It's that time of year again !

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

It's that time of year again !

Post by jimi »

MOT time, put my MR2 in last week and it failed on corrosion on the front inner sill/jacking points, both sides. :cry:

Put in into a local (recommended) welder this Monday, got it back Tuesday and put it in for a retest (day 10) today, passed no problem 8)
While it was up on the ramps I had a look at the repairs, rot had been cut out and new metal welded in, seam sealed and undersealed, even the tester said it was a decent job Cost £180 😎 very happy with that, will definitely use him again if needed. 👍
Here's a nice summer picture of it :wink:
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Re: It's that time of year again !

Post by wilkie senior »

Good news shes had more lifed breathed more life into her

:-)
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
jimi

Post by jimi »

Cheers Brian 8)

Got curious and did a little research on the MOT history of the car since I've owned it.

May 2024 will be the 20th anniversary of my ownership of this 1988 MR2 (I bought it on 13/5/2004) so this will be the 19th MOT I've put it through.

Out of the 19, 16 were done at the same test station by the same tester (now retired) and the rest by the current tester (still the same station)

Just checked the MOT history and this will be it's 4th failure
2006 failed on rear ball joints & handbrake - new ball joints & adjusted handbrake.
2009 failed on emissions & handbrake - replaced a porous vacuum pipe & adjusted handbrake.
2019 failed on headlight alignment - adjusted nearside headlight.
2024 failed on inner sill/jacking point corrosion (within proscribed area) - repaired.

There's also been a few advisories over the years, but I normally try and deal with them before the next MOT.

Not a bad record for a 36 year old :clap: 8)
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi JIm

No indeed i keep wanting to put a history of the 2 together, spoken to all the owners that have owned it apart from the very original (all OC & or IMOC) memebers since original owner not many cars can claim that i think ... :-)
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”