Car won't start, any ideas?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goto10

Car won't start, any ideas?

Post by Goto10 »

Hey, gen3 MR2 turbo, hasn't started in about 2 years (it did run back then, but had a bit if a misfire), I've put new leads/plugs/fuel/battery in, turns over fine, but I'm not getting a hint of life from the engine.
I've checked that I'm getting a spark at the plugs and I can smell fuel from the tailpipes. I've checked all the fuses, and all seem ok. Essentially I'm at the end of my very limited knowledge.
I'm going to try and buy a new igniter/coil this week, anything else worth picking up whilst I'm ordering those?

Thanks,
Steve.
Juliuswws

Re: Car won't start, any ideas?

Post by Juliuswws »

Hi Steve,

If you have spark, the igniter itself (and its grounding) should be alright.
I might consider changing the fuel filter and pop the ECU lid to see if any capacitors crapped itself.

Did you try opening the butterfly valve when cranking? The IAC valve could be stuck closed, not providing enough air for starting.
Don't think it matters much, but I would also check the vacuum pipe to the MAP sensor.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Julius
mr2magic

Re: Car won't start, any ideas?

Post by mr2magic »

Maybe also check static timing. Wouldn't be the first time a timing belt crapped out while standing.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”