Position of Phoenix Power InterCooler?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Warlock

Position of Phoenix Power InterCooler?

Post by Warlock »

I have a Phoenix Power InterCooler fitted, it came with the car. Whilst at Milway Hedley said that the positioning was not very good.
This was because the air coming in through the side air intake was hitting the bottom solid part of the intercooler and not the vanes (bear with me I am not too technical so I might have terms wrong). It was therefore not operating at the best performance.

Does anyone else on here have one of these intercoolers fitted? If so, have you got the same problem? Or have you solved it?
Would it be worth my while having it professionally repositioned? Come to that is it possible?

Any help would be great.
tubby_tony

Re: Position of Phoenix Power InterCooler?

Post by tubby_tony »

I know what you mean, but it cant be moved mate. All of the vanes are exposd to the inlet, just pretty high up. You should have a shroud between the inlet and the intercooler that ensures that all of the air is fed up to the vanes and cant go around the sides of the intecooler. You could fit a 7 inch puller fan on the inside of the intercooler if you have concerns about insufficient cooling. I have done this on my PP.
John Rees

Post by John Rees »

Hi, I also have this I/C and have the same thing.
I cleaned the area with white spirit ( BE CARFULL ) to clean it up and used silver duct tape to seal the gap inside the engine bay and inside the air intake.
You can do it without it looking messy or standing out.

Job done.

John
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

I've got same I/C as well! good elite club starting here!

It is mounted "quite" high up, but the panel/shroud thingy-me-bob appears to divert air up towards & into the I/C and looks tidy at doing it as well.

No real way to "lower" it in there, unless it's mounted totally wrong (don't see how tho), if the panel/shroud thing fits fine at the bottom, it's right.

If it works for PP silly BHP, it's good enough for me!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

One here too! :D

As steve said, its as low as it can go. The metal sheet does a good enough job at directing the air, must have been through some testing to get it rite?

Still its gotta be far batter than the standard one as all air is funnelled in the direction of the I/C unlike the stock one that just sits there in the big open void.
John Rees

Post by John Rees »

This I/C is about as good as you can get for the standard positon.
The plate works fine, the only draw back is a small gap about 1/2 " at the sides, as I said duct tape, cut in to strips is perfect.
All air now runs through the I/C

:roll:

Return to “Modifications”