat surfaces. I might suddenly feel that if I was to hit a minor bump, dead dog or delve in the surface, my front end might lift and I might take off, spreading myself and my most prized possesion across a wide surface area.

If, obviously, I was going that fast. Which I haven't, ever.

I never go over 70mph. I just bought the car for the looks. O:)
DC

Post by G-LimitedGav »

Never ever, ever, ever !?!?!?! :shock:

LIES! :tongue:
snowman

Post by snowman »

complete lies! lol
only joking old age has taken me by suprise and i rarely speed i'll soon be hitting the grey haired sunday driving society.

i had 152 out of the n/a beams vvti race engined import g-limited which i had a couple of years ago.

that car was awsome! hope my turbo when i get it lives up to that car.
Tom Solan

speed from N/A

Post by Tom Solan »

At the risk of sounding like a smart A*** I have had 168 MPH from a 1998 BEAMS N/A and the car wasn''t flat out. It was showing just short of 7k RPM.
The car had had an SVA and the speedo was checked on a rolling road and was deemed to be accurate. Now this means it did not read FAST so allowing for some (allowed) inaccuracies it was still in excess of 155 MPH.

Tom
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: speed from N/A

Post by Lauren »

Tom Solan wrote:At the risk of sounding like a smart A*** I have had 168 MPH from a 1998 BEAMS N/A and the car wasn''t flat out. It was showing just short of 7k RPM.
The car had had an SVA and the speedo was checked on a rolling road and was deemed to be accurate. Now this means it did not read FAST so allowing for some (allowed) inaccuracies it was still in excess of 155 MPH.

Tom

the error increases though the faster you go, so what might only be slightly out at 70mph will be a lot more out at 140mph. Working out by revs is a more accurate way though tbh the question was answered with the 3rd post at 137mph. The rest is just a peeing contest.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”