Rev 3 turbo engine problems - fuelling/fault code 14

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

Rev 3 turbo engine problems - fuelling/fault code 14

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Having engine problems with car off road since starting problems in December when it suddenly started cutting out on startup a lot having been driven normally an hour before.
Breakdown recovery thought it was fuelling - starvation such as blocked filter or tired fuel pump, and suggested replacing fuel filter first.
Could smell some fuel out the back so I dont think the fuel pump has failed.
Intermittent engine management light.
Drove it home with Recovery van following, and the engine ran normally uphill and downhill, but on one brief downhill dip in a housing estate I tried to accelerate a bit to help with the traffic flow between parked cars and it felt like I slammed the brakes.... the engine kept running and then idled normally for 15 mins chatting to the breakdown guy.
He said I didnt brake so I am guessing fuel cut?

Engine management light later identified as fault code 14. (Igniter/Coil/ECU or wiring)

At home the engine cutting out has since happened if it was dry or wet conditions, and also if the engine was cold or upto normal temp on the gauge.

Usual mr2 knowledgeable mechanic been unavailable so its been to local Toyota.
Getting it onto the tow truck it was a very strong fuel smell out the exhaust which the car does not normally have as it runs smooth.
Apparently it cut out when driven off the tow truck.

They have replaced the fuel filter to try and sort out the fuelling. Also done an A Service..
It was still running lumpy so they also fitted an igniter and coil supplied by me.
On removal the old igniter was found to be cracked and letting water in.

They said it is driveable and had not cut out on them. It is running lumpier than they would have liked on local roads 20-30mph and still got engine management light, but they dont have the diagnostic equipment for the import cars so not much else they can do with it.
(I thought if it is a little lumpy intermittently I might be able to drive it to my usual mechanic when available).

They asked if it was rev limited to 3000 rpm? Nope, but that sounds like a limp home mode - have they reset the ecu? I suggested disconnecting battery to reset ecu.

Invoice says it has fault code 44 - what does this mean as I cant find it in the usual places for ecu fault codes? Maybe a typo for 14 ... I will check on Monday.

When I got in the car to start it, it almost didnt want to start and looked like it was going to cut out if I didnt hold the revs around 1000 for a while.
After a couple/few minutes it seemed like it would keep running but the idle was all over the place between 500 and 1000 jumping around but mostly not enough to stall.
Engine management light was on constantly to start with and then intermittently.

I looked in engine bay and engine block was shaking quite a bit with smoke out the exhaust. I tried pulling the throttle cable several times to see what that did and sometimes it made it shake less and sometimes it shook just as bad. On one occasion the fuel in the exhaust popped.
Even when up to temperature the idle was still all over the place and engine management light on intermittently.

I have never seen the engine shake this much.

I left it with Toyota as I was not confident the engine would keep running, also it might make whatever is wrong with it worse.

Until this problem started in December it was running really sweet last year and lots of fun to drive. Usually a very reliable car.
Anyone got any ideas?
dex

Re: Rev 3 turbo engine problems - fuelling/fault code 14

Post by dex »

Check the capacitors in the ECU. There are several threads on the subject, e.g. https://www.imoc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1698948#p1698948
rick_2k

Re: Rev 3 turbo engine problems - fuelling/fault code 14

Post by rick_2k »

Just came to add support to the above post, I have a NA, code 14 sometimes.. ran really bad all of a sudden, over fuelling, rough idle, even stalling sometimes.

Well after replacing temp sensors, burping coolant for what feels like a thousand times, throttle position sensor, MAP/MAF (whichever one the NA has) none of it made a single bit of difference. I finally checked the ECU out and guess what? Of the 8 Capacitors 5 were visibly leaking, 2 bad enough to damage adjacent PCB tracks. One I'm pretty sure wasn't even connected to the board any more as a leg had completely corroded. How my car ran is really anyone's guess.

I replaced all 8 caps recently and re-routed the damaged PCB tracks with some surface wiring and it's transformed how my car runs, I'm sure I cant remember it ever running this well since I bought it 10 years ago. Revs freely and nicely, power is back, no flat spots, no rich fuel smell, no rough idle! Only thing is its lost some idle "bark and burble" out of the loud pipes (which was just the over fuelling I bet) :lol:

Everyone, if you haven't already, check the capacitors in your stock ECU's, 30 years hasn't treated them well. Judging by how many of these threads I'm seeing all over the net we are just walking into a ticking time bomb here. Anecdotally Rev 1&2 ECU less prone but could not see enough evidence to say for sure. I would argue 30 year old caps of any mk/rev/grade are highly likely to be out of spec by now regardless, it's not just life hours or heat but age definitely kills them also.

Job is easy enough to do for anyone competent with a soldering iron. You will need the replacement (quality) caps as listed in that thread, solder (w flux ideally) de-soldering tool, I personally use de-solder braid but lots of people people like the suckers, some isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds to clean the mess the old caps leave. Also, don't panic if the board's CXXX label number doesn't match, just make sure the capacitor values match. My Rev 3 UK ECU differed from a few guides online, I'm led to believe Rev 4+ is also different. The good thing is they all use the same caps just in slightly different locations and CXXX board numbers. The values of all 8 are as far as I can tell all the same (they were on mine, always check your own!)

We all need to be checking this before wasting money on sensors and other tasks like I did!

If you cba with ordering the capacitors yourself there is a seller that I used currently selling them on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115844810506 ... media=COPY Saves you having to buy them in bulk as most retailers have miminum order quantities etc. He has also written up a nice visual guide that comes with it pointing out where each cap is (note, as I said my Rev 3 looked slightly different but the caps were all the same values)

Good luck.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”